Bruster's

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Sahene

Great first job in high school!

Key Holder/Shift Leader (Former Employee)
    Spartanburg, SC

ProsFlexible schedules. Not very demanding. Easy to balance school. Fun place to work. Easy work. You get to sample ice cream! Customer service experience.

ConsPay is not that great. Hours are often lacking during off season. Weekend work. Sometimes you have to request a weekend day off just to have a weekend. They do try to give you at least 1 weekend day but it doesn't always happen. Hours are not long though so you can work plans around them.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to workers. They make you the money. Show less favoritism

Great job for teens

Scooper, Ice Cream Maker, Crew Leader (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to get needed days off
    Friendly environment
    Flexible management
    Great tips
    Free ice cream

ConsStanding for long periods of time without legit breaks

Bring on the Stress

Ice Cream Maker, Crew Leader (Current Employee)
    Glen Burnie, MD

ProsFlexible schedule.... That's it... Seriously.

Cons- Bad... BAD management.
    - Very disorganized
    - "Promotions" come without compensation. (Poor raises, if any)
    - Unnescessary stress from employees, managers, and customers.

Managers all take off the same nights, leaving a Crew Leader (myself) in charge. This extra responsibility comes with no raise or even the slightest hint of recognition.
    I've worked at the same store for four years; I've been a 'Scooper', a 'Crew Leader', a 'Shift Manager', and an 'Ice Cream Maker'... All at the same time. Four years, no raise.. No recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are supposed to MANAGE... Not unload their work on others.
    Stop giving Crew Leaders the Manger's work load and responsibility if you're not going to pay/treat them accordingly.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good only as a summer job

Ice Cream Scooper (Current Employee)
    Evans, GA

ProsThe only thing really good about this job is that they will work with your school schedule. You can take a lot of days off and get those days off. I loved the people I worked with and this job was extremely easy.

ConsCrew leaders make more management decisions than the actual managers. These crew leaders are also young and most don't even have good management qualities. People are promoted to crew leader based on random mystery shops. Mystery shops determine how good your customer service. They were random and summer helpers typically never got mystery shopped. One of my co workers was mystery shopped 6 times and I did not get a single one. The crew leader promotion did not come with a raise at my store. They expected you to take on added stress and not receive proper compensation for it. The store also continually purchased outdated technology including the drive thru headsets. I couldn't hear anyone on the headsets. There really is no point in staying here because you will never be able to make more than minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions should come with a raise no matter the store. Dissatisfied employees will only do the minimum and they will eventually quit. Employees should receive better than this

Good place to starts.

Scooper (Current Employee)
    Georgetown, KY

ProsIt's a nice good place to start if you're still in high school or just out wanting a bit if experience. Very relaxed. Very chill environment,

ConsDealing with rude customers is something you'll have to deal with. It happens. Also, Nathan's is dumb. It's a hassle having that portion of the store added.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake out Nathan's so we can server just ice creams.

Great place, poor management.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Washington, PA

ProsIt's always nice to work somewhere that kids come and leave happy. Able to gain a lot of customer service experience, as well as working with a team.

ConsThe management was poor and leadership was low. Orders placed for cakes would go unfulfilled, and when trying to contact a manager, they would not answer their phones. It was also over-populated with workers from a particular school district because they all knew each other, and would get jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a manager who is more concerned about the company, rather than their social/night life.

It's hard to review franchise companies, but I was satisfied at my store.

Scooper (Former Employee)
    Alpharetta, GA

Pros> Fun work environment!
    > Great first job or high school job
    > Very flexible schedule
    > Cash and credit tips
    > Secret shopper visits... I received 106% on two of my customer service evaluations and to this day I attach those scores to my job applications to vouch for my customer service skills. We're taught that customer service is paramount, and it pays off. Additionally, receiving a score of 100 or higher offers cash incentives and enters employees into drawings for different prizes at the end of "secret shopper season."
    > Terriffic opportunities to make LOTS of tips

Cons> The company is franchised, so if your store isn't in spectacular financial shape (like in my case), pay raises aren't even an option.
    > Your tips are supposed to cover 2.00/hour of your whole pay. We're guaranteed 7.25/hour, but if our tips are sufficient enough, only 5.25/hour will come out of our manager's pocket.

Advice to Senior ManagementA pay raise system based on longevity or experience would be nice. Because even if money is hard to come by, I'd been there for over two years and was still earning the same amount I started with on day one.

Fun but pretty dead end.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Ice Cream and goodies

ConsManagement is pretty bad as well as the overall business concept. A drive thru/ walkup ice cream store? Think about the idiocracy of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more hot girls...Sex sells, bro.

Your average crappy summer job, but they rip you off

Scooper (Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsFree ice cream when you work. And great product!

ConsNot much flexibility in hours, low pay - minimum wage and they TOOK TIPS OUT of our pay! I get that they pay minimum wage, as similar jobs do too, but when they use our tips to make up minimum wage (effectively paying us less than minimum wage) it is the opposite of motivating. It rips us off and the customers are trying to tip *us* and do something nice for us as thanks for our great service, not save the head honchos money on our salaries!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to rip off your workers.

Worst Part Time Job Ever

Scooper (Current Employee)

ProsI liked my co-workers.
    Not many positives.

ConsHours were horrible
    You will get told to go on rediculously long breaks or told not to come in
    Crew leaders make more management decisions than the managers that I never see.
    Pay is nothing.
    Tips are taken from your paycheck and are not bonuses.
    If you aren't a crew leader you get sent home alot and get next to nothing pay.

Worked for Bruster's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bruster's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bruster's CEO Jim Sahene. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Bruster's employees.