Bruegger's

Updated December 7, 2014
2.6

Bruegger's CEO James J. Greco
James J. Greco

Pros
  • customer interaction, no late nights (in 8 reviews)

• you never work late nights because they open at 6am and close at 7pm (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Early mornings and weekends required (in 10 reviews)

• hrs to manage with unrealistic labor expectations; high turnover rate doesn't surprise me (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Would not recommend.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

None. I found no pros after being there for 2 5 years.

Cons

No flexibility. Terrible management in corporate and on bakeries side. Awful pay for so many hours. No overtime.

The worst company I have worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Bruegger's

Pros

The guests and team members you come in contact with every day. No other pros to mention.

Cons

Communication is poor and often is not truthful from the area manager on up. Bakery managers are not given the tools to do their jobs effectively. There are not enough labor hours given to build guest service, build sales or keep the bakery clean. You are expected to take minimum wage, people working their first job and give superior service immediately even though you have no hours to actually train them. Managers spend more time in positions than actually managing which cuts down on their effectiveness.

Decide if you want to build a successful company for the long term or if you are just trying to make it look good so you can sell it. The slash and burn approach of simply cutting costs does not work and is a poor way of doing business. At the bakery level there have been many sacrifices. What are the people in the upper management positions sacrificing to help the situation?

Great Job

Current Employee - Counter Associate in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Counter Associate in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at Bruegger's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great food, nice customers and co-workers. I also like that they're pretty flexible with scheduling hours.

Cons

There aren't really any cons I can think of.

Great quality of life expect hell on the job

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours, and always expect to be home with your family for dinner or even lunch

Cons

They will work you to the bare of your teeth

Should be willing to spend a little more money and no not for a raise but to have an extra person throughout certain parts of the day to help ease tension and for the guest satisfaction you claim to want.

Current assistant manager, Cleveland

Current Employee - Current Assistsnt Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Current Assistsnt Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Bruegger's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Early hours, steady work, can build your own team, no deep fryers,

Cons

Workplace politics favors unfairly. Lots of drama. Upper management is disrespectful and talks down to everyone. Very small raises. Labor grid is irrational for expected guest service. No input as to which location you work at. Managers are incapable or ill fitted at their jobs remain in positions and those who work hard and are good managers are fired. Very high turn over. Stay clear of here for a while.

Not for everyone

Current Employee - Counter Associate in Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - Counter Associate in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at Bruegger's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great food, closes early, fun coworkers. You make great connections with the regulars and learn a lot about yourself. good work-life balance

Cons

Managers can be very difficult, not enough pay for the work demanded, extremely busy location!! very early hours

Management needs to take in account how hard employees work and compensate them for that, I've come into work at 5 am when everyone else that does that makes about a dollar more than me an hour. Managers could be friendlier.

Enjoyed

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Bruegger's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

worked well around my school schedule, promotions

Cons

does not hire seasonal, does not allow you to come back and work during school (college) breaks unless you plan to stay and are full-time (which goes back to the seasonal thing)

hire seasonal!

Nice short term job.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Bruegger's (less than an year)

Pros

Love my GM and assistant manager. Early closes. Some bakeries in a close enough area that I can work at multiple stores,

Cons

The pay blows. I took a large pay cut coming here because I was told I'd be on the fast track to assistant manager, there's been no sign of that. The closing shifts are too short. The district manager doesn't really seem to listen to any employee issues.

Listen to your employees. Don't promise promotions if you're not going to follow through. I have enough work experience to have the job I was promised.

Its ok for a between job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bruegger's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

work with great people, never work later than 8 pm, 50% discount and free drinks.

Cons

get set home early a lot, only make minimum wage, work week is Wednesday though Tuesday, schedule only put up every Thursday for next week and sometimes not until Tuesday. low staffed a lot.

store management might think that team members are the problem for low scores on customer reviews but if store managers was doing there job right maybe there would be happier employees. not having schedules up until Tuesday doesn't give team members enough time to fix them if needed, hours of availability are set for a reason and should be followed, and under staffing makes people upset about the wait and team members about the work load.

Started out great, but their refusal to take my opinion seriously, cost them one of the best GM's they had.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Bruegger's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No late nights, decent pay

Cons

EARLY mornings, unreliable staff, unqualified assistant managers, non existent help from corporate.

Consider that the people who work at ground level and build your restaurant from average to a money making machine in less than four years might have a little bit of experience behind those opinions, thoughts and strategies.
    Honesty goes a long way, but being blatantly dishonest about bonus calculations, etc. shows the scruples of a desperate company.

Bruegger's Photos