Brown Shoe Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014

Brown Shoe President, CEO, and Director Diane M. Sullivan
Diane M. Sullivan

Pros
  • Also good environment for young parents - work-life balance is highly emphasized (in 11 reviews)

• The job comes with a really good employee discount, making it great for anyone with growing children (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible upper management with the DM often ignored by SM (in 15 reviews)

• Only store managers receive merit increases (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

it was great honestly. i regret quitting

Former Employee - Head Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

very flexible with school, very very understanding. the people ive met while working in the company for 4 years were absolutely amazing. the managers train you if you wanna learn!.

Cons

management was unfair, especially the DM, unfair when it comes to higher positions, want only the associates to do everything

stop playing favoritism

Fun environment, great first job.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  New London, CT
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New London, CT

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment, with lots of great opportunity for quality customer interactions. The job comes with a really good employee discount, making it great for anyone with growing children. Decent health benefits for full-time employees, and most of the store managers I worked with were great.

Cons

Getting full-time hours can be difficult, especially for associates. Single person coverage means sometimes you have to let certain things slide. Compensation is not equal for amount of work managers put in.

Two person coverage at all times would help with LP issues. Also, having a way to reward employees when goals are made - not just store manager bonuses. It's demoralizing knowing your hard work is going into someone else's pocket.

A once good American Shoe Co that is getting rid of veteran managers & and taking away earned employee benefits

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good customer service and focus,

Cons

In store alone around 6 hours a day , not safe in todays retail enviroment , company is on a path of getting rid of managers who have help to build the company to save on benefits , took away last years earned benefits package with out paying out what was accrued.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

poor pay for a lot of work

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time

Pros

good communication family balance good training

Cons

long hours low pay sometime dirty warehouse work

give bonuses for high performers

store manager

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits 40% discount, competitive pay

Cons

unrealistic expectations, high theft, low hours. You spend most of your time either moving shoes or detouring shoplifters. not much time to give real customer service to the paying clients

There has to be a better way to control the controlables as you would say. The amount of theft that happens at each location is crazy. Give more payroll hours one person on the sales floor and multiple tasks given as well as opportunistic individual or groups take advantage of the limited staff.

Company needs improvement

Former Employee - Famous Footwear  in  Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Famous Footwear in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount is 30 percent off which is amazing. You learn about costumer service. You get to interact with people from all parts of the world

Cons

Shoplifting, pay was horrible. Schedule is never set. Managers only make a dollar more than sales associate for triple the work. Poor management. You start at 9.32$ , a manager that was there for three years topped out at 10.50.
    No full time, only for associate managers. No benefits for anything under. You can be replaced very easy

Work place was okay, management would tell you to do there job because they didn't want to. There needs to be a set schedule

A great place to work for(Assistant Manager)

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful 30% discount on ALL merchandise, very reasonable with family and friends using it as well.

The pay is very good for a retail job and the area that I'm in.

Very flexible with asking for time off(depends on the manager, mine happens to be awesome)

Work-life balance is very good as well. Can stay involved with the business while maintaining a social life.

Great opportunities for advancing in the company if your good at it.

Cons

Only Full-Time employees get benefits and paid vacation. Have to work 30+ hours a week to be considered Full-Time. And with fluctuating payroll I will average between 28-32 hours/week this year. So I can't be promised full-time.

Don't like the "Across the board" yearly wage increase. There are a few managers that should get a better raise than me, as well as a few I should get a better raise than.

Loss prevention can be tough without the proper training and the payroll to keep bodies on the floor.

Perhaps implement system that makes my hourly wage increase seem like I earned it. One based on individual improvement, not overall company performance.

Upgrade loss prevention program. Beepers at the doors to make the security sensors useful, and 1 camera at the door is all I ask for.

Great Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Best pay I had ever gotten in retail, easy work, relax managers, never really stressful environment

Cons

hours were not the best, but for that pay I didn't care

Great coworkers and environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers are very experienced and knowledgable and happy to help you progress in sales.
    You will get many opportunities such as more hours, promotions, etc. if you do well in sales.

Cons

There is no pay based on commission, so if you are great in sales it doesn't benefit you at all.
    Stores have limited employees (mine had 5) so it's harder to find substitutes from your store.

More theft prevention training

Lots of good change in the last few years!

Former Employee - Retail Planning Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Planning Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

culture is changing for the better!
    great discount
    determined and action oriented CEO
    good work life balance (most depts)

Cons

can get stuck sometimes depending on the department and feel like you might be pigeon-holed. Makes it difficult to change departments, etc.

allow for more flexibility when looking for positions in other areas of the company

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!