Brown and Caldwell Reviews

73 reviews filtered by
3.8
Brown and Caldwell CEO Craig A. Goehring
Craig A. Goehring

Pros
  • Being based in California and having purchased some companies with older smart people, the culture is ok (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, decent benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • My team has a lot of Project Managers and it top heavy (6 technical staff with 6 PMs) (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management wants few support employees to do the work of many (in 3 reviews)

1. Great place to work and be a part of the BC Family!

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work with the best experts in the industry, enjoy coming to work everyday, and get to work on really cool projects, BC is the place to work! BC's company values make it a desirable place to work for me - as a private company, I can trust our management and leadership have us, the employees, in mind when making business decisions. BC is a step up from other engineering firms because BC focuses on personal connection with clients, doing the right thing, and delivering the BC experience.

Cons

Some growing pains with growing the company with more clients and staff, but nothing that can't be worked out!

2. Great Company

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell

Pros

Private consulting firm with a strong client base in the municipal water/waste-water industry. Amazing people to work with.

Cons

If you do not like to work with governments, this would not be the employer for you.

3. Health and Safety takes priority

Current Employee - Hydrogeologist

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working for a company that truly cares about me and my safety. Health and safety always takes a priority. If I ever felt unsafe, I would feel totally comfortable to contact my supervisor and stop work if needed. My working environment is open and friendly. There are many opportunities for professional growth and my supervisors encourage me to grow and learn.

Cons

Sometimes the long hours of travel are draining, but that would be the case working for any environmental company. I really cannot think of any cons. My office might be uniquely awesome.

Keep doing awesome work and stressing the important issues, health and safety, personal development, and professional development. Maybe stress inter-office bonding more and communal events.

5. It's fun growing this company into a full-service firm!

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The projects are diverse and interesting, leadership seems to be identifying and addressing barriers to success, and the technical systems support is outstanding. I have never seen a company with so much control over their own electronic systems in terms of making them work for their business needs. I am not saying "everything is perfect", but all the systems seem to be changing in the correct direction, and there is never resistance to solving an identified issue. The business is changing by plan and strategy from professional services to full-service, which creates a lot of excitement!

Cons

Because we operate as a virtual company with collaboration from around the country, there are times when each stakeholder's role isn't fully understood. In time, this will work itself out.

Consider revamping the sick time/vacation time division. Each of my past employers used paid time off, which allowed for better management of time away from work. A lot of our new employees have come from a single large competitor, consider a more diverse pool of candidates so we don't take on that large competitor's identity (they left there for a reason).

6. Great group of people

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time

Pros

BC is a leader in Civil/Environmental Engineering field and is highly respected throughout the industry. Good benefits, great people and employee owned!

Cons

This is only my second job in the industry but BC is not a huge corporation (Tetra Tech, URS, etc.) so they don't have as many people to fill gaps in contracts. This could be a pro as well depending on your situation and how you look at it.

Give everyone a raise!

7. Focused company that cares about their employees, to an extent.

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As starting as an entry level employee straight out of college, Brown and Caldwell works hard to train their employees for their position. Unlike many other (larger) companies in the environmental consulting field you aren't just a number and the company cares about your career progression path.

Cons

Entry level field staff are expected not to have a life outside of work. Constant hotel stays at sites up to 6 hours away from your office location (usually no weekend work). You can try to "complain" about it and they will appease you for about a week and then its back out to hotels. Obviously field work is expected, but not when you are traveling to locations where other offices are closer to the site.

A work-life balance is important to maintain. Entry level field staff get burnt out while constantly staying in hotels. Most of them prefer field work to mindless office tasks, but constant travel takes a toll on their personal lives.

8. BC is Growing, Come Grow with Us!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the Water/Wastewater industry of over 12 years mostly on the I&C and electrical side. I am glad to say I recently joined the BC team. I have been very impressed with the organized project approach BC takes to all projects both big and small. BC's internal project management tools make it easy to determine the hours budgeted for my portion of each project and eliminates unrealistic budgets and expectations. BC is rapidly growing as a company as well.

Cons

BC has a corporate feel to it but I don't know many Engineering firms of this size that don't. At least ones that are well run.

LOL, I don't give advice to management...

9. Great Company on the Move....

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I work with great co-workers everyday who are always there to help when needed and we share ideas to achieve the common goal. The company is very work life balance and the pay is excellent!

Cons

Nothing I can think of at this time.

Keep wining those projects!! I see big things for BC in 2015 and beyond!

10. One of the best companies I've worked for, great experience, friendly coworkers, and high level of standards.

Current Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Georgia in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A place where young professionals (we call them Rising Professionals) can learn technical or business management, take on more responsibility, develop client relations, or project management training. The staff is open/friendly from interns to VPs, lunch provided every pay-day, lots of lunch-and-learns, paid training, flexible hours, telecommuting, the list goes on... The company also maintains a good reputation with its clients, so you can stand behind the name.

Cons

If someone really wants to excel, this Brown and Caldwell rewards this type of drive. If you aren't driven, it's harder to excel (as with most places).

11. Very good company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Brown and Caldwell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

After only a few months, I could tell that BC values its employees with a good working environment, specific paths for advancement and most importantly, good people.

Cons

You may have to take some matters into your own hands instead of waiting on management to help out. Everyone has been willing to help when asked, but the follow-through doesn't always happen in a timely manner.

Overall, good job!