Brunswick Boat

Updated July 14, 2014
Updated July 14, 2014
3.6

Andrew E. (Andy) Graves

Solid workplace but on downward slide

Former Employee - Lead Network Technician in Vonore, TN
    Former Employee - Lead Network Technician in Vonore, TN

I worked at Brunswick Boat full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People, conditions, office, culture. benefits are all very solid. I enjoyed my time here and was compensated well when i was let go. Unfortunately the closure of another plant forced me out.

Cons

layoffs and closures are putting people out of jobs. Lets face it buying boats is a luxury item and people just are not doing it as much anymore.

Big business, small business culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Brunswick Boat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to play to your strengths and great networking connections. Management really allows you to take ownership of what you work on.

Cons

Lack structured training and communication of career paths. Often overworked and underpaid when looking at other companies and their employees. The pace can be very seasonal. At one moment, you're overwhelmed, at the other you're not sure what to be working on.

Communicate the big picture down to your employees.

Unstable, insecure? Beware

I have been working at Brunswick Boat full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun product. Flexible work schedule and location. Experiencing very dynamic change as dictated by the marketplace

Cons

Continuous layoffs and cutbacks. Every day you are looking over your shoulder for your manager and HR professional. Plant wide scheduled meetings are attended in fear of closure announcements

Not staying long term with this company

Current Employee - Worker in Lebanon, MO
    Current Employee - Worker in Lebanon, MO

I have been working at Brunswick Boat full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is close to home and I save on gas. I also have a job. That is about it as far as pros to list.

Cons

They outsource their human resources to a temporary placement company that really will hire anyone who applies. I have to work with felons and ex-cons. The atmosphere is very negative most of the time and there is no teamwork with other employees or management. There is no culture at all. They have no designated break room for the assemblers just some vending machines and a couple of microwaves. Jobs are threatened by managers and there are overlooked or neglected safety hazards in the plant.

Invest in tools and employee culture. Focus on teamwork and stop treating employees like sub-level beings.

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Brunswick Boat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and well built product.

Cons

This is a cyclical business

Experience at Brunswick Corp.

Former Employee - Data Reporting Auditor in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Data Reporting Auditor in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Brunswick Boat as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people above were very intelligent and gave me tremendous guidance to help me grow personal skills. They were always willing to help me out and teach me new things. All the people in the company were great all the way down to the cafeteria workers who prepared great lunches. Good work atmosphere

Cons

The different departments seemed to be divided. It was often hard to figure out who I needed to direct my help to.

Not perfect - but not bad.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Brunswick Boat

Pros

Great people.
    Really fun products.
    President and CEO appear to be morally grounded and highly intelligent.
    Fair pay and decent treatment even in bad times.
    Layoffs have happened, but only out of dire need.

Cons

Some of the "Peter Principle" at work in local management.
    Problems can sometimes be swept under the rug and left to fester.
    Some uncertainty due to the fact that this is a luxury item industry.

Be more in touch at local management level. Listen to people. Take employee satisfaction survey seriously. Address problems head on. The people at HQ and at the plants are an awesome resource. Great people with a real family attitude. Foster that and there will be no stopping this company.

Review of Brunswick Boat Group

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Edgewater, FL
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Edgewater, FL

I worked at Brunswick Boat

Pros

If you like to work near the water and design marine products.

Cons

Low Salaries and fluctuations in market conditions can lead to job security issues.

Try to retain employees

Great place in some areas of the company, but different story in other areas

Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales & Marketing in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Brunswick Boat

Pros

The product, boats, is great. Very exciting and FUN. Many very personable, motivated and competent people.

Cons

As a company to work for, there is lots of variation depending on 1) what division you are in and 2) the competence and basic decency of the senior management (typically just a handful of people) in the division.

When senior management in a division is competent, want to foster a positive work environment, and have employees work efficiently, it is a great place to work. There are numerous areas of the firm like this.

If some of senior management are challenged on the competency scale, have a poor attitude about creating a positive work environment and have questionable intentions on having employees to work efficiently, the firm can be a less attractive place to work. This is not to say that all the senior management is this way in some areas; it is only to say that a small number of these types in senior positions can impact the environment for many (and set a poor example for others to follow). These areas of the firm have a higher level of discontent, business 'snafu's' and employee turn nover. Unfortunately, the very best (the most competent and most team oriented) employees often have a high likelihood of leaving -- and the facts prove that.

Carefully evaluate what you hear about the work environment. Get input from every one. Above all, DO NOT BE overly influenced by those who appear to be willing to help the most. THESE are the people you want to look at the closest.

LISTEN and REACT to the employee surveys!!! Money was spent on this -- it is the only forum you have to actually cut through all the chatter you hear from the above people creating the issues. The people creating the issues will tell you any thing to keep the status quo (and themselves employed in key areas).

Great people . . . Great Products . . . Great Aspirations!

I have been working at Brunswick Boat full-time

Pros

Wonderful, cooperative teams to work with

Cons

Somewhat antiquated technology; resistent to new concepts, methodologies and ideas

Think outside the box
     Value and empower the immese talent you have on board.