Brown and Caldwell

Brown and Caldwell CEO Craig A. Goehring

Craig A. Goehring

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company. Sad I had to leave it. I moved to a place where Brown and Caldwell was not located.

ConsI can't think of any. Good place to work. Good people to work with.

Non billable employees not treated as important

Prosgreat people, good benifits for the most part.

ConsUpper management wants few support employees to do the work of many.

Great place to work, a company with heart in a see of greedy stock driven firms

Environmental Engineer (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe company is all about clients and people. So many firms focus on stock growth, at the expense of employee development and clients. BC has it right, focus on clients and people, and you will get the numbers to work. Upper managment are accesible and listen. The company focuses on culture and a positive atmosphere, making it easy to collaborate and get work done. I have laerned so much in a short time. The tools and systems BC uses are far better than companies 10 times it size.

ConsCompany has a strong future, fast paced environment with all the work being won, if you like slow pace, monotonous work, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on clients and people. Keep asking employees for input on how to improve upon an already strong culture. Great job in creating a company of choice.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The BC Experience is Real

Principal Scientist (Current Employee)
    Upper Saddle River, NJ

ProsI have worked at Brown and Caldwell for six years now. I am disappointed to read some of the negative reviews posted on this Site. You can’t please everyone I guess. I am very proud to work here and do feel that leadership is working hard to continuously improve. I realize that some offices aren’t adapting, changing and growing as fast as others, but the firm really does have a great culture of employee engagement, flexibility and opportunity. – and is working hard to have the “BC Experience” consistent in every office. What is the BC Experience? It is a company culture of responsiveness, reliability and empathy – both externally and internally. The company has a flexible work environmental and fairly wide opportunity for advancement. Our CEO is the best in the business - hands down. Growing capabilities and services in the private sector/industrial market is very exciting for employees - and the company is not holding back on investment in many growing areas of the market.

ConsCompany needs to continue to focus on breaking down silos and eliminating local office politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the culture of flexibility, employee engagement, technical excellence and consistency to deliver the BC experience. When you think you have communicated enough....simply communicate more.

HQ

ProsGreat work/life balance; flexibility with scheduling; friendly co-workers; lots of opportunities to mingle with other departments and listen in on what they are working on. The company is very good at communicating the company vision and direction and giving shout outs to excellence.

ConsNeed more monetary recognition for the exemplary work performed at the lower levels (higher raise percentages).

Ok-stuck in the 80s

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBeing based in California and having purchased some companies with older smart people, the culture is ok

ConsCulture is ok but compensation is politically based--strange for a company that supposedly prides themselves on being innovators Read: TPS report authors and stapler hoarders can do very well in certain situations

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. It's great that you supposedly invented everything, but don't you have grandchildren to play with or something?

Disappointed

ProsNone that I could see

ConsAs the only geologist in an office of engineers, I felt very out of place, and the engineers didn't even try to understand what I had to offer. Mentors in the other office only came out to my office because it gave them a chance to party. No mentorship at all. Thought that BC was a good company - maybe years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all of your employees - not just the engineers. There are a lot of employees in the company who know their stuff, yet, it seems like BC only likes the engineers.

ENR should list this as worst place to work as an Environmental Engineer

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsSome smart people who actually didn't lose their soul still exist in Walnut Creek, a few in Irvine, a couple in San Diego.

ConsThe place has a strange culture and it all started going down hill when their latest partner of CEO joined in 2006. He was from URS, and for some strange reason, upper management thought it would be great idea and try to shift culture, try to make people feel lucky they had a job. Rather than really appreciate everyones talents and what they bring to the table, the culture is full of backstabbers trying to survive. It pained me to see young engineers working for me, making so much less than what they really deserved. The culture is more concerned with their competition really. The culture promotes the ones who suck up to area or office leaders. The culture is full of egotistical jerks. Makes sense if you have a slogan such as "Best Brains". Really? My experience is that is a huge stretch. And this is laughable considering, half the people who move ahead in this work place do not have any real skill that gets anything done, and have zero respect from their peers. If you want to join this company, you can certainly put in some time, learn, and like myself, you will come out feeling really good about where you stand in your career. The reason is because the guy or gal you worked with, and who played a vital role to support, to bring millions of dollars in revenue, to bring millions of dollars in project work, just threw you under the bus (to make him/her look good). You will feel good because these people (I now call them boat anchors) make 95 dollars an hour (charge clients nearly $300/hr) and don't know anything really other than to disrupt and create hurdles. Careful how you leave, because "best brains" will not own up to anything and will talk disparagingly to clients about you to save face .... because now you get to compete directly against your former employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really should start recognizing the people that actually roll up their sleeves and DO the work, instead of allowing time and time again, upper management, and management in PMO to crap on them.

I wish I hadn't worked for this company. It was the worst experience I've ever had.

Phoenix, AZ

ProsBrown and Caldwell has a good corporate culture which may work well for those in the corporate office.

ConsIn contrast to the corporate culture, individual offices, particularly the Desert Region, are not in alignment with the culture. They are a rogue group that in these uncertain economic times seems disjointed and lacking overall leadership. Brown and Caldwell really doesn’t value their employees. They make these huge announcements about new hires and then can them if they “don’t fit” which is reminiscent of the “good old boys” club. In the short time I was there they let go a number of good qualified staff members who didn’t have a fair chance to showcase their skills. The Desert Region does a horrible job at marketing the company and exhibiting their differentiators. The company’s marketing role has a horrible reputation amongst some of professional groups in the area, which explains why they haven’t had a marketing leader in over two years. There definitely is a disconnect about what corporate’s marketing priorities are versus what the local leadership wants or needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter align yourselves with the company culture and pay attention to your competitors. They know what they are doing.

Very disappointing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some heavy-hitters in the technical world that work there, and once in awhile, you may get to associate with them.

ConsI saw my share of favoritism, disputes between employees being handled poorly, etc. In one case, I was managing a project and had 2 people upline from me overseeing the project. Both of them wanted me to run things one way, but my department manager wanted me to do it another way. I was just left in the middle with those parties having no interest in discussing things and getting on the same page. I was sold on walking in the door with a heavy workload and having extensive opportunities for growth, but when I got there I found out I was going to be writing the proposals to get the workload and that two people in the department had just been canned. And in one case the office was pretending that a former employee still worked there and wanted to carry that lie as long as possible to win work from a particular client.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the people you see as budding stars in the firm don't get along with any co-workers besides you.

Worked for Brown and Caldwell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brown and Caldwell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brown and Caldwell CEO Craig A. Goehring. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Brown and Caldwell employees.