Brown Mackie College

www.bmcaec.com

Brown Mackie College Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Brown Mackie College – Cincinnati – “Surgical Technology Lab”

Pros
  • Most other faculty and staff were friendly(in 4 reviews)

• Teaching experience to put on a resume(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, poor reputation in the community as a diploma mill(in 3 reviews)

• We asked many times if we were still going to have a job and they assured us our position was suecure(in 3 reviews)

Enjoyed my time there

Director of Career Services (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsTuition benefits, coworkers, working with students.

ConsCorporate office doesn't always know what works best for each different campus location.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility with campus level decisions.

Communication

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

ProsThe same issues or items can either be a pro or con. For example, the students who attend these types of colleges are either just starting out or changing his or her career. Because of this you can have very eager students, who want to learn. On the other hand you may get a few, who think that they are entitled to an A and argue over points.

ConsCommunication and pay. I find myself doing work related items during my off days and at times, with every issue it doesn't seem worth it considering how much we are paid.

Eyeopening!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed seeing the growth and changes that took place in the students from start to graduation! They inspired me!

ConsIt is hard to work anywhere when you don't believe in what you are doing! I learned I don't want to be in for profit education!

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit and observe what takes place in your admissions and financial aid departments. I know your standards regarding admissions and I feel the value should be based on quality not quantity!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of structure and consistency

Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) Salina, KS

ProsFlexible with classes you want to teach.

Consno benefits no consistency in work,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent when you hire adjunct professors and give them more than one class every 2 or 3 months

I love working at my campus

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThe culture is that of teamwork, customer service, and openness. The campus president is open to new ideas and generally backs up his managers.

ConsProprietary education pays notoriously low. There are not enough people to do all the work. Hate covering the front desk.

Part-time instructor in Health Services.

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsI enjoyed the people I worked with and the students I served very much. I was given opportunities to gain classroom teaching experience and share my passion for learning.

ConsThe part-time, month to month contract was not a secure career path...and did not pay very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage management to invest more in faculty positions and make more position full-time and secure, and less adjunct, month to month, with no security, to ensure you keep a strong cadre of instructors to meet student needs.

Downhill we go

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsMaking a difference in a students life.
    It is very rewarding when a student understands a concept.

ConsThe apathy present in management, management does not have a clue about education, they are all business and profit driven

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of education if all your concerned with is profits.
    Some programs make a lot and some don't, stop shutting down programs with a lower rate of return.

Typical For-Profit College

Assistant Director (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsMy salary was OK; I liked my immediate supervisor.

ConsComplete lack of ethics and the instructors in my department were worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up your instructors and middle management! When we tell you there are problems with instructors, allow us to get rid of them and hire better ones. When students fail, allow us to put an "F" in the computer instead of demanding we change their grades to "C" so you will make more money. How about just being ethical?

Career Services

ProsGood education benefits, core values for students are upheld

ConsPoor management on many levels, a level of discrimination in many ways

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point, not sure that they would care

A stepping stone to greater things.

Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros1. Decent Pay, by TX standards at least.
    2. Good benefits: LTD, PTO, medical, dental, vision, paid holidays, 401k, etc.
    3. Quality training and opportunity to learn new skills.

Cons1. Favoritism and Office Politics. Walk-ins are exclusively given to whomever is favored by the directors. Students are routinely stolen from one recruiter and gifted to another.
    2. Hostile Work Environment. Extensive micromanagement, deception, coercion, excessive pressure, manipulation.
    3. Lack of Accountability in Management. Directors routinely blame recruiters for lack of performance and refuse to take ownership of their position.
    4. Very High employee turnover. Many recruiters throughout the year leave under their own volition.
    5. Management does little to resolve interpersonal issues. Directors are immune from wrongdoing at all times. Ineffective management is propped up and given passes despite poor employee retention and poor performance.
    6. High levels of stress, frustration, and overwhelming negativity as a result of being overworked and hostility from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others as you would be treated.

Worked for Brown Mackie College? Contribute to the Community!