Brown Gibbons Lang

BGL experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brown Gibbons Lang

Pros

BGL is a great environment to work in. It's a very collegial culture and guys are all very easy to get along with. The learning experience is great. The deal teams are fairly lean, thus you really have an opportunity to prove yourself. The senior bankers are knowledgeable individuals and really encourage you to step up and take on more responsibility.

Cons

The only real downside of working at BGL is perhaps that the pay is a little lower than industry norm. Also, the firm does not seem to be very well known and it doesn't have a level of prestige if that sort of thing matters to you.

The only advice would be to expand the Chicago office further and to create a stronger brand name in the industry.

BGL Solid Middle Market Bank - Must Pull Weight

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brown Gibbons Lang full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Team environment with a young culture.

Cons

Expected to deliver with minimal training.

Brown Gibbons Lang, why bulge bracket hours?

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Brown Gibbons Lang

Pros

Work experience in the middle market. They have a training program similar to other banks. You will have direct experience with the senior level people as well as attendance in management meetings and pitches.

Cons

Even though this is a boutique bank, the hours are long. I think the learning experience varies from person to person. I think the training is a little weak as well as the people helping you rise through the ranks. Also the brand name is lacking. It is going to be difficult to compete against other established middle market banks.

I think you get what you pay for. The loyalty for the company diminishes come bonus time.