Bruegger's

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.9

Paul Carolan

Pros
  • customer interaction, no late nights (in 8 reviews)

• you never work late nights because they open at 6am and close at 7pm (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Early mornings and weekends required (in 10 reviews)

• hrs to manage with unrealistic labor expectations; high turnover rate doesn't surprise me (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Working here was a great overall experience.

Current Employee - Bagel Cutter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Bagel Cutter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bruegger's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

WE get free bagels, and sometimes we get free cream cheese too.

Cons

Sometimes it hurts when you accidentally cut yourself when trying to cut a bagel.

Focus more on teaching cutting technique

Great place to work in high school

Former Employee - Team Member in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Dublin, OH

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Everyone is very welcoming and supportive. Great management and understanding boss.

Cons

Early mornings but that is the only con

Great management

Great Job

Current Employee - Counter Associate in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Counter Associate in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Bruegger's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great food, nice customers and co-workers. I also like that they're pretty flexible with scheduling hours.

Cons

There aren't really any cons I can think of.

Great company!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time

Pros

Fun job that pays decently. You get to meet a lot of really great people that come in often so you can get to know them. Not like fast food!

Cons

Early morning hours may be hard for some people. There doesn't appear to be much room for advancement, you have to wait until someone quits or gets fired to compete for the job.

When employees express some interest in management positions, talk to them and see if they might be qualified or are worth developing.

Great Job

I have been working at Bruegger's

Pros

They treat people very good.

Cons

Early mornings and weekends required

General Manager at Brueggers

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Easy restaurant management job, no late nights, no waitstaff or kitchenstaff, great corporate training, 2 paid holidays for managers

Cons

EARLY mornings, no paid time off for one year, family insurance really expensive

Give 3 weeks paid vacation in this industry from the start

Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bruegger's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, great staff, day to day operation was very streamlined.

Cons

Low pay with very little advancement opportunity.

Standardize your design across all platforms all at once. Transitionary periods with different design on every sign and menu board might seem like a good way to ease people into it, but they just look tacky and bad.

shift supervisor

I have been working at Bruegger's

Pros

well some of the things I liked about it is that there was room to grow

Cons

I feel as if it need to be advertised more if possible let more people know about brueggers

The "Journey"

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Through multiple Company ownership changes and as many Corporate leadership changes we have continued moving forward. There have been numerous challenges - to many to many to mention - but with each challenge, comes an opportunity for growth. There have been many positives along the way, which has lead to opportunities for myself and many other individuals.

Cons

Change in many ways is good - again it leads to opportunities and keeping things exciting. But the change recently has been in a vacuum - a lack of leadership, which makes the company much like a sailboat with a sail - the company has no stated direction or perceived mission - making these very sad times. The latest acquisition by Le Duff America Inc. has been very trying times for Brueggers, they acquired us without the organizational support or leadership talent to support Brueggers, after 2 plus years it has only degraded from their, Le Duff America has turned over the strength of the Brueggers leadership, in favor of their handpick people - but have failed to find individuals who can lead the company, Brueggers is much like a sailboat without a sail, on a breathless ocean.

In the position I am in, i am fortunate to interact with people on all levels and many parts of the country. My advice initially, would be to fix the broken support functions. As leadership knows - the accounting functions and payroll functions have been dysfunctional since the transition to Le - Duff America management. There needs to be a sign that things are or will be improving, or being addressed, and without someone in leadership addressing the issues, the entire team and Company is left adrift without a clear direction and mission. People are working hard - but hard work without a stated direction "mission" if you will, is an exercise in futility. The issues need to be addressed from the top - beginning with LDA management and leadership - accountability begins at the top.

The Virginia Tech campus Bruegger's has been a great work experience, with fun people, lots of customers, and good food.

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Management is full of good people, enjoyable to work with. Sometimes, when it's not too busy, the food line works smoothly, and food prep could easily keep up and resupply the line well. Always kept the restaurant area very clean and tidy. Fully cleaned out every day.

Cons

Organization would break down due to the extremely busy rush hours, where very long lines would form out front. Some of the tasks being assigned were tedious, especially due to the poor layout of certain parts of the restaurant.

Just try to reorganize the layout a bit. It's been slowly improving throughout my time there, but just make sure not to stagnate. Sure enough, the layout is being mended.