Brown Shoe

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014

Brown Shoe President, CEO, and Director Diane M. Sullivan
Diane M. Sullivan

Pros
  • Also good environment for young parents - work-life balance is highly emphasized (in 11 reviews)

• The job comes with a really good employee discount, making it great for anyone with growing children (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible upper management with the DM often ignored by SM (in 16 reviews)

• There are assistant managers who make more money than some store managers (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time

Pros

It's a paycheck and there is a small discount on shoes (30% off at Famous Footwear and shoes.com)

Cons

If you're looking for a career, Brown Shoe is not a good choice. I saw many people come into the company and get stuck in an entry level position for years. If someone excels at their job, management keeps them in that role rather than moving them up to a higher level. Upper management has chosen the people they see as the future leaders in their organization and those are the people who are spoon-fed positions (regardless of if they excel at their current role) while the others sit and wait.

As for the culture itself, there was not very much privacy. Cubicles are low and you can see everyone around you. Meaningless, gossipy conversation is the norm, and your fellow employees are absolutely watching the clock for you. VPs don't even get offices meaning if you need to have a private conversation with your manager, it is likely that everyone will know your business and be gossiping about it by the end of the day. In my department there were two women who were especially cruel. When I went to my manager, she admitted that there were several complaints but never actually did anything about it.

I think the biggest issue with the company is the upper management. It is obvious that business as usual is not working. However, instead of empowering their people to think outside of the box and try new approaches, they point the finger at people. This creates a culture of fear, especially since layoffs are commonplace. The entire shoes.com buying team was laid-off, because they didn't think they were good at their jobs. However, they then had those same people train the new people before they left. How is this supposed to fix the problem that the current process does not work? It is setting up your replacement team for failure.

I would not recommend this company to a friend or stranger.

Understand that there are talented people within your organization and actually develop them. Practice what you preach when it comes to development.

It has it's Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff can be great to work with and the schedule is flexible.

Cons

The company doesn't understand the needs of its customers or stores. It results in frustrated staff and customers.
    Lack of payroll results in high turnover.

Listen to staff and customers.
    Make payroll sensible to the store

Run away as fast as you can!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rotating weekends off, 30% discount on cheaply made, mostly plastic shoes, most stores are located in strip centers, NOT malls.

Cons

Upper-management plays the "favorite" game. The starting pay rate for assistant managers can run the gamut depending on who hires you. There are assistant managers who make more money than some store managers.

It's not worth my time to give them advice.

Bad Overall Experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in River Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in River Forest, IL

I have been working at Brown Shoe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid and you get to choose your own hours. That's pretty much all I can think of. Oh, and you get a very minimal discount on the shoes and socks that you don't even want to buy in the first place

Cons

Annoying sales associates and the work is terribly meticulous. For example, you have to put stickers on a million boxes of shoes when there is a sale. I worked here to get a check, but I would recommend that you go elsewhere.

Make this place more fun. No one likes to work there.

nice working environment

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Brown Shoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

employee discount and nice working envoroment

Cons

not always the same working hours

Need to have more rewards to associates to stimulate productivity.

Good Company

Former Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good discount, fun atmosphere

Cons

Bad dress code, annoying management

Great company!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wrentham, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wrentham, MA

I worked at Brown Shoe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, fantastic employee discount, flexible schedule and willingness to transfer to new location if desired (for example moving to a different state/area)

Cons

Working in retail always has its challenges must be able to commit to extra hours around holiday times, only an issue when juggling a family schedule

Was great at first when I started working for them 8 years ago.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (Key Holder) in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (Key Holder) in Auburn, WA

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the company of other employees. Great team experience. Flexible hours.

Cons

Corporate was a problem. I came in sick. Came in on my days off. Worked during extreme natural inconviences. Windstorms/snowstorms.
    But still I was let go because of a rule I wasn't aware of. Company also put me on forced sick leave after I broke my arm even when a doctor said it was ok to work. Corporate cares nothing for it's hard working, "can do" employees.
    Also lots of gossip throughout corporate and the stores brown shoe runs. The use of information obtained by sister-stores to get a person fired.

I am hoping that they would find value in hard-working employees instead of judging someone's ability to do a job based on their personal life outside of the job.

good company to work for short term

I worked at Brown Shoe

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Brown Shoe, though I knew it was only going to be a temporary duration which actually made it all the more enjoyable. Easy work, decent pay, clear objectives.

Cons

Scheduling is skewed and biased, unfriendly coworkers, constantly shifting management protocols, management gets really hypocritical at times and it is often difficult to follow what they are saying

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rockwall, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rockwall, TX

I worked at Brown Shoe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is good under the right management.

Cons

It is difficult to obtain a good schedule. Not enough professionalism applied.

Improve their training.