Brown Shoe

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brown Shoe President, CEO, and Director Diane M. Sullivan

Diane M. Sullivan

Pros
  • Also good environment for young parents - work-life balance is highly emphasized (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount makes buying the new shoes exceedingly tempting, which is great for us shoe people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible upper management with the DM often ignored by SM (in 15 reviews)

• Only store managers receive merit increases (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Starter

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Skokie, IL

ProsMeet great people and great discount 30% for family and friends. Very flexible for students and they promote within. You will always have something to do or work on, which usually helps time go by fast.

ConsTraining process, F.I.T planner and the videos on the computer feel like a waste of time.

It all Depends on location

Assistang Manager (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

Proscan be a great environment with room to grow but it depends on the specific store.

ConsThe pay isn't great and trying to get HR to do much of anything can be a pain

Good experience-as long as you like people!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLost of coaching and training if you are willing to put the time in. Depending on your immediate manager, you have the opportunity for success. flexible schedule and decent pay.

ConsWay to much focus on numbers! Our daily goals are a little ambitious. Upper managements suggestions and ideas are not applicable in real life situations-they look good on paper, but not feasible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shoving suggestions down our throats and come work the front line once in a while so you will see that your suggestions don't work and so that you can actually help us.
    ****Customers are not always right-FYI*****

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful!!

Style & Trend Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsAt the time I was employed at Brown Shoe it was a wonderful opportunity in fashion that I would not have otherwise been able to obtain in the St. Louis area.

ConsThere was no job security!!

Advice to Senior ManagementReally get to know what your employees are really doing in their day to day jobs. I was the only one at Brown that did what I did and no one above me really understood the job and all of the many different things I did for the company. It's a shame because my skill level was very vast and when my dept. closed they couldn't find a job for me within the company because they didn't understand what I did!!! CRAZY!!!!!!

Worth Working for

Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) Shirley, NY

ProsPromotions, Opportunity growth, Leadership, Valuable and skill development, train accordingly

ConsGossip, rules, balance, and very challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you train consistently everyone should be trained to the same status and treat your employees the same. Don't let one feel like they're less than the other. Contain a positive vibe

I grew professionally as well as personally at Brown Shoe. It was a phenomenal experience.

Director, Talent Management (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe leaders actually care about people and believe in doing the right thing. They have heart and it shows in their leadership, culture, and policies. Strong investment in and committment to leadership development. Decision-making moved at a glacial pace sometimes, but strategic planning was excellent.

ConsThere is some leftover culture from a previous era of leadership that goes directly against the philosophies and beliefs of the current executive team. Communication from executive team down could use improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Do more with Leadership Through People Skills.

Let's assistants run the company

Store Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood pay that is it

ConsUpper management lets the staffs dictate what's goes on with the managers they the use of the jntegrity team hotline in the past year dsm and store managers of 10 plus years have been fired unjustly because they allow the assistant managers to get away with it. If you do not want to be the one in charge of your store than this is the company for you can't hold anyone accountable!'

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace some Hr reps and regionals who allow this crap to go on take a closer look at who is really running your stores because it is not the ones with the store manager title

Enjoyable work environment

Demand Planner (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThere is a good balance between work and family promoted here. It is an enjoyable work environment.

ConsNo succession planning must leave to advance

Working here is great, until people start leaving and you don't quite make your numbers.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood discount, some good people, and you are on your feet constantly.

ConsSome really bad/annoying people, you are on your feet constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling your employees that they need to make their numbers especially when they have worked for you for 2+ years and usually make them. If you decide to change something and your associates tell you it is a bad idea or doesn't work, don't keep it! You big wigs up at corporate offices don't know what goes on in our stores. We do! We are the front lines so stop giving us things that will "make it easier" on us when it just makes life more difficult and drives people to leave the company like me.

Good job until upper management micro-managed districts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFairly easy job, discount and no real previous experience needed

Consnights/weekends/holidays suck. DSM blames everyone but himself for mistakes

Advice to Senior Managementnew dsm

Worked for Brown Shoe? Contribute to the Community!