Brown & Riding

3.1

Jeff J. Rodriguez

Great place

I have been working at Brown & Riding

Pros

National General Insurance Company has excellent financial strength ratings and offers personal and commercial insurance products through independent agents across the United States.

Cons

"A+ Superior" rated insurance company and is the second largest personal lines insurer in the U.S. Allstate offers competitive motorcycle insurance policy rates.

Don't ask questions

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Brown & Riding full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is plenty to learn at this company as they are in a fast paced business. They hire college students who may or may not last depending on their grit.

Cons

If you ask too many questions, you get black listed. Have a do don't ask attitude and you may succeed. Peers are conditioned to have a superiority complex perhaps because of the path to advancement. The company claims to be about team work but everyone is in for themselves ONLY! so beware!
    Pay is not competitive but people need jobs and they know it.

To go where you want to go start asking teams why they have such high turnover rates. You are more likely to succeed if everyone matters.

Beware!

I worked at Brown & Riding full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff are great. Benefits and pay are good.

Cons

This company does not live its' values. Senior management is manipulative and non collaborative. Business model is to hire young workers and "encourage" older workers to leave. Great if you're under 30 bright and good looking. Used to be bright and hard working was good enough. While I embrace the work hard play hard philosophy, management's encouragement and expectation of excessive drinking is unprofessional. HR's complicity is disappointing. CEO's alliance with junior level players in key positions will make it hard for the company to grow and nurture a positive, rewarding environment.

Find a CEO who genuinely embraces your values. Who operates transparently, doesn't put his/her own agenda before the corporation's, is collaborative, doesn't protect staff who agree with him and threaten those that don't. The founder is a great guy but he has abdicated all decision making and seems blind to the CEO's behavior. This could be a great organization if it had strong, professional, candid leadership.

Best Company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Brown & Riding full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a company that really lives by their values - Teamwork, Quality, & Professionalism! If you work hard to prove yourself & help others, you can and will succeed here. Although you must work very hard to succeed, it is also a fun place to work! B&R seems to care about its employees, not JUST the bottom line.

I've currently been here for over 7 years and seen a lot of changes & growth (which sometimes can be a negative thing), but through it all the company has really done a good job of continually improving and making this a better place to work.

B&R seems to strive to help their employees grow and develop. They don't drop it in your lap, but if you show initiative, they help you to succeed. They provide great benefits coverage at an affordable cost. You can feel comfortable talking to anyone in the company, even disagreeing with them, including the CEO.

Cons

Largely due to the size of the company (relatively small), there is room for improvement in terms of communication & training, but I've seen some improvement in that area in the past year or so. I believe that the company can compensate the support employees a bit more to stay more competitive with the market for other wholesalers.

Associate Broker

Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Brown & Riding full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work hours are not bad, great work hard/play hard attitude, offices nationally.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, upper management is somewhat racist (this made me very uncomfortable at times), its is very hard to progress unless your family can offer business, etc, the company is cheap when it comes to expenses and parties, it is very hard as a woman to progress, and upper management acts extremely unprofessional.

Focus on a more strctured development of your employees, advise your managers to keep private manners private, urge employees to gain certifications,

Worse Decision Ever! management operates like a dictatorship

I have been working at Brown & Riding

Pros

occasional fun office events
    abundant office supplies
    some co-workers are friendly
    IT is very responsive

Cons

Much like a dictatorship, arrogant management will abuse power to their full extent in order to oppress and weaken their subordinates and will always get away with it. always.
    Poor Benefits if any. For Health/Dental, you must pay a large portion out of your own paycheck.
    Poor training yet high expectations & very critical of performance.
    Understaffed/Overworked most of the time.

My best decision.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Brown & Riding full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started my insurance career working for a fortune 100 insurance carrier. Although it was a great place to start my career, during my stint I realized that my aspirations exceeded what the very structured corporate environment would allow.

After a relatively brief time I decided to move to California and start working for a very small surplus lines broker consisting of only a few employees. Although the small company gave me a chance to become familiar with the E&S side of the business, it didn’t take me long to realize the company was lacking the tools and resources I needed to grow in my new role. As such, I began reaching out to my contacts in the industry to see where I should make my next move.

When I began my search for a different wholesale broker to work for I expected most would recommend one of the top three largest national wholesale brokers. Much to my surprise, however, I found that Brown and Riding was the most consistent recommendation from my retail and carrier contacts. I reached out to the company and after a few interviews wound up being offered a position which I subsequently accepted.

Since joining Brown and Riding I can honestly say that it was the best decision I could have made. At the 100-150 employee range it is large enough so you can get the benefits of an established, successful, and well-known organization while at the same time it is small enough to where you have real opportunity (if you want it) to help direct the company’s future.

The people here are incredible all the way from reception to the Chairman of the Board. I have always felt that all levels of management (direct supervisor, department head, CEO, etc.) have been genuinely concerned about my success and growth, not just in the company, but in my career in general. I have always felt free to give my input to anyone at anytime. It’s a rare thing indeed to be able to walk in to anybody’s office at any time and express your concerns, suggestions, etc. and have your comments met with genuine concern.

Prior to joining Brown and Riding my longest stay at a company was 1 ½ years. I’ve been with Brown and Riding for multiple years now and see myself staying here for many years to come.

Pros:

1) Flat organizational structure
    2) Incredibly talented people
    3) An organizational commitment to superior service
    4) Responsive HR
    5) Management that genuinely cares about your success
    6) Education is encouraged/supported
    7) Paperless
    8) Growing company, even in this tough economy

Cons

1) Not the largest wholesaler out there (can be a good and bad thing)

2) Company is run as a “tight ship” which forces you to stay sharp, but it also leads to opportunities for those who are driven. Work hard, play hard comes to mind.

3) "On-the-job training" is the norm. Although you obtain basic training on systems and procedures when you first start, there is no formal (i.e. classroom) insurance training program that exists. Most of what you'll learn will come from performing on the job tasks and asking questions. There are always plenty of incredibly knowledgeable resources so as long as your are self-motivated you should be fine. Outside education is also encouraged. If your looking for formal class room training you are likely only to find that with large corporations (Ace, Hartford, etc.).

I really like working here.

I have been working at Brown & Riding

Pros

management cares about your progress and training, they also don't micro manage, they let you do your job

Cons

commute is long; focus on need for degree to get hired

i am happy with leadership for the most part. they definitely show they care about each person regardless of whether they work with them

Run From Brown & Riding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Brown & Riding

Pros

It's a job with benefits. Receive your pay and insurance while looking for an honest company that treats their employees fairly.

Cons

Management out for themselves although they promote that they strongly invest in their employees. HR department unresponsive. Every detail of work performance monitored and scrutinized by management. Very little administrative support.