Brunswick Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great Company

I worked at Brunswick (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice work environment

Cons

Volatility in hiring and keeping employees.

Advice to Management

Keep good employees

Promote only from within

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Brunswick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When it was Brunswick it was awesome! They took care of their Managers very well and even received a call from the President of Brunswick on my birthday thanking me for my service.

Cons

Bowlmor took over Brunswick and is horrible. I would not recommend working for them. They don't treat you with respect like Brunswick did, The salaries are very different for men and women,. Definitely a glass ceiling in my district. If they tell you your pay is based on volume of sales in your center they are lying. I made $20K less that a MALE manager at a center that was as slow as mine and I worked twice as hard.

Advice to Management

Only promote from within. Bringing someone from outside the company into a GM role is wrong. There is way to much to learn and 2 weeks of training is not enough.

3. Great Company and Room For Growth

Current Employee - Plant Accountant in Vonore, TN
    Current Employee - Plant Accountant in Vonore, TN

I have been working at Brunswick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company for people in the field of finance and accounting. They even offer a FLDP Program that is very beneficial and offers great experience to Finance/Accounting. Salaries are decent.There are many opportunites for growth and experience in many areas

Cons

Some of the challenges I have faced is that the salary you come in at is basically your salary until you are promoted, so try to negotiate a decent salary that is good for a few years. The Pros out weigh the Cons

Advice to Management

Upper management is great in finance throughout the company. The management at the plant level is great where I am. Managers need to continue to care about employees and stay on equal playing field.

look some where else?

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Brunswick

Pros

Brunswick was a good company to work for but now they have sold to bowlmor amf and many changes are being made

Cons

they are making many bad changes and i would stay away from this company. Bowlmor is trying to take all the good things brunswick

Advice to Management

Don't make changes just because you think they are good. Every center is different and thats why they have maintained

6. Loved it most of the time

I worked at Brunswick full-time

Pros

Loved my center and staff. It was different everyday.

Cons

Hard to advance. Corporate would implement things that were impossible

Advice to Management

Treat your managers better

Career Dead End

I worked at Brunswick

Pros

Salaries and benefits are competitive with any industry outside of financial services

Cons

Training and development are alien concepts, there is an expectation of a 24/7 commitment, and the leadership is schizophrenic about what it says it values and what it rewards and encourages.

Advice to Management

Resign

8. Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Brunswick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to upper management. You have the potential to stand out and showcase your skills. There are many different departments in one corporate building that offer many different skills/opportunities.

Cons

Micromanagement. There's also a lot of politics within the organization. Nothing is ever submitted on time resulting in hours past 9, multiple days in a row. Management does a poor job of managing. They don't know how to use your skill set and don't allow you to grow by listening to your suggestions.

Advice to Management

Less corporate drama, more independence to emoployees

9. Customer service / pinsetter technician

I have been working at Brunswick

Pros

Friendly staff, highly discounted bowling with free shoes to rent. That's about it..

Cons

Pay is horrible, no performance reviews in 2 years, expect way too much from you, horrible hours take control of your life. Pinsetters are mechanics, customer service and mostly janitors.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like corporate robots and be human

Ineffective (and invisible) senior management.

I worked at Brunswick full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly competitive salaries (but bonuses are at the discretion of managers and can be allotted unfairly).

Cons

Employees are set up to fail due to the constantly increasing job duties and projects. Not to mention constant meetings where nothing is accomplished except for the decision to have another meeting. No guidance provided. Managers are ambivalent. Long-term employees are treated differently than others and are not held accountable or disciplined as others are. This was the most negative environment in which I've ever worked. So glad to be gone.

Advice to Management

Pay attention and provide input to employees.

Hotel California

I worked at Brunswick full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They benefits and pay are good for selected professions making it difficult to leave despite the environment.

Cons

Micromanagement, Ivory-tower syndrome, politics supersede intelligence in decision making and promotion. Employees work every day in fear of the jobs and and paranoia about management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. Widen the ratio of managers to employees. Negative management methods lead to high turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed