Brown & Toland

Updated November 18, 2014
2.4

Brown & Toland CEO Richard Fish
Richard Fish

This is a great place to work.

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time

Pros

Everyone is so friendly and supportive.

Cons

There is limited time off.

Communication can always be improved.

Production Over Rules Health and Safety

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Brown & Toland (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are nice and friendly and we're a tight knit group.

Cons

A cousin told me about Glassdoor the other day after I told him about what happened to me at work last week. He said this was a good avenue to share my thoughts so I'm here to tell my story. It isn't really a story, it's more a feeling of frustration. There was an incident last week where we, the employees started to smell fumes coming out of the vents. It started to irritate my breathing after 30 minutes of inhaling the smell. Facilities walked around with the building staff but didn't ask questions as to what we were experiencing. Some people complained to the person who worked In facilities but she was very dismissive. In other companies that I worked for, when this happened, it would be a no brainer to evacuate once we start smelling fumes but at Brown & Toland, it seems that they want us to keep working and be productive rather than watch out for our health. An employee engagement commitee was started by the CEO and there has been a push to improve communication but in this instance where we, the employees are inhaling what could be poisonous fumes, there were no communication at all about it. They want us to fill out these crazy questionnaires to help improve company wide communication but if the company cannot show concern when it truly counts, us worker bees will stay unhappy. Something needs to completely change and it starts with leadership attitude and sincerity.

Please take us seriously and be sincere that you're truly concerned about us

RN Case Manager, Health Coach

Former Employee - RN Case Manager/Health Coach in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager/Health Coach in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office, nice area of the city, easy to get to from public transportation. Competitive wages.

Cons

No training at all, even though they claim they will train you. I asked during the interview process.
    Very very little assistance from management when you go to them with concerns, actually I saw it work against people to the point of job termination.
    To change a job or promotion you have to be in good with the higher ups.
    Managers poorly trained to actually manage.
    You are not going to be doing what they say they are hiring you for - I saw this over and over.
    Extremely high employee turnover.
    Worst work experience of my life!

From good to not good.

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice area, ease of access to transit, personal growth is possible if you do it yourself, fair wages, some really nice people
    There were more in the early days but now.....:(

Cons

No assistance with parking
    Poor leadership with their own personal issues
    Terrible communication
    Very unclear reasons for advancement for some and making others lives miserable
    Office culture was very comfortable once but is now about watching your back and what you say to whom-
    you got a target on your head-hostile work environment if your boss doesn't like something about you
    High turnover for some departments
    Bonus structure is unstructured
    Benefit package is offered but other companies have a much better offering
    Unrealistic expectations from people who don't know what they are doing in the first place-the boss doesn't need to know everything but should trust the people under them to be giving them the right information but instead of not believing anything said to them from the get go. Always a losing proposition to both people

Office culture and how people look at their workday are important. There is a level of fear that has overtaken the family kind of company it used to be. Sharks everywhere. Does it really need to be that way? Yes, you must change to stay alive, but the overturn in employees is costing you a fortune. It could be so different. The values are there and there are plenty of people who share them so you have that going for you, but the exit of leadership is not a good sign.

Good Place to Be

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The management is not only keeping up with changes in medical care but are actually ahead of the curve. They are good to the employees and are very patient with those that don't quite get the fact that things have to change fast and move quickly if everyone's going to have a job in three years.
    PTO is good. Training is available but you may have to show some initiative and get it on line through the company sponsored sites.
    The importance of the physicians and members in the Brown & Toland equation is part of the culture.

Cons

The rapid changes in the medical industry. The decline in HMO membership (although management is on top of it). It may be time to start looking for a new, more spacious facility.

Keep up the good work. Fill the empty senior management positions that are open. Shut down early on the occasional holiday - it does wonders for morale.
    Sit the negative folks down (you know who they are)., answer all of their questions, explain the goals and reasons for your actions and let them know the damage they cause.

Excellent

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Brown & Toland full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A real people person company

Cons

NONE: Except: There was no access to the roof on Fleet week

Use Brown and Toland as an example of excellent management

Good place to work

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture and work life balance

Cons

Not many opportunites in nursing other than case management

Current Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with lots of talented & dedicated employees. B&T is growing & changing it's business strategies to improve and remain competitive as health care evolves.

Cons

There are some unhappy employees and they need to move on so that job opportunites are afforded to new dedicated employees who really want to make a difference and take pride in their work.

Continue to invest in new technology & innovate your workforce in order for us to work smarter and excel as a great team!

Forward thinking and dynamic company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location, Learning Opportunities, Cutting Edge Technology, Leadership, Team Memebers, Forfront of Healthcare, Starting Salary, Advancement

Brown and Toland is a great organization that is true to their company values. BTMG puts patients and physicians first while placing a high value on employee engagement and satisfaction.

Cons

Nominal raises anually, clear milestones, goals and pathway for promotion and advancement, gossiping employees

Opportunities for more frequent salary increase, promotion pathway

Oh, come on already....

I have been working at Brown & Toland full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat decent wages, but this is before you take into account transportation and parking costs (especially on game days!). Beware: The person sitting next to you with the exact same job title, who started months after you did... probably makes 15-20% more an hour than you do.

Cons

Executive leadership team who all seem to have a "Good 'ole Boy" mindset. Play their game and you are "in" until they no longer need what it is you can offer the organization. Your knowledge and professional contributions will propel only the executive leadership team to reach their own self-serving goals. Case in point: A Clinical Director with absolutely NO previous managed care experience. Ask to see her resume.

Advice to partnering Health plans....Do you NOT know what is happening (or not happening) with the delegated care coordination for your members and the contracted services B&T should be providing? Isn't it about time you did something about the potential misappropriation of the dollars you pay B&T for their stated services?