Brown Shoe

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014

Brown Shoe President, CEO, and Director Diane M. Sullivan
Diane M. Sullivan

Pros
  • Also good environment for young parents - work-life balance is highly emphasized (in 11 reviews)

• The job comes with a really good employee discount, making it great for anyone with growing children (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible upper management with the DM often ignored by SM (in 16 reviews)

• There are assistant managers who make more money than some store managers (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place if you love shoes.

I worked at Brown Shoe

Pros

Working at Brown Shoe was a great experience as well as a great environment to work in as a graduate.

Cons

I do not have any cons for the company.

A contractor for 6 months

I have been working at Brown Shoe

Pros

For women, it's great because you get shoes at a discount.

Cons

Leadership training is very limited.

Not the worst

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Brown Shoe

Pros

Decent weekend hours, ok pay. Not the most stimulating job ever.

Cons

Rude customers
    Theft
    Short staffed
    No payroll
    Too pushy with rewards, and no immediate benefits for the customers

Hire more assistant managers, give them the incentive to stay.

Top Employer of Top Talent!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros of working for this company are many... Environment, Defined company culture, Room for growth, Great benefits, Very good leadership, Company compliments the talent and vice-versa, Teams members are great, Excellent work life balance and the ability to be who your are.

Cons

1. Like many companies right now, we are doing more with less. It isn't necessarily a con, just the way things are in many companies right now. On the plus side, you are never board.

2. Some Directors give under performers better ratings on their review than they deserve and in turn those individuals get to hang around longer than they should. This effects the team. This could be due to the director of the team not wanting to look like they have failed.

The group of directors is a click. It is difficult to get "in" with them, and sometimes you feel like an outsider on your own team.

Sales Associate/Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Brown Shoe. The store had a great climate and my coworkers were fun to work with. The store pushed excellent customer service, which is a good skill.

Cons

The job began at a low pay scale.

Shoes are great, but company is not supportive

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts in store and online, the selection of product is great as well. Also the store environment is fun!

Cons

Without the stores staff there would be no support. DSM wasn't present and gave unclear answers

To DSM's... have a strong presence in the your stores, congratulate your teams on successes and give advice when it's needed!

Decent company to work for if you don't mind drama.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move up in company. Good discount. Provides you with knowledge needed if you seek it out. Don't find many coworkers that you can't get along with.

Cons

Pay increases diminished each year. Pay is almost non negotiable. A lot of "drama" or "gossip" throughout company. There are a lot of people throughout the company that don't really know or understand their job, and it never seems to get fixed. Yet people who do their job correctly get scrutinized if something is done wrong. The company's loss prevention policies are a joke. You basically can't do anything but you are constantly under the heat for your stores LP. This also makes it difficult to do your high customer service focus.

Actually work in the store for awhile. And then criticize the regular employees.

Fun job, but terrible corporate policy's

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work hard then you can get promoted. They offer benefits for part time help, but its confusing and you will take a pretty good chunk of your pay. You are able to learn a lot from the managers and it can be a pretty fun job. And the 30% off is a pretty good discount.

Cons

Corporate kind of sucks. They have been trying to do better, but single coverage for a larger store for 7-8 hours out of the day while trying to get all of your tasks done is just ridiculous. I have managers that understand that, but aren't give the opportunity to run the store effectively. Its not up to the store manager that makes the call about how much payroll they are given, but I'm sure if it was they would have a lot more to work with. Some stores are given more, but most aren't and when you are pushed so hard to control things like theft, task management, and be a strong sales person all at once for hours a day it becomes nearly impossible. All day long I have customers asking if I am the only person that is there and can help them and they are amazed that I am expected to do so much on my own. Also for the past 5-6 months I have been working 30-40 hours a week, yet because the company wont allow my manger to have someone in her store with full time status I am still considered part time and I am considering leaving the company because of this.

Corporate needs to start thinking about the people that run the stores and actually make it so their jobs are possible and less about what makes their job easier. We have to work our butts off everyday just for you to sit in an office all day long and not give a crap about us. Maybe you should try spending a week in our shoes and try to run a high theft store, help 10-20 customers at a time while you suspect that 3 of them are trying to steal from you, but are on opposite ends of the store and two people at the register just wanting to pay and get out. Not to mention you still have to sticker that rack of about 50-100 pairs of shoes that are sitting your back room all before the next person comes in at 5. I think its about time you guys start to give stores some more payroll to work with so we can do our jobs the way you want them to be done.

Its great

I worked at Brown Shoe

Pros

flexible, learning opportunity, good for first job

Cons

boring, bad hours, only managers get a good amount of hours

nice working environment

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

employee discount and nice working envoroment

Cons

not always the same working hours

Need to have more rewards to associates to stimulate productivity.