Brown & Toland Reviews

1. Innovative place for nurses. Positive changes

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management invested in making culture change for the better Low day to day stress company looking into telecommuting opportunities to move across depts or up ladder Team atmosphere- interdisciplinary Innovations are looked at- this is not a stale environment Process improvement happening quickly 9-5 job m/f - what other nursing jobs offer this focus of work is quality driven vs. quantity

Cons

HR disorganized - lacking strong leadership some employees are burned out from working in the field for 20 years and have negative attitudes towards change of any kind, pay is not competitive with hospital but decent for an office job A lot of work with not much staff but this is not hospital stress

Advice to Management

hire an HR director

All change has not been positive

Current Employee - Care Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Support LGBT. HR seems to be happy go lucky. Have a fun work environment with lots of events like earth day, b-day celebration, Giants opening day and more. Brown and Toland will always make money and be profitable. Past leadership has been stellar.

Cons

Since this is a medical group that serves doctors above all doctors come first always even before patients! The board of directors (all doctors) decides on raises for employees so this means they vote for high bonuses for themselves and low for the staff that work so hard to support them. Location, location, location…unless you work in the financial district making okay wages where even if you are an RN can not afford a studio condos cost $600,000. Another reason the office location is ridiculous is because it makes parking difficult and costly. All clinical department turn over is high including management turn over which is horribly high. Management is all cookie cutter looking and all ethnically white. New management is blaming, tending to fire guns before asking questions or preforming critical thinking exercises that could actually solve system problems and create efficient workflows. Low wage increase and lower bonuses. Stupid give aways. Giving away iPads to doctors to take surveys is bribery aimed at a group that doesn't need it…well at least some dedicated office MAs and secretaries got a few iPads for filling out the surveys. If you question inefficiencies and even offer good solutions you could be targeted as a treat so sometimes smart staff just choose to not make waves.

Advice to Management

Hire management with experience. Middle management could benefit in listening more and give up the witch hunt attitude. Sloppy investigations with no metrics nor facts make them look like incompetent lackluster leaders and clowns. Giving away iPads to doctors to take surveys is bribery aimed at a group that doesn't need it…well at least some dedicated office MAs and secretaries got a few iPads for filling out the MD's surveys.

" CEO and Upper Management needs to GROW UP!"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager

Pros

Nice Location, Learned my experience here. A lot of nice people working here.

Cons

This used to be a fine place to work especially when GAustine was still the CEO in this Company. The CEO and the Upper level made a bad decision for this Company. There were good and Talented Employees used to work here. CEO made a Business decision to let them go. but Company is getting worst.

Advice to Management

Think harder before making changes. it was not the employees fault. you should change the upper management.

Employees need to GROW UP!

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a fine place to work. We are valued for our talent, management goes out of its way to try to improve the environment as quickly as possible. We have had employee surveys for a few years and the CEO takes this seriously. Task forces, steering committees, changes made without hesitation. Salaries are very fair. The average salaries in many areas are in the 80s and 90k's. Individuals that achieve are promoted. Interns are often hired into full time jobs after working hard on projects. Location is great. Big deal if they don't pay for parking - show me another SF employer that pays for parking! Very generous PTO policy. 3 weeks plus 8 or 9 holidays.

Cons

Recent negative reviews are clearly uninformed, inexperienced, and short term employees. Bringing up a change in IT structure that happened over 5 years ago is a joke. And, the reviewer wasn't even there so I'm surprised Glassdoor allowed that review to be posted. That is NOT how it took place. The employees were not fired, we outsourced our IT. It was a BUSINESS decision. But some lower level employees who just want to rant about lack of free parking wouldn't understand that. About the HIPAA violations, another false accusation. We're a healthcare company. We don't take this stuff lightly! There is undoubtably a huge problem in the care management dept.THey are understaffed and the leadership did break down but now they are working on it and the rubbish and negative leaders got terminated. My advise to job searchers is be careful reading these reviews. You can clearly see how is just disgruntled and who is genuine. Someone complaining about smoke? Really, that's what you want to judge a company on? And, if you're lookign for a job in care management, ask a lot of questions in interview. Other areas are stable and have strong leaders.

Advice to Management

Keep improving communication downward and maintain the warmth of the family feel of this company's culture. We appreciate your work and being a leader in this industry. We don't keep making money year over year for nothin!

6. great

Pros

full time employee and free coffee

Cons

need more events and more outdated databases. No one uses outlook anymore. They need to update to a better system

Advice to Management

dont use outlook

Horrendous

Pros

Most of the underlings are very nice people.

