Brown & Brown Insurance

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brown & Brown Insurance President & CEO J. Powell Brown

J. Powell Brown

Pros:
  • "There are some good people in the ranks but the good one rarely stay"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Good work environment, challenging work with variety of responsibilities"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management has a very David Koresh view; either you buy in or you're out"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Most of the money is kept by the sales people and senior management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience as an internship

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance as an intern for more than a year

ProsGreat working environment and very supportive for an entry level position. I learned a lot about insurance and was able to interact with clients which was very helpful. I was given great tools to move up in the industry and took a lot of lessons with me into my new career

ConsAs an intern I didn't experience much of the normal office cons such as work life balance or time off policies

Good Company to Work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecentralization of the company is good

ConsNo cons to comment on

Satisfying Year

Benefits Consultant (Former Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company is BIG on teamwork and communication.

ConsIt was a challenge to prove myself in this organization.

Corporate Politics at Its Worst

Insurance Producer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsStock options, PTO, Benefits, Flex hours depending on office, social outings, hour lunch break, decent work environment mostly, 401k and investment options

ConsCorporate Politics, Very gossipy office, Upper management plays favorites, low salaries unless you are upper management, no clear direction, constant change.

Advice to Senior ManagementProviding company wide training would be nice instead of throwing employees into the fire. Communication would be key as well, as it would have been nice to not always have a closed door. Also, keep corporate politics out if your offices and stop showing favoritism - yes it's that obvious. Wholesale division is a mess despite "growth." No value is offered here as they run a "lean" business where only budget matters. This means cut throat mentality with unexpected layoffs. Beware.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Pioneer

Triage Analyst (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe fiscal figures is at a break even ratio. No gains and no losses.

ConsThe company need a stronger base for obtaining new accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake attempts to open up more growth opportunities for employees.

I worked for another top three insurance broker for 15+ years and found working for Brown & Brown has been far better.

Vice President Corporate Team Leader (Current Employee)
Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEntrepreneurial Spirit - Thoroughly enjoy applying my knowledge and creativity in bringing solutions to clients. It’s also a pleasure to be in a position of knowing I’m contributing to the future of the company by mentoring young professionals and sharing my skills and knowledge.

ConsIf I have to identify an area I’d like to see improvement it would be in the area of networking with other professionals across regions and/or the country. This would greatly improve the expansion of knowledge across the country and make us an even stronger organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some thought to establishment of best practice groups across various industry sectors in order to share knowledge and capitalize on the strengths of our good people.

Bad experience they extremely greedy and selfish

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Prossolid company financially
pays dividends
has retirement plan 401k

ConsThe are willing to pay over a $1,000,000 to get a new CFO and Pay him $800,000 per year annual salary with possibility of a bonus but cannot give the working people (the ones who actually do the work) even a bonus let alone a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet of the greedy high horse and recognize who provides your living.

Painstaking...

Manager (Current Employee)
Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe employee stock purchase plan is a great benefit.

ConsThis has now become a job and not a career. I go to work each day and night to bring home a decent pay check, but putting on a fake smile is tiring. Two new leaders have changed the Florham Park office morale. We all came back from the annual meeting and it was dreadful to spend with leadership that is sneaky and backstabbing. Time for me to jump ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementToss the new leadership in Florham Park.

Good company to work for

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsEach office is decentralized so I can only speak of my own office. It's very relaxed and casual. As long as you get your work done it seems like nothing else matters. This company has all the great benefits of a large corporation but each office is ran like a small mom and pop shop.

ConsThere isn't much room for growth in the service side.

Terrible Environment

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Rye Brook, NY

I have been working at Brown & Brown Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNot too many positive things to say. Office is nice, coworkers are nice, work load not too heavy,

ConsWe were recently acquired by Brown & Brown. What a let down. The new corporate executives are stuffed shirts, they gave a few power hungry maniacs in the our office power to run things. Managers who were barely tolerable before are insufferable now. They spend lots of time behind closed doors accomplishing nothing. The previous owners are on auto pilot waiting to cash out. Morale is terrible, many of us are looking for jobs.

Rollins had a solid reputation before selling but I see this place on a quick path to crash and burn

Advice to Senior ManagementStart managing for results and stop dictating. Stop all the touchy feely nonsense and find out what us really going on. Most of us are terrified to speak up as the dictator mentality will retaliate

Stop talking about what you want to happen and actually vest some time to make it happen. Follow through once in a while.

Worked for Brown & Brown Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brown & Brown Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brown & Brown Insurance CEO J. Powell Brown. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Brown & Brown Insurance employees.