Brown & Brown Insurance

Be The First To
Add Photos

Brown & Brown Insurance President & CEO J. Powell Brown

J. Powell Brown

Pros
  • Great benefits package including 401k, employee stock options and paid time off(in 3 reviews)

• There are some good people in the ranks but the good one rarely stay(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, not much teamwork or organization(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has a very David Koresh view; either you buy in or you're out(in 4 reviews)

Awesome Large company experience...if that's what you're looking for

Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosgood resources and focus on sales. A sales organization that has sales at the 'heart' from the top down.
    a fun environment if you like awards trips and events with lots of alcohol
    fairly structured process for success
    good ladder opportunities if you want to be involved in commercial insurance sales
    their de-centralized approach to business is nice for the local markets to make the best decisions

Consa fun environment if you like awards trips and events with lots of alcohol, or lots of time wasted if you don't drink...but still a great chance for lots of blackmail content if you're into that kind of thing.
    if you plan to grow in benefit sales...look elsewhere. Their focus is commercial insurance (P&C) for the most part....there are some really good benefit folks in the company, but they've paved the way for the company. The company has a de-centralized approach to doing all business, this is awesome for Commercial insurance and benefits, but with benefits they should be better leveraging their size with benefits carriers.

Advice to Senior Managementfollow through on your statement to 'enhance employees' more thoroughly. Spend time getting to know employees before making big decisions. Sometimes the best decisions to the bottom line adversely affect not just the expendable employees, but quickly destroy positive work cultures that have been established.

I enjoy working here. Good Benefits

Account Specialist (Current Employee) Orange, CA

ProsVery nice and friendly people

ConsThe biggest problem is they do not train.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain more and appreciate the people you have

Fantastic employer!

Insurance Producer (Current Employee) Daytona Beach, FL

ProsGood environment, they really take care if their employees and strive to make them happy.

ConsNeed more competetive pay in departments other than commercial.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love my job! I love working for a company that takes care of their employees. I love the opportunity for growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

J Powell Brown, are you reading what your employees are saying about your company?

Account Manager (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsThe facilities are nice. For the most part the "worker bees" are extremely pleasant and as nice a bunch of co-workers you can find. The pay scale is adequate and they sweeten the deal by advertising a bonus paid twice a year.

ConsThe "Audit" is a joke. Your bonus is largely based on an audit of your files and the handling and compliance of your assigned accounts following their guidelines. 1st you don't get any training in your job, then you get audited on your accounts and you get marked off for things that occurred before you were ever employed by the company and that's a factor in your bonus. In NJ you can count a string of Account Managers that came before you - 6 Account Managers in a year is scary and is commented on by the client. Half the time the account is already a cancelled account when it is assigned to you. You are given guidelines of what needs to be done for every account and who does what, however, if the salesperson who is assigned the account ignores the dictates of the company it is up to the servicer to wipe their butt for them and address the coverage issues they have ignored or the telephone calls not returned or to explain why the coverage they want to sell is substandard to the client's needs. Most initial conversations with the client started out with me apologizing to the client for poor service. The computer system is not to a professional standard making the production of quality documents for your insured difficult to produce, time consuming or nonexistent and most of the computer files are empty shells with no information. So how did you write the risk with the carrier the first time with no information? Make it up as you go along?

This is a sales driven company, however, the sales division is run by leaders who recruit from college (haven't seen a woman recruited yet) and are sent to school to get a license and are turned out with virtually no experience to review an account accurately for what kind of insurance is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have read all of the other reviews and they are an accurate picture of the company- particularly the NJ Office.
    The CEO came to our office recently and gave a very eloquent speech on what he wanted for the company. If he really believed what he was saying he would put a stop to middle management's behaviors, and should start auditing his sales force. It is a minefield of E&O's waiting to explode.

Competitive and can be unfriendly enviroment

Account Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Orange, CA

ProsDecent benefits company is financially strong.

ConsVery low pay, not much teamwork or organization. Money is the most important thing not people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't think they would listen. They have it all figured out.

Very poor management, understaffed, very low morale

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsGood benefits, time off allowed is good

ConsThe management is very poor. Staff is under-paid and given heavy workloads. There is a divisive atmosphere between producers and staff created by management encouraging each to complain about the other and then finds fault with the staff person rather than attempting to solve the issue. Turnover is high and nobody seems to understand why - or possibly they don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at management in your offices. Some are very vindictive and if you see low morale, the reason is usually lack of good management capabilities.

Poor management and underpaid

Property & Casualty Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Mandeville, LA

ProsGreat benefits package including 401k, employee stock options and paid time off

ConsLean and mean is an understatement, greatly underpaid, unrealistic workload, no mentoring and no room for advancement.

Poor Business Owner

Tax Specialist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsVery poor company to work for.

ConsBeing acknowledge by your work not by the people you know.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Florham Park office if falling apart - one brick at a time

Account Manager (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsPast employees are finding jobs elsewhere and are able to lead very productive lives AFTER leaving the Florham Park office. Current employees are finding places to interview and are being hired by companies who care about them AND treat them as human beings. (There is life after B&B.)

ConsThe two "leaders", for lack of a better word, are still being allowed to bully, humiliate, intimidate and torment those employees who are still working there. The place is like working within a prison system, everyone is scared to death that they will be the next one on the chopping block. And with good reason too! EVERYONE still there expresses how miserable they are and the two "leaders" are enjoying every moment watching their current employees suffer. Karma comes back to all of us and those two will get theirs ten fold!!! In fact, they have already started getting theirs but the best is yet to come.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like to have faith in the upper management of this Company but something tells me that upper management is okay with the way the Florham Park office is operating. I think the board of directors needs to step in and put a stop to this nonsense, which has gone on for far too long, effective immediately.

Good Company to Work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecentralization of the company is good

ConsNo cons to comment on

Worked for Brown & Brown Insurance? Contribute to the Community!