BrownGreer

Updated August 13, 2014

2.5

BrownGreer Co-Founder & Partner Orran L. Brown
Orran L. Brown

Decent holdover job until you can find something better

Former Employee - Claims Reviewer  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Claims Reviewer in New Orleans, LA

Pros

You get tons of time off (6 hours for every pay period) and they try to make you like working there with stuff like ice cream on summer fridays.

Cons

They monitor your every move. You have to log it in your computer every time you leave your seat to go to the bathroom. The work is SO boring. And the office is crowded. They cram as many people onto one floor as allowed by the fire code.

Treat your employees like adults. Let them use the bathroom without informing you. get more space!

Steady hours but no employee relations you're just a seat.

Former Employee - Claims Reviewer III  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Claims Reviewer III in Richmond, VA

Pros

6 hours of PTO every 2 weeks was nice.
    An okay job for those straight out of college
    Hours are steady

Cons

I started at BG in 2010 when the economy was rough. They package the job up really nicely and honestly, back then it was a very fun company to work for.
    Now that they have a lot of big named clients, the atmosphere has changed and they're trying to become more serious but lack professionalism and true management.
    Anyone can be a supervisor.
    They promote friends. I trained one guy on my project in January and in May he was an Analyst! It took majority of us who came in in 2010 years to move up to just a Claims Reviewer III or IV and in a few months he was an analyst. Come to find out he went to the same country club as the owners.
    Anyway, the spaces are cramped.
    If you ask questions for further understanding, not on the claims but as far as promotions, moving up, growing, or anything to benefit yourself within the company they take your cubicle away from you and stick you at a table in the hallway.
    If you get a table the underlying rule is you won't be there long. If you go from a cubicle to a table then you're on your way out the door.
    Do not tell them you work part time elsewhere, they take it as you don't need their job and let you go
    Everyone is capable of being laid off and they come at random times without explanation.
    Pay is low and they do not take advanced degrees into consideration.

Train the Trainers do not work. Spend the money and time to give great training and seminars for your analyst and supervisors. Just because someone can process claims well doesn't mean that they are capable of managing people.

Somewhat helpful stepping stone

Former Employee - Claims Reviewer V  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Claims Reviewer V in Richmond, VA

Pros

Benefits, PTO (increases as your time with the firm increases)

Cons

The lack of professional growth opportunities proved to be the incentive I needed to find full-time employment elsewhere. I was fortunate enough to get employment with BG through a staffing agency right after receiving my undergraduate degree. This job was helpful in providing me with good research-oriented full-time work while I figured out what I wanted to do. I ended up going to graduate school during my time with BrownGreer. BG provides great entry-level opportunities, but once you get to a certain point, the professional growth ceases. In a project-based environment, this can happen, but I encourage soft-skills training and the occasional refresher whenever possible. Despite my length of employment and excellent annual reviews, I was passed over for promotion for others that had spent less time with the company (I had even trained one of them when the employee started with BG). It was a disappointing moment, so I decided to leave.

Develop a training department that can provide continuous opportunities for growth, so employees will not find themselves hitting a plateau.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK

Pros

Company provided medical and 401k benefits, and the hours were steady.

Cons

The company offered no advancement/future and management was clueless.

Nice place to work, but pay is low if you have a family.

Current Employee - Claims Reviewer  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Reviewer in Richmond, VA

Pros

There are firm holidays, opportunities for ample time off (12 hours of PTO accrual per month), and many different projects you could be chosen to work on. Holiday bonus is nice, though (if your performance is up to par).

Cons

The general pay is not good. Also, if work gets low, then people may start to disappear. A lot of people were laid off.

Invest in your talent.

Glass door review

Pros

It was a job...that's about it for pros!

Cons

No promotions unless you were super young, or don't work because your smoking so many cigarettes during the day

Look around you and see. Your big people, your supervisors haha they don't do any work. It's all of the people under them that don't receive credit, bonuses, promotions...etc.!!

Overall experience was not good.

Former Employee - Claimant Assistant
    Former Employee - Claimant Assistant

Pros

Decent pay, training, available hours.

Cons

Management, lack of knowledge from HR, favoritism, and lack of leadership.

Know what's going on in all areas of your company.

Great Company, relaxed atmosphere

Pros

office culture, benefits, company values, training, activities, work from home

Cons

promotions, work like balance, communication, frequent changes

Good

Pros

I liked the work. Opportunity for advancement. Regularly scheduled performance reviews.

Cons

Project driven, so when work runs out or low, there may be lay offs

White Collar Sweat Shop

Pros

BrownGreer offered decent benefits and coworkers are polite.

Cons

Atmosphere was at times 'soul crushing'. Dead silence and softly stated threats from the powers that be reminds me of the other golden Rule: Those with the gold rule.

First line of management wasn't bad for the directives given to them but for upper management, company wide threats make leaders look weak and desperate. Employees want to respect upper management. BrownGreer makes this quite difficult.

Worked for BrownGreer? Contribute to the Community!