Brown Shoe

Updated November 24, 2014
2.9

Brown Shoe President, CEO, and Director Diane M. Sullivan
Diane M. Sullivan

Pros
  • Also good environment for young parents - work-life balance is highly emphasized (in 11 reviews)

• The job comes with a really good employee discount, making it great for anyone with growing children (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible upper management with the DM often ignored by SM (in 16 reviews)

• There are assistant managers who make more money than some store managers (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Shoes are great, but company is not supportive

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts in store and online, the selection of product is great as well. Also the store environment is fun!

Cons

Without the stores staff there would be no support. DSM wasn't present and gave unclear answers

To DSM's... have a strong presence in the your stores, congratulate your teams on successes and give advice when it's needed!

Decent company to work for if you don't mind drama.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move up in company. Good discount. Provides you with knowledge needed if you seek it out. Don't find many coworkers that you can't get along with.

Cons

Pay increases diminished each year. Pay is almost non negotiable. A lot of "drama" or "gossip" throughout company. There are a lot of people throughout the company that don't really know or understand their job, and it never seems to get fixed. Yet people who do their job correctly get scrutinized if something is done wrong. The company's loss prevention policies are a joke. You basically can't do anything but you are constantly under the heat for your stores LP. This also makes it difficult to do your high customer service focus.

Actually work in the store for awhile. And then criticize the regular employees.

Fun job, but terrible corporate policy's

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work hard then you can get promoted. They offer benefits for part time help, but its confusing and you will take a pretty good chunk of your pay. You are able to learn a lot from the managers and it can be a pretty fun job. And the 30% off is a pretty good discount.

Cons

Corporate kind of sucks. They have been trying to do better, but single coverage for a larger store for 7-8 hours out of the day while trying to get all of your tasks done is just ridiculous. I have managers that understand that, but aren't give the opportunity to run the store effectively. Its not up to the store manager that makes the call about how much payroll they are given, but I'm sure if it was they would have a lot more to work with. Some stores are given more, but most aren't and when you are pushed so hard to control things like theft, task management, and be a strong sales person all at once for hours a day it becomes nearly impossible. All day long I have customers asking if I am the only person that is there and can help them and they are amazed that I am expected to do so much on my own. Also for the past 5-6 months I have been working 30-40 hours a week, yet because the company wont allow my manger to have someone in her store with full time status I am still considered part time and I am considering leaving the company because of this.

Corporate needs to start thinking about the people that run the stores and actually make it so their jobs are possible and less about what makes their job easier. We have to work our butts off everyday just for you to sit in an office all day long and not give a crap about us. Maybe you should try spending a week in our shoes and try to run a high theft store, help 10-20 customers at a time while you suspect that 3 of them are trying to steal from you, but are on opposite ends of the store and two people at the register just wanting to pay and get out. Not to mention you still have to sticker that rack of about 50-100 pairs of shoes that are sitting your back room all before the next person comes in at 5. I think its about time you guys start to give stores some more payroll to work with so we can do our jobs the way you want them to be done.

Its great

I worked at Brown Shoe

Pros

flexible, learning opportunity, good for first job

Cons

boring, bad hours, only managers get a good amount of hours

It has it's Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff can be great to work with and the schedule is flexible.

Cons

The company doesn't understand the needs of its customers or stores. It results in frustrated staff and customers.
    Lack of payroll results in high turnover.

Listen to staff and customers.
    Make payroll sensible to the store

Run away as fast as you can!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rotating weekends off, 30% discount on cheaply made, mostly plastic shoes, most stores are located in strip centers, NOT malls.

Cons

Upper-management plays the "favorite" game. The starting pay rate for assistant managers can run the gamut depending on who hires you. There are assistant managers who make more money than some store managers.

It's not worth my time to give them advice.

Bad Overall Experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in River Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in River Forest, IL

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid and you get to choose your own hours. That's pretty much all I can think of. Oh, and you get a very minimal discount on the shoes and socks that you don't even want to buy in the first place

Cons

Annoying sales associates and the work is terribly meticulous. For example, you have to put stickers on a million boxes of shoes when there is a sale. I worked here to get a check, but I would recommend that you go elsewhere.

Make this place more fun. No one likes to work there.

nice working environment

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

employee discount and nice working envoroment

Cons

not always the same working hours

Need to have more rewards to associates to stimulate productivity.

Good Company

Former Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good discount, fun atmosphere

Cons

Bad dress code, annoying management

Great company!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wrentham, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wrentham, MA

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, fantastic employee discount, flexible schedule and willingness to transfer to new location if desired (for example moving to a different state/area)

Cons

Working in retail always has its challenges must be able to commit to extra hours around holiday times, only an issue when juggling a family schedule