Brown University

Brown University Reviews in Rhode Island

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Brown University President Christina Paxson

Christina Paxson

Pros
  • Great academic climate, great benefits(in 7 reviews)

• It's prestigious (an Ivy league school)(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours best describe a graduate student's life, but this is true anywhere(in 3 reviews)

• Research opportunities for non-Brown University graduate level researchers are limited(in 9 reviews)

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great institution to work for

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Providence, RI

Pros-Benefits
    -Laid back atmosphere
    -Opportunities for networking
    -Tuition reimbursement

Cons-Not a lot of opportunity for growth
    -Salaries are not very negotiable

Library student staff

Library Student Staff (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsFlexible hours, you can do homework while on duty

ConsIf you're new, you don't always get your first choice of hours

Unorganized but in a wonderful city

Residential Advisor (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsBrown attracts some wonderful people to Providence. The city itself is surprisingly cool, with a great food and art scene. Some of the best restaurants I've ever been to in my life.

ConsVery bureaucratic- I fee like I could have planned some things much better than the people they have above me. Lots of pointless meetings and bad food.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to stream-line things and have a reason for doing what you're doing, instead of "just because".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

UTRA researcher

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsIt was great research opportunity. I got to establish good relation with my professor. I learned a lot about scientific research techniques and adapted into a lab environment. Co-workers are very intelligent and helpful.

ConsThe payment nearly or not all covered the expenses. It was a bit lonely to work on campus during summer

wonderful time, fun people, good students

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Providence, RI

Prosgood benefits, relaxing pace and room for growth

Consthere were no cons at this job

Advice to Senior Managementget management who really understand diversity, particularly in regards to race and gender

just soso

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Providence, RI

Prosget paid well at least

Consoffice politics is hard to understand

great campus, great departments

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Providence, RI

Prosbeautiful campus, all kinds of student-run organization, freedom of speech and rally, a great gym with fantastic fitness center, a multifunctional busy street with all types of restaurants.

Conssmall campus, it seems there is no other great place around campus to hang out with friends except place mall in downtown. some departments are a little small

Teach Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsLearn something in the lab

Conssalary is not so high

Advice to Senior ManagementBrown is good university

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great people & benefits, low salaries & opportunities for advancement

Varied Over Time But Academic Unit (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsPeople at Brown are genuinely smart and interesting and mostly very kind. Many lectures and events on campus are free, so if you want to immerse yourself in the intellectual community, it's easy to do so. The benefits are fantastic, particularly excellent health insurance, and at lower salary levels, you contribute very little towards the premium. Plus employees get lots of vacation/sick time, "summer hours," and the week off between Christmas and New Year's.

ConsSalaries are quite low, even compared to other area universities and research . And there are few opportunities for career advancement. Academia has very few structures in place to actually promote good employees and weed out the deadwood or incompetent. Plus Brown itself still has a bit of an identity crisis as it wants to be a world-class university but until recently it was mostly a residential college so it has kind of a provincial attitude about certain things, particularly in admin units. Department Chairs are not HR managers, and sometimes can't recognize when someone really isn't pulling his or her weight - they aren't interested in investing their limited time to figure out systems and to advance careers for those who are actually competent. HR people are helpful but operate on a corporate model, and many academic jobs don't really fit into neat little boxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBrown loses good people because the salaries are low, there are few opportunities to move on in one's career, particularly if you have advanced training in a certain field, and there is a sense of institutional inertia. More than once I've heard someone who left say, "There IS life after Brown!"

Great Benefits, Poor salary for most administrative roles

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsBenefits including tuition reimbursement for employees, $10k towards dependent's tuition and health care costs on a sliding scale essentially based on your salary.

ConsPoor infrastructure, poor support, poor training of staff. No plan in place to promote within. Salary notoriously low and benefits shrink, cost of parking increases, free gym membership no longer exists. Open during hazardous weather conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline and train, communicate efficiently, think things through before implementing, ask for input from those that do the administrative work.

Worked for Brown University? Contribute to the Community!