Brunswick

Brunswick Chairman and CEO Dusty McCoy

Dusty McCoy

Hotel California

I worked at Brunswick full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey benefits and pay are good for selected professions making it difficult to leave despite the environment.

ConsMicromanagement, Ivory-tower syndrome, politics supersede intelligence in decision making and promotion. Employees work every day in fear of the jobs and and paranoia about management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. Widen the ratio of managers to employees. Negative management methods lead to high turnover.

Ineffective (and invisible) senior management.

I worked at Brunswick full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFairly competitive salaries (but bonuses are at the discretion of managers and can be allotted unfairly).

ConsEmployees are set up to fail due to the constantly increasing job duties and projects. Not to mention constant meetings where nothing is accomplished except for the decision to have another meeting. No guidance provided. Managers are ambivalent. Long-term employees are treated differently than others and are not held accountable or disciplined as others are. This was the most negative environment in which I've ever worked. So glad to be gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention and provide input to employees.

Run for the hills

Accounting (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brunswick full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a lot of long term employees.

ConsManagement sucks. Hardly ever see or hear from those making the decisions. Performance reviews are few, far between, and a joke. The long term employees (mostly useless) are not accountable for poor performance and "new" employees are there to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice other than 98% of management sucks.

Hotel California

I have been working at Brunswick full-time

ProsDon't want you to leave

ConsIvory Tower Syndrome, micro managers

Advice to Senior Managementempower the employees

Inconsistent and deleterious management style, including senior management.

Corporate (Former Employee)

I worked at Brunswick full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFairly competitive pay and some employees are very dedicated (and long term).

ConsDuring my entire 9 year tenure at Brunswick, I was consistently amazed and aghast at the incompetence of the entire Human Resources "team." The failure to take appropriate disciplinary action for clear violation of policy was/is egregiously random. The "Ethics Program" is ineffective and a joke among employees. Also, management, including (and especially) senior management, are very egocentric and fail to foster a positive environment for employees (there is no departmental cohesion). My last six months there, I literally only spoke with both my manager and my senior manager once (my manager spent more time on shopping websites and emailing friends than actual work). It is common knowledge that several senior managers are just biding time until retirement to cash in millions in stock.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved and create a positive departmental dynamic. Make employees accountable for violation of policy, including failure of acceptable performance.

A shell of its former self

Director (Former Employee)
Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Brunswick

ProsEnjoyable product lines with well known names.

ConsLack of consistent direction from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine what the future holds for the company. What are the competencies and how to leverage them to make the company relevant in the 21st century. Can you be a viable entity long term

Financial Analyst

Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Brunswick full-time for more than a year

ProsExposure to upper management. You have the potential to stand out and showcase your skills. There are many different departments in one corporate building that offer many different skills/opportunities.

ConsMicromanagement. There's also a lot of politics within the organization. Nothing is ever submitted on time resulting in hours past 9, multiple days in a row. Management does a poor job of managing. They don't know how to use your skill set and don't allow you to grow by listening to your suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess corporate drama, more independence to emoployees

Customer service / pinsetter technician

I have been working at Brunswick

ProsFriendly staff, highly discounted bowling with free shoes to rent. That's about it..

ConsPay is horrible, no performance reviews in 2 years, expect way too much from you, horrible hours take control of your life. Pinsetters are mechanics, customer service and mostly janitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like corporate robots and be human

Review

Bartender (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brunswick part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGet discounts on bowling and equipment. Also fun to talk to some of the league bowlers.

ConsCorporate expects too much from employees. They have no idea what is going on in the centers when they make a change.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo work in a very busy bowling center on a very busy Friday or Saturday night. GOOD LUCK TOO!!!!!!!

OKay, if you like to be micromanaged!

Event Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brunswick

ProsYou can sell something fun as opposed to something everyone needs. Every now and then you'll meet some people you really enjoy working with (clients and co-workers). You will get some good experience.

ConsSenior Management tends to manage with a "Big brother is watching," type of attitude. Spending too much time worrying about little details that do not matter in the swing of things. They are constantly micromanaging by sending a constant stream of emails, mile long to-do lists, and they're always checking up on you. Half of the week is spent putting together and sending reports to them. How is one to sell when we're filling out pointless reports?

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a little faith and trust your employees. You hired them, so you should trust that they will do a good job. It's okay to check in and look at the big picture, but stop micromanaging. It is making many employees angry and pushing them away from the company.

Worked for Brunswick? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brunswick reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Brunswick CEO Dusty McCoy. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Brunswick employees.