Brown Shoe Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.1

Brown Shoe President, CEO, and Director Diane M. Sullivan
Diane M. Sullivan

Pros
  • Also good environment for young parents - work-life balance is highly emphasized (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount makes buying the new shoes exceedingly tempting, which is great for us shoe people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible upper management with the DM often ignored by SM (in 15 reviews)

• Only store managers receive merit increases (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

it was great honestly. i regret quitting

Former Employee - Head Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

very flexible with school, very very understanding. the people ive met while working in the company for 4 years were absolutely amazing. the managers train you if you wanna learn!.

Cons

management was unfair, especially the DM, unfair when it comes to higher positions, want only the associates to do everything

stop playing favoritism

store manager

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefits 40% discount, competitive pay

Cons

unrealistic expectations, high theft, low hours. You spend most of your time either moving shoes or detouring shoplifters. not much time to give real customer service to the paying clients

There has to be a better way to control the controlables as you would say. The amount of theft that happens at each location is crazy. Give more payroll hours one person on the sales floor and multiple tasks given as well as opportunistic individual or groups take advantage of the limited staff.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time for more than a year

Pros

The team that I work with is great. You can trust them with everything. Store manager is great.

Cons

The corporate managers such as the district manager and the Regional manager are a complete joke. If you are not liked by a district or regional manager they will do anything to try and find anything they can fire you on.

Get rid of these type of managers. They are killing this company that saved me from unemployment only to later close my store to get rid of my store manager

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Naturalizer, a regret from the first hour on my first day with the manager.

Current Employee - "Assistant Manager"
    Current Employee - "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time for less than a year

Pros

The discounts, flexible hours and co-workers.

Cons

Besides working alone when loss prevention and purse/bag checking is a big deal. My main challenge is the manager. She has been the manager for 4 years, yet has the "assistant manager" do all of the work she should be doing.
    I have had customers say they felt sorry for me because of her extremely pushy and overly loud demeanor . When my mom came in on one of my days off to shop, she introduced herself as my mother- with 5 employees the manager being one- the manager did not know who I was. I have new in the retail world long enough to know she should not be the boss and am continuing my employment search elsewhere.

If loss prevention external/ internal is such a big deal, then why is it ok for people to work alone the majority of the time? And just because you've had a store manager in that management position for some time, it doesn't mean they are currently the best choice for that position.

Company needs improvement

Former Employee - Famous Footwear  in  Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Famous Footwear in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount is 30 percent off which is amazing. You learn about costumer service. You get to interact with people from all parts of the world

Cons

Shoplifting, pay was horrible. Schedule is never set. Managers only make a dollar more than sales associate for triple the work. Poor management. You start at 9.32$ , a manager that was there for three years topped out at 10.50.
    No full time, only for associate managers. No benefits for anything under. You can be replaced very easy

Work place was okay, management would tell you to do there job because they didn't want to. There needs to be a set schedule

A great place to work for(Assistant Manager)

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful 30% discount on ALL merchandise, very reasonable with family and friends using it as well.

The pay is very good for a retail job and the area that I'm in.

Very flexible with asking for time off(depends on the manager, mine happens to be awesome)

Work-life balance is very good as well. Can stay involved with the business while maintaining a social life.

Great opportunities for advancing in the company if your good at it.

Cons

Only Full-Time employees get benefits and paid vacation. Have to work 30+ hours a week to be considered Full-Time. And with fluctuating payroll I will average between 28-32 hours/week this year. So I can't be promised full-time.

Don't like the "Across the board" yearly wage increase. There are a few managers that should get a better raise than me, as well as a few I should get a better raise than.

Loss prevention can be tough without the proper training and the payroll to keep bodies on the floor.

Perhaps implement system that makes my hourly wage increase seem like I earned it. One based on individual improvement, not overall company performance.

Upgrade loss prevention program. Beepers at the doors to make the security sensors useful, and 1 camera at the door is all I ask for.

Great Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Best pay I had ever gotten in retail, easy work, relax managers, never really stressful environment

Cons

hours were not the best, but for that pay I didn't care

Great coworkers and environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers are very experienced and knowledgable and happy to help you progress in sales.
    You will get many opportunities such as more hours, promotions, etc. if you do well in sales.

Cons

There is no pay based on commission, so if you are great in sales it doesn't benefit you at all.
    Stores have limited employees (mine had 5) so it's harder to find substitutes from your store.

More theft prevention training

Lots of good change in the last few years!

Former Employee - Retail Planning Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Planning Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

culture is changing for the better!
    great discount
    determined and action oriented CEO
    good work life balance (most depts)

Cons

can get stuck sometimes depending on the department and feel like you might be pigeon-holed. Makes it difficult to change departments, etc.

allow for more flexibility when looking for positions in other areas of the company

Great company

I have been working at Brown Shoe

Pros

Great culture and work life balance. High expectations on their people but empowering.

Cons

No real cons working for Brown Shoe.

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!