Cons

Some of the departments have serious bullying issues between employees, which has been brought to the attention of management; yet nothing has been done. There are some very caddie people, many of which are in management and at the executive level. There are many people who will step on another and seriously bully or threaten other employees. I heard that when they did a downsizing in the IT department, they put the employees on a bus, and after they were on a bus, they were then notified that they had been terminated. What kind of company does that to its employees? That is not the way to treat any employee- ever.

Advice to Management

Stop being so egocentric. The organizational culture is horrendous. All I hear is how great this company used to be 5+ years ago. However, I have seen little effort to restore it. The turnover rate is the most I have ever seen at any company.

Brown & Toland Response

May 1, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. At Brown & Toland, we believe corporate culture is an important part of our company’s overall success. To that end, we conduct surveys annually to gauge employee ... More

Good to Terrible

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time

Pros

There are nice people who work in the non-management staff, and they try to help one another, but it's like the blind leading the blind.

Cons

Executive Staff/Management is severely self-absorbed. They do not work to help to develop or train employees. It's a sink or swim situation at Brown & Toland. There are many unreported HIPPA violations of patient information covered up by VP level individuals, and there are sharks everywhere, there. You may think you're doing well and safe, but that you're safe in your job. However, if you get sick or have surgery and your manager feels the weight of your absence, she will find ways to falsely document about your performance and get rid of you- which is odd for a Health Care Organization. If you have a problem or struggle with your manager, and you think it's worth taking to HR; don't even dream of doing it without the understand that HR will back your supervisor and you will live in fear of reprisal until ultimately, your supervisor will find a way to get rid of you. I saw this a few times during my time there and it was shocking.

Advice to Management

Replace your dishonest upper management team members, with forthcoming people who will accept responsibility for their own mistakes. Dig into reports about their behaviors when someone goes to HR with an issue. They are the captain of their ships. If a ship runs aground, the captain is responsible, not his sailors. Tell management that when employees have questions, not to respond with "No" or "I am too busy for this stuff, just figure it out."

42% turnover in outpatient case management department

Current Employee - Case Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Across from the ballpark if you like baseball, across from muni street cars for easy commute from east bay. I believe coworkers work very hard and try to provide good services to our physicians and members.

Cons

The management does not appreciate or value their staff. About 10 out of the 12 people in my department who left in the past 6 months did so because they felt this way and has already tried to explain this to management or HR -but to no avail. They tend to look at you when you bring up constructive feedback as if they are shocked or really hurt. I am in the outpatient case management dept - under medical services. I have heard from other departments that there discontent too, but I can't verify. Maybe things will get better in a few years, but right now I would not recommend this company to anyone who wants a grow. There are currently no money for CEU, and little room for advancement. They promise things will get better or you will get a raise or promotion...but I have seen them string 4 people along. It is a fine place if you just need a job. BTW, get everything in writing or it won't be honored.

Advice to Management

Communicate and share information. That is empowering and engaging for staff. Truly appreciate and listen to staff. Invite outside consultant to train managers and all chains of command--up to the CEO. Have HR stop pretending that they are offering the top rate and over promise ("We will take care of you") when they are making offers.

Production Over Rules Health and Safety

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Brown & Toland (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are nice and friendly and we're a tight knit group.

Cons

A cousin told me about Glassdoor the other day after I told him about what happened to me at work last week. He said this was a good avenue to share my thoughts so I'm here to tell my story. It isn't really a story, it's more a feeling of frustration. There was an incident last week where we, the employees started to smell fumes coming out of the vents. It started to irritate my breathing after 30 minutes of inhaling the smell. Facilities walked around with the building staff but didn't ask questions as to what we were experiencing. Some people complained to the person who worked In facilities but she was very dismissive. In other companies that I worked for, when this happened, it would be a no brainer to evacuate once we start smelling fumes but at Brown & Toland, it seems that they want us to keep working and be productive rather than watch out for our health. An employee engagement commitee was started by the CEO and there has been a push to improve communication but in this instance where we, the employees are inhaling what could be poisonous fumes, there were no communication at all about it. They want us to fill out these crazy questionnaires to help improve company wide communication but if the company cannot show concern when it truly counts, us worker bees will stay unhappy. Something needs to completely change and it starts with leadership attitude and sincerity.

Advice to Management

Please take us seriously and be sincere that you're truly concerned about us

RN Case Manager, Health Coach

Former Employee - RN Case Manager/Health Coach in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager/Health Coach in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, nice area of the city, easy to get to from public transportation. Competitive wages.

Cons

No training at all, even though they claim they will train you. I asked during the interview process. Very very little assistance from management when you go to them with concerns, actually I saw it work against people to the point of job termination. To change a job or promotion you have to be in good with the higher ups. Managers poorly trained to actually manage. You are not going to be doing what they say they are hiring you for - I saw this over and over. Extremely high employee turnover. Worst work experience of my life!

RSS Feed </> Embed