Brown Mackie College

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.7

CEO

Pros
  • Most other faculty and staff were friendly (in 4 reviews)

• Teaching experience to put on a resume (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, poor reputation in the community as a diploma mill (in 3 reviews)

• We asked many times if we were still going to have a job and they assured us our position was suecure (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Student Focused

I have been working at Brown Mackie College

Pros

Brown Mackie has great people and everyone is very student focused. It is like a family and everyone seems to care about each other.

Cons

It is a small college and most of the work load does seem to fall on adjuncts for both mentoring and tutoring students who often need much help.

No advancement!

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Brown Mackie College full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay was ok, but they will find any reasons not to give it to you. They lay off every single year!

Cons

There is no culture for employees or students. They only care about the numbers.

Have some morals!

Daring!

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Brown Mackie College part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's really hard to give a "pro" for Brown Mackie from any standpoint. I'm making a list . . . and there isn't a Santa Claus visit in sight.

Cons

This place ruins the name of education. I had good students but the majority were there for a ride. Many of these students needed extensive "catch up" education. I was too busy teaching the basics to even begin instructing college level work. Yes, we all need to brush up but this goes way beyond brushing up a person's skills. Then, the focus was "getting" these students out the door regardless of their grades!

To the students that were there to get an education, my hat is off to you! To the students who came in and worked hard, knowing that it would take a little more, I was pleased to help you!

More focus in giving these students what is really needed and not pushing them through!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here if you have a conscience

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Brown Mackie College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The money is very good for higher education. You can also attend school online for free, I was able to get my MBA.

Cons

The environment is very fast-paced and high stress. When I worked there I was forced to come in when I had mono. Management is hired for business acumen rather than people skills or passion for education. The dean while I worked there was a chiropractor. Admissions employees are treated like human slaves and are not encouraged to have work life balance. Human resources functions to maintain order for managers rather than help employees. The culture of for profit schools, like those managed by EDMC, functions by charging an exorbitant cost to those who cannot afford it without financial aid. The schools get paid and the students are saddled with unmanageable debt for their associates degrees. If you're ok with taking advantage of the uninformed, feel free to apply.

Be nice. Have a heart.

Rather pleasant for one of my first adjunct positions.

I have been working at Brown Mackie College

Pros

Dean was great and allowed me academic freedom as long as I taught the objectives.

Cons

Too many meetings--sometimes 2-3 per week!

Brown Mackie College Merrillville

Former Employee - Student Accounting Supervisor  in  Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Student Accounting Supervisor in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Brown Mackie College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great HR Benefits, great group of employees.

Cons

Need more innovation and current trends implemented

More management training.

Human Resources Manager

I worked at Brown Mackie College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth if you are willing to relocate. Benefits are great, salaries are competitive.

Cons

High turnover, poor reputation in the community as a diploma mill.

Complete Nightmare-Don't work here for more than one year!

I worked at Brown Mackie College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are looking to get into higher education, this is an easy foot in the door. The pay is competitive, and they do provide tuition reimbursement, albeit for one of their other for profit schools. I met some great people during my time here.

Cons

Promotions are based on nepotism and brown-nosing, rather than merit and education. Some of the highest ranking people in the company, even at the corporate level have associate degrees. On a campus level, they may not even have that. As an exempt employee, you are expected to work 6 days per week, and long hours at that. The work environment is toxic, with negativity and fear mongering trickling down from the top. There are constant lay offs and threats of firings.

Eliminate the completely ineffectual management and promote people who work hard and have the education to back up their position. Listen to suggestions. Instead of being threatened by talent and eliminating it, encourage staff and faculty to voice ideas and opinions. Be more considerate of work-life balance.

Good place

I worked at Brown Mackie College

Pros

IT's a good place to work, however, it is very fast paced, and there is a pressure to meet a goal every month. The students make it worth coming into work every day.

Cons

work-life to balance is difficult, and there is a constant micromanagement coming from corporate which has a tendency to make it harder to do your job.

No upward mobility

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Boise, ID

I have been working at Brown Mackie College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Other faculty and staff. The teachers support each other and help in any way they can.

Cons

Leadership does not support the teaching staff. Pay hasn't changed in more that 3 years.

Support your teachers, and stop accusing them.

Worked for Brown Mackie College? Contribute to the Community!