Brown University

Brown University Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Brown University President Christina Paxson

Christina Paxson

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, new facilities and resources for biomedical research, there are many perks in providence for brown employees a well"
    in 6 reviews
  • "It's prestigious (an Ivy league school)"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours best describe a graduate student's life, but this is true anywhere"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Research opportunities for non-Brown University graduate level researchers are limited"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Brown Dining Services

I have been working at Brown University part-time

ProsGood pay and chances for advancement for students.

ConsAt the student management level, you are practically always on-call.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that students have a life outside of work.

just soso

Graduate Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brown University full-time for more than 3 years

Prosget paid well at least

Consoffice politics is hard to understand

Great place to work, although the center is quite dysfunctional.

I have been working at Brown University

ProsGreat people to work with, great opportunities and benefits. We often had outside collaborators as well so I had the chance to gain exposure to different fields, different types of projects and different people.

ConsThe center did not have enough staff and things would get quite crazy before deadlines. We often needed to take people away from their current project and put them on projects with urgent deadlines to help out. We often did not make the deadlines and had to ask for extensions.

Very good

I have been working at Brown University

ProsSolid education quality as an Ivy League institution.

ConsNot so much to say about this.

great campus, great departments

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brown University full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbeautiful campus, all kinds of student-run organization, freedom of speech and rally, a great gym with fantastic fitness center, a multifunctional busy street with all types of restaurants.

Conssmall campus, it seems there is no other great place around campus to hang out with friends except place mall in downtown. some departments are a little small

Teach Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Brown University part-time for less than a year

ProsLearn something in the lab

Conssalary is not so high

Advice to Senior ManagementBrown is good university

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

An amazing opportunity for a physisist albeit loooong hours

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Brown University full-time

ProsWorld-class research in experimental particle physics. More than ample opportunities to pursue world-class research, work with the best people in the field. Adequate financial support. Benefits better than most places. Management takes very good care of postdocs and students.

ConsLong hours and complete lack of work-life balance. Slightly below average salary for postdocs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and share a realistic vision of career prospects for students and postdocs. Do not try to squeeze more work ours out of employees, a better structure is preferable and will likely lead to better productivity.

Great people & benefits, low salaries & opportunities for advancement

Varied Over Time But Academic Unit (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brown University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople at Brown are genuinely smart and interesting and mostly very kind. Many lectures and events on campus are free, so if you want to immerse yourself in the intellectual community, it's easy to do so. The benefits are fantastic, particularly excellent health insurance, and at lower salary levels, you contribute very little towards the premium. Plus employees get lots of vacation/sick time, "summer hours," and the week off between Christmas and New Year's.

ConsSalaries are quite low, even compared to other area universities and research . And there are few opportunities for career advancement. Academia has very few structures in place to actually promote good employees and weed out the deadwood or incompetent. Plus Brown itself still has a bit of an identity crisis as it wants to be a world-class university but until recently it was mostly a residential college so it has kind of a provincial attitude about certain things, particularly in admin units. Department Chairs are not HR managers, and sometimes can't recognize when someone really isn't pulling his or her weight - they aren't interested in investing their limited time to figure out systems and to advance careers for those who are actually competent. HR people are helpful but operate on a corporate model, and many academic jobs don't really fit into neat little boxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrown loses good people because the salaries are low, there are few opportunities to move on in one's career, particularly if you have advanced training in a certain field, and there is a sense of institutional inertia. More than once I've heard someone who left say, "There IS life after Brown!"

Great Benefits, Poor salary for most administrative roles

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brown University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits including tuition reimbursement for employees, $10k towards dependent's tuition and health care costs on a sliding scale essentially based on your salary.

ConsPoor infrastructure, poor support, poor training of staff. No plan in place to promote within. Salary notoriously low and benefits shrink, cost of parking increases, free gym membership no longer exists. Open during hazardous weather conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline and train, communicate efficiently, think things through before implementing, ask for input from those that do the administrative work.

(As a student worker:) Flexible hours, self directed work, etc.

Student Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brown University part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility, steady hours as necessary, easy access to jobs if you know the right dean/professor

ConsObscure hiring process if you don't know the right individual

Worked for Brown University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brown University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brown University CEO Christina Paxson. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by Brown University employees.