Bruegger's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Paul Carolan

Pros
  • customer interaction, no late nights (in 8 reviews)

• you never work late nights because they open at 6am and close at 7pm (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Early mornings and weekends required (in 10 reviews)

• High turnover, always working with new, untrained, employees (in 6 reviews)

1. Good place to work

Former Employee - Bakery Team Member
    Former Employee - Bakery Team Member

I worked at Bruegger's (More than a year)

Pros

Good morale booster Flexible hours Good team Opportunities for upward mobility

Cons

No air conditioner Could have better machinery for dishes

2. Nice Coworkers, Little Pay

Former Employee - Counter Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Counter Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bruegger's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good job if you don't mind not making a lot of money. Great for students or those who have several jobs because they are pretty flexible. Adequate training, easy to learn how to do your job. The environment is fast paced but pretty easy going. The employees and managers were just so friendly and great to me. A pretty good discount and delicious bagels, sandwiches, and burgers. They generously offered me to work towards a shift position in six months

Cons

Cheap pay. Generally the same complaints any fast food place would get but it's not bad if you're used to the food industry.

Advice to Management

No matter what high turnover will occur due to pay. Keep appreciating and being kind to workers to keep them around for a little bit longer.

Mediocre..

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bruegger's (Less than a year)

Pros

As a Shift Supervisor you were eligible for a free meal every shift. Co-Workers made the job bearable, and once you got the right management the job was not too bad.

Cons

Seeds, seeds everywhere. The cleaning process took forever and drove me crazy. Corporate locations were often behind, and rarely did anything with suggestions for improvement.

Advice to Management

Participate in everything, otherwise you cannot identify with any issues your employees may have. Listen and act, don't just listen with encouraging words and then proceed to ignore suggestions that could vastly improve cleanliness.

5. I guess it's okay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairview Park, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairview Park, OH

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people I work with are okay

Cons

Aside from being food service there is definite favoritism in the bakery

6. Good place

Current Employee - Baker/Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Baker/Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Bruegger's (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment and hours

Cons

Constant shift of employees throughout my time there

7. Good Concept

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Bruegger's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work Decent benefit package Good guest following Guest focused operations Refreshing new executive leadership Willingness to grow

Cons

Bruegger’s has a great story of how their bagels are made. Unfortunately, no one knows because the company does not share it.

Advice to Management

The Bruegger's story should be part of their everyday operations. Remodel each location in each existing market. Doing both with strengthened the brand.

8. Part Time Worker

Former Employee - Counter Associate
    Former Employee - Counter Associate

I worked at Bruegger's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on food and free coffee. Also,the closing hour wasn't too bad. Didn't have to close too late, which was good for me because I am a student in college.

Cons

Never got the amount of hours I wanted. Boss would always say she was going to promote me but never did. I would always be asked to come in on my days off and only be given maybe an hour of notice. Watching the videos every time we got a new menu item.

Advice to Management

Don't talk to other workers about others who work there. Don't make one person close all the time. Don't hire too many employees when other good employees want more hours.

9. I rue the day I ever applied

Current Employee - North Carolina in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - North Carolina in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The regular guests are awesome, and the team members I work with have been spectacular. When we have the staffing we need, everything runs awesomely.

Cons

The in-store management seems unconcerned that nobody gets the proper training, including the assistant managers. In the past 2 years I have been with the company, we have gone through 3 district managers and 3 Presidents. All of them have different expectations, which makes it difficult to know what we are supposed to do. All of the bakeries in my area seem to be short-staffed, with management not willing to hire anyone else to fill the gaps.

Advice to Management

Please, hire more people. Stop pushing catering until the stores are running well. Please stop talking about your assistant managers behind their backs.

10. Cleveland Manager

Former Employee - Former Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Bruegger's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there is free food and early hours. There are no late nights. They have good benefits, but they are expensive.

Cons

There is extremely high manager turnover. The mayfield store has seen 10 general managers is just 2 years. Even district managers have come and gone. Good managers has been fired and poor managers remain in their position. Promotions have been denied where deserved. The upper management is very poor and disconnected. Human resources is corrupt. The pay sucks and raises and bonuses are a joke.

Advice to Management

Get new upper management. Get more connected with the management team and help them.

11. General Manager

I worked at Bruegger's full-time

Pros

Weekly pay; free food; 2 days off in a row with 1 being a Saturday or Sunday; Off work by 3pm, if no one called out; Company shirts provided.

Cons

Upper management reality disconnect; Low pay for 50 hour plus job and never received a review with raise in 3 years despite becoming a training restaurant; financial incentive for bonuses (actually lowered the bonus amounts during my tenure); Vacation pay for Assistant Managers was not their regular pay (50 hours of 1st 40 hours rate, no time&half for last 10 hours); Decline vacation requests on regular basis; District Manager would take away vacation hours if labor was too high without communication; District Manager had to order special order items like espresso beans and we would be out for 3 weeks looking dumb to guests. Little power to fire someone when it was inconvenient for staffing; No district manager support on weekends which was 50% of revenue; Mechanical issues all the time.

Advice to Management

Help us help you! Maybe reward team members to achieve sustainability. Invest in people, we are the business on both sides of the counter. Why did you do away with training department...Dirk was the best representative I had ever seen in the business. Provide financial incentive to help everyone not become stagnate and treat their job as a "stepping stone".

RSS Feed </> Embed