Bruegger's

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

Bruegger's CEO James J. Greco
James J. Greco

Pros
  • customer interaction, no late nights (in 8 reviews)

• you never work late nights because they open at 6am and close at 7pm (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Early mornings and weekends required (in 10 reviews)

• hrs to manage with unrealistic labor expectations; high turnover rate doesn't surprise me (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Team Member

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Bruegger's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

None. Work + life balance = nothing.

Cons

No training, management is awful, no people skills, most customers complain about the service.

Find a better training program.

shift supervisor

I have been working at Bruegger's

Pros

well some of the things I liked about it is that there was room to grow

Cons

I feel as if it need to be advertised more if possible let more people know about brueggers

Unprofessional

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Discount on products, bagels, coffe

Cons

Was never properly trained or paid for first couple of shifts

Great place to work in high school

Former Employee - Team Member in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Dublin, OH

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Everyone is very welcoming and supportive. Great management and understanding boss.

Cons

Early mornings but that is the only con

Great management

The "Journey"

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Through multiple Company ownership changes and as many Corporate leadership changes we have continued moving forward. There have been numerous challenges - to many to many to mention - but with each challenge, comes an opportunity for growth. There have been many positives along the way, which has lead to opportunities for myself and many other individuals.

Cons

Change in many ways is good - again it leads to opportunities and keeping things exciting. But the change recently has been in a vacuum - a lack of leadership, which makes the company much like a sailboat with a sail - the company has no stated direction or perceived mission - making these very sad times. The latest acquisition by Le Duff America Inc. has been very trying times for Brueggers, they acquired us without the organizational support or leadership talent to support Brueggers, after 2 plus years it has only degraded from their, Le Duff America has turned over the strength of the Brueggers leadership, in favor of their handpick people - but have failed to find individuals who can lead the company, Brueggers is much like a sailboat without a sail, on a breathless ocean.

In the position I am in, i am fortunate to interact with people on all levels and many parts of the country. My advice initially, would be to fix the broken support functions. As leadership knows - the accounting functions and payroll functions have been dysfunctional since the transition to Le - Duff America management. There needs to be a sign that things are or will be improving, or being addressed, and without someone in leadership addressing the issues, the entire team and Company is left adrift without a clear direction and mission. People are working hard - but hard work without a stated direction "mission" if you will, is an exercise in futility. The issues need to be addressed from the top - beginning with LDA management and leadership - accountability begins at the top.

The Virginia Tech campus Bruegger's has been a great work experience, with fun people, lots of customers, and good food.

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Management is full of good people, enjoyable to work with. Sometimes, when it's not too busy, the food line works smoothly, and food prep could easily keep up and resupply the line well. Always kept the restaurant area very clean and tidy. Fully cleaned out every day.

Cons

Organization would break down due to the extremely busy rush hours, where very long lines would form out front. Some of the tasks being assigned were tedious, especially due to the poor layout of certain parts of the restaurant.

Just try to reorganize the layout a bit. It's been slowly improving throughout my time there, but just make sure not to stagnate. Sure enough, the layout is being mended.

Would not recommend.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

None. I found no pros after being there for 2 5 years.

Cons

No flexibility. Terrible management in corporate and on bakeries side. Awful pay for so many hours. No overtime.

The worst company I have worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

The guests and team members you come in contact with every day. No other pros to mention.

Cons

Communication is poor and often is not truthful from the area manager on up. Bakery managers are not given the tools to do their jobs effectively. There are not enough labor hours given to build guest service, build sales or keep the bakery clean. You are expected to take minimum wage, people working their first job and give superior service immediately even though you have no hours to actually train them. Managers spend more time in positions than actually managing which cuts down on their effectiveness.

Decide if you want to build a successful company for the long term or if you are just trying to make it look good so you can sell it. The slash and burn approach of simply cutting costs does not work and is a poor way of doing business. At the bakery level there have been many sacrifices. What are the people in the upper management positions sacrificing to help the situation?

Great Job

Current Employee - Counter Associate in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Counter Associate in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Bruegger's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great food, nice customers and co-workers. I also like that they're pretty flexible with scheduling hours.

Cons

There aren't really any cons I can think of.

Great quality of life expect hell on the job

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hours, and always expect to be home with your family for dinner or even lunch

Cons

They will work you to the bare of your teeth

Should be willing to spend a little more money and no not for a raise but to have an extra person throughout certain parts of the day to help ease tension and for the guest satisfaction you claim to want.

Bruegger's Photos