Brown & Toland

Updated January 24, 2015
2.1

Brown & Toland CEO Richard Fish
Richard Fish

This is a great place to work.

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time

Pros

Everyone is so friendly and supportive.

Cons

There is limited time off.

Communication can always be improved.

Horrendous

I have been working at Brown & Toland

Pros

Most of the underlings are very nice people.

Cons

Some of the departments have serious bullying issues between employees, which has been brought to the attention of management; yet nothing has been done. There are some very caddie people, many of which are in management and at the executive level. There are many people who will step on another and seriously bully or threaten other employees. I heard that when they did a downsizing in the IT department, they put the employees on a bus, and after they were on a bus, they were then notified that they had been terminated. What kind of company does that to its employees? That is not the way to treat any employee- ever.

Stop being so egocentric. The organizational culture is horrendous. All I hear is how great this company used to be 5+ years ago. However, I have seen little effort to restore it. The turnover rate is the most I have ever seen at any company.

Good to Terrible

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time

Pros

There are nice people who work in the non-management staff, and they try to help one another, but it's like the blind leading the blind.

Cons

Executive Staff/Management is severely self-absorbed. They do not work to help to develop or train employees. It's a sink or swim situation at Brown & Toland. There are many unreported HIPPA violations of patient information covered up by VP level individuals, and there are sharks everywhere, there. You may think you're doing well and safe, but that you're safe in your job. However, if you get sick or have surgery and your manager feels the weight of your absence, she will find ways to falsely document about your performance and get rid of you- which is odd for a Health Care Organization. If you have a problem or struggle with your manager, and you think it's worth taking to HR; don't even dream of doing it without the understand that HR will back your supervisor and you will live in fear of reprisal until ultimately, your supervisor will find a way to get rid of you. I saw this a few times during my time there and it was shocking.

Replace your dishonest upper management team members, with forthcoming people who will accept responsibility for their own mistakes. Dig into reports about their behaviors when someone goes to HR with an issue. They are the captain of their ships. If a ship runs aground, the captain is responsible, not his sailors. Tell management that when employees have questions, not to respond with "No" or "I am too busy for this stuff, just figure it out."

42% turnover in outpatient case management department

Current Employee - Case Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Across from the ballpark if you like baseball, across from muni street cars for easy commute from east bay.
    I believe coworkers work very hard and try to provide good services to our physicians and members.

Cons

The management does not appreciate or value their staff. About 10 out of the 12 people in my department who left in the past 6 months did so because they felt this way and has already tried to explain this to management or HR -but to no avail. They tend to look at you when you bring up constructive feedback as if they are shocked or really hurt.

I am in the outpatient case management dept - under medical services. I have heard from other departments that there discontent too, but I can't verify. Maybe things will get better in a few years, but right now I would not recommend this company to anyone who wants a grow. There are currently no money for CEU, and little room for advancement. They promise things will get better or you will get a raise or promotion...but I have seen them string 4 people along.

It is a fine place if you just need a job. BTW, get everything in writing or it won't be honored.

Communicate and share information. That is empowering and engaging for staff. Truly appreciate and listen to staff. Invite outside consultant to train managers and all chains of command--up to the CEO. Have HR stop pretending that they are offering the top rate and over promise ("We will take care of you") when they are making offers.

Production Over Rules Health and Safety

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Brown & Toland (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are nice and friendly and we're a tight knit group.

Cons

A cousin told me about Glassdoor the other day after I told him about what happened to me at work last week. He said this was a good avenue to share my thoughts so I'm here to tell my story. It isn't really a story, it's more a feeling of frustration. There was an incident last week where we, the employees started to smell fumes coming out of the vents. It started to irritate my breathing after 30 minutes of inhaling the smell. Facilities walked around with the building staff but didn't ask questions as to what we were experiencing. Some people complained to the person who worked In facilities but she was very dismissive. In other companies that I worked for, when this happened, it would be a no brainer to evacuate once we start smelling fumes but at Brown & Toland, it seems that they want us to keep working and be productive rather than watch out for our health. An employee engagement commitee was started by the CEO and there has been a push to improve communication but in this instance where we, the employees are inhaling what could be poisonous fumes, there were no communication at all about it. They want us to fill out these crazy questionnaires to help improve company wide communication but if the company cannot show concern when it truly counts, us worker bees will stay unhappy. Something needs to completely change and it starts with leadership attitude and sincerity.

Please take us seriously and be sincere that you're truly concerned about us

RN Case Manager, Health Coach

Former Employee - RN Case Manager/Health Coach in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager/Health Coach in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, nice area of the city, easy to get to from public transportation. Competitive wages.

Cons

No training at all, even though they claim they will train you. I asked during the interview process.
    Very very little assistance from management when you go to them with concerns, actually I saw it work against people to the point of job termination.
    To change a job or promotion you have to be in good with the higher ups.
    Managers poorly trained to actually manage.
    You are not going to be doing what they say they are hiring you for - I saw this over and over.
    Extremely high employee turnover.
    Worst work experience of my life!

From good to not good.

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice area, ease of access to transit, personal growth is possible if you do it yourself, fair wages, some really nice people
    There were more in the early days but now.....:(

Cons

No assistance with parking
    Poor leadership with their own personal issues
    Terrible communication
    Very unclear reasons for advancement for some and making others lives miserable
    Office culture was very comfortable once but is now about watching your back and what you say to whom-
    you got a target on your head-hostile work environment if your boss doesn't like something about you
    High turnover for some departments
    Bonus structure is unstructured
    Benefit package is offered but other companies have a much better offering
    Unrealistic expectations from people who don't know what they are doing in the first place-the boss doesn't need to know everything but should trust the people under them to be giving them the right information but instead of not believing anything said to them from the get go. Always a losing proposition to both people

Office culture and how people look at their workday are important. There is a level of fear that has overtaken the family kind of company it used to be. Sharks everywhere. Does it really need to be that way? Yes, you must change to stay alive, but the overturn in employees is costing you a fortune. It could be so different. The values are there and there are plenty of people who share them so you have that going for you, but the exit of leadership is not a good sign.

Good Place to Be

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The management is not only keeping up with changes in medical care but are actually ahead of the curve. They are good to the employees and are very patient with those that don't quite get the fact that things have to change fast and move quickly if everyone's going to have a job in three years.
    PTO is good. Training is available but you may have to show some initiative and get it on line through the company sponsored sites.
    The importance of the physicians and members in the Brown & Toland equation is part of the culture.

Cons

The rapid changes in the medical industry. The decline in HMO membership (although management is on top of it). It may be time to start looking for a new, more spacious facility.

Keep up the good work. Fill the empty senior management positions that are open. Shut down early on the occasional holiday - it does wonders for morale.
    Sit the negative folks down (you know who they are)., answer all of their questions, explain the goals and reasons for your actions and let them know the damage they cause.

Excellent

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A real people person company

Cons

NONE: Except: There was no access to the roof on Fleet week

Use Brown and Toland as an example of excellent management

Good place to work

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture and work life balance

Cons

Not many opportunites in nursing other than case management