Bruegger's

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
2.9

Paul Carolan

Pros
  • customer interaction, no late nights (in 8 reviews)

• you never work late nights because they open at 6am and close at 7pm (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Early mornings and weekends required (in 10 reviews)

• hrs to manage with unrealistic labor expectations; high turnover rate doesn't surprise me (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company for part time work for a college student. Most customers are nice and management is willing help.

I have been working at Bruegger's

Pros

Manager is nice, co-workers are nice too.

Cons

Schedule sometimes was difficult to work around.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Moved up fairly quickly from cashier. Great for growing internally.

Cons

Unrealistic labor expectations. Lower wage than the average for many positions. Constant change of protocol and standards make it difficult to manage a successful team.

Communicate better with bakeries. Don't tell someone to "run it like you own it" and punish them for doing just that.

Run away from this place!!!!!

Former Employee - Team Member in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Bruegger's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discounts was the only good thing about working there.

Cons

unqualified GM'S, unreliable team members, hours stink, restaurant is always dirty never enough to clean it right, turnover rate is high.

Take more time on training, leave more hours for closing so the people who close can clean the place.

Working here was a great overall experience.

Current Employee - Bagel Cutter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Bagel Cutter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bruegger's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

WE get free bagels, and sometimes we get free cream cheese too.

Cons

Sometimes it hurts when you accidentally cut yourself when trying to cut a bagel.

Focus more on teaching cutting technique

Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bruegger's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment, great staff, day to day operation was very streamlined.

Cons

Low pay with very little advancement opportunity.

Standardize your design across all platforms all at once. Transitionary periods with different design on every sign and menu board might seem like a good way to ease people into it, but they just look tacky and bad.

shift supervisor

I have been working at Bruegger's

Pros

well some of the things I liked about it is that there was room to grow

Cons

I feel as if it need to be advertised more if possible let more people know about brueggers

Unprofessional

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Discount on products, bagels, coffe

Cons

Was never properly trained or paid for first couple of shifts

Great place to work in high school

Former Employee - Team Member in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Dublin, OH

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Everyone is very welcoming and supportive. Great management and understanding boss.

Cons

Early mornings but that is the only con

Great management

The "Journey"

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Through multiple Company ownership changes and as many Corporate leadership changes we have continued moving forward. There have been numerous challenges - to many to many to mention - but with each challenge, comes an opportunity for growth. There have been many positives along the way, which has lead to opportunities for myself and many other individuals.

Cons

Change in many ways is good - again it leads to opportunities and keeping things exciting. But the change recently has been in a vacuum - a lack of leadership, which makes the company much like a sailboat with a sail - the company has no stated direction or perceived mission - making these very sad times. The latest acquisition by Le Duff America Inc. has been very trying times for Brueggers, they acquired us without the organizational support or leadership talent to support Brueggers, after 2 plus years it has only degraded from their, Le Duff America has turned over the strength of the Brueggers leadership, in favor of their handpick people - but have failed to find individuals who can lead the company, Brueggers is much like a sailboat without a sail, on a breathless ocean.

In the position I am in, i am fortunate to interact with people on all levels and many parts of the country. My advice initially, would be to fix the broken support functions. As leadership knows - the accounting functions and payroll functions have been dysfunctional since the transition to Le - Duff America management. There needs to be a sign that things are or will be improving, or being addressed, and without someone in leadership addressing the issues, the entire team and Company is left adrift without a clear direction and mission. People are working hard - but hard work without a stated direction "mission" if you will, is an exercise in futility. The issues need to be addressed from the top - beginning with LDA management and leadership - accountability begins at the top.

The Virginia Tech campus Bruegger's has been a great work experience, with fun people, lots of customers, and good food.

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

Management is full of good people, enjoyable to work with. Sometimes, when it's not too busy, the food line works smoothly, and food prep could easily keep up and resupply the line well. Always kept the restaurant area very clean and tidy. Fully cleaned out every day.

Cons

Organization would break down due to the extremely busy rush hours, where very long lines would form out front. Some of the tasks being assigned were tedious, especially due to the poor layout of certain parts of the restaurant.

Just try to reorganize the layout a bit. It's been slowly improving throughout my time there, but just make sure not to stagnate. Sure enough, the layout is being mended.