Bruster's

Fun

Former Employee - Ice Cream Scooper in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Ice Cream Scooper in Marietta, GA

I worked at Bruster's

Pros

Great work environment, coworkers were cool, were flexible with hours; could trade off one shift with another coworker pretty easily, got to eat free samples of ice cream!

Cons

need better trainers, started out got yelled at cause i didnt close properly, even though it was still my second week there, need to have at least 3 official trainers, not just the first person they find; had to learn a lot by myself or had to ask around.

please improve your training.

Great company with wonderful managers

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Bruster's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked there for 2 summers. Fun and friendly environment, managers are encouraging, ice cream is made in the back and it's delicious!

Cons

Working nights and weekends isn't ideal, but it really is great for a first job or a summer job

Wonderful! First job in high school

Former Employee - Scooper/Crewleader in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - Scooper/Crewleader in Cumming, GA

I worked at Bruster's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, free ice cream, customer service experience

Cons

simple work, hours are hard to get in winter

Provide more opportunity for leadership in young employees

It was a great first job!

I worked at Bruster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and it was very easy to familiarize yourself to the menu and all the different flavors ice cream. It was also very easy to balance with school work. I worked here all throughout high school starting when I was 14.

Cons

It was a minimum wage job with little advancement opportunities. It was also hard to get the smell of ice cream off of your clothes when you left work. There were very few hours given in the winter time.

Decent environment, but stingy owners and lots of dirty work.

I worked at Bruster's (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to maintain a flexible schedule. The job helped me to be better with customer service and put them first at all times. The place always smelled AMAZING, which could be good or bad :)

Cons

This is more of an individual location thing, but the owners never let us keep out tips. They were also very stingy when it came to customers, so we weren't able to give the best service possible.

Better than standard food industry job.

Former Employee - Scooper/Crewleader
    Former Employee - Scooper/Crewleader

I worked at Bruster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible vacation allowances; got to work with small crews (2-5 coworkers) in a cooperative environment.

Cons

Dealing with ornery customers could be a drag. Very little room to promote within the scope of the store. Tendency towards short shifts.

Provide longer, more consistent shifts.

Great first job in high school!

Former Employee - Key Holder/Shift Leader in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Shift Leader in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Bruster's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules. Not very demanding. Easy to balance school. Fun place to work. Easy work. You get to sample ice cream! Customer service experience.

Cons

Pay is not that great. Hours are often lacking during off season. Weekend work. Sometimes you have to request a weekend day off just to have a weekend. They do try to give you at least 1 weekend day but it doesn't always happen. Hours are not long though so you can work plans around them.

Show more appreciation to workers. They make you the money. Show less favoritism

Great job for teens

Former Employee - Scooper, Ice Cream Maker, Crew Leader
    Former Employee - Scooper, Ice Cream Maker, Crew Leader

I worked at Bruster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get needed days off
    Friendly environment
    Flexible management
    Great tips
    Free ice cream

Cons

Standing for long periods of time without legit breaks

Good only as a summer job

Current Employee - Ice Cream Scooper in Evans, GA
    Current Employee - Ice Cream Scooper in Evans, GA

I have been working at Bruster's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only thing really good about this job is that they will work with your school schedule. You can take a lot of days off and get those days off. I loved the people I worked with and this job was extremely easy.

Cons

Crew leaders make more management decisions than the actual managers. These crew leaders are also young and most don't even have good management qualities. People are promoted to crew leader based on random mystery shops. Mystery shops determine how good your customer service. They were random and summer helpers typically never got mystery shopped. One of my co workers was mystery shopped 6 times and I did not get a single one. The crew leader promotion did not come with a raise at my store. They expected you to take on added stress and not receive proper compensation for it. The store also continually purchased outdated technology including the drive thru headsets. I couldn't hear anyone on the headsets. There really is no point in staying here because you will never be able to make more than minimum wage.

Promotions should come with a raise no matter the store. Dissatisfied employees will only do the minimum and they will eventually quit. Employees should receive better than this

Bring on the Stress

Current Employee - Ice Cream Maker, Crew Leader in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Ice Cream Maker, Crew Leader in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Bruster's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule.... That's it... Seriously.

Cons

- Bad... BAD management.
    - Very disorganized
    - "Promotions" come without compensation. (Poor raises, if any)
    - Unnescessary stress from employees, managers, and customers.

Managers all take off the same nights, leaving a Crew Leader (myself) in charge. This extra responsibility comes with no raise or even the slightest hint of recognition.
    I've worked at the same store for four years; I've been a 'Scooper', a 'Crew Leader', a 'Shift Manager', and an 'Ice Cream Maker'... All at the same time. Four years, no raise.. No recognition.

Managers are supposed to MANAGE... Not unload their work on others.
    Stop giving Crew Leaders the Manger's work load and responsibility if you're not going to pay/treat them accordingly.