Bryan University

Updated May 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chad Evans

A place where people believe in you

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsOver the past 5 years Bryan University has grown and expanded giving opportunities to employees that work hard and give back. It is not about working 50+ hours, but the quality of your work. Bryan University is like any company and looks for employees that are team oriented and willing to go the extra mile of students. They empower you to do the right thing for students.

ConsThey do not offer a 401k. It would be nice to have cheaper benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep empowering your employees.

Beyond Disappointed, there should be a minus star

Instructor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNothing, I cannot come up with anything good to say.

ConsIn 2011, when I started teaching at Bryan University the Health Information Management program was in candidacy to get CAHIIM accreditation. That never happened. It is now 2014, the school is still not accreditated. Students who graduated in 2012 with the hope of writing the RHIT exam will be left out in the cold. Poor management is the reason the school did not go forward and become accredited. There were three of good qualified AHIMA credentialed teachers on staff, more than cabaple of participating in the accreditation process who would have brought the school through accreditation. Instead the school left the accreditation in the hands of individuals who did nothing and they got nothing and the got rid of the AHIMA credentialed teachers. What does this say for company values?

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome CAHIIM accreditate and pay off the student loans for the students who aged out of the opportunity to take the RHIT exam.

Disenfranchised and Disappointed

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat mission statement as an ideal to aim towards. Good specialized programs with career focus.

ConsThe entire culture and climate is dictated by the immediate Manager who is given complete discretion and latitude to manage as they see fit. No true checks and balances are in place to ensure management is fair, ethical and congruent with the mission and vision of the school. Upper management at the top is either neglectful of the mistreatment of staff or ignorant and aloof of its own business practices.

Heavy turnover with upper Management in Admissions. Usually a sign that the company either doesn't know exactly what they want or how to go about accomplishing their overall objective.

Inconsistent direction. In admissions, they expect consistent results, yet the processes and direction are very inconsistent and changes with each manager running the department like their own business whether it resonates with the company's true character or not.

Hopes of advancement are a lure in attempts to increase production and create departmental retention. Talk of growth and advancement are just that. Within almost 4 years of employment, 2 Reps out of 18 were promoted early on to management positions, there haven't been any since. It's a 'dead end' for growth within the company regardless of your effort and production.

At first impressions, Bryan University has the appearance of having a different focus and unique perspective almost setting itself apart from all the other for-profit schools, but time will tell a different story. The school's focus on hitting the "sales goal", whether for profit or reinvestment in the company is all the same.

My experience has been that Bryan University has a particular arrogance, neglect and a self-serving management at the top that seems to care about one thing, its image. Being a private, family owned and operated school you would expect more genuine warmth, better communication, more advancement opportunities for top performers and better treatment for those that share the vision and mindset of Bryan, especially when they put in an honest effort to help grow the company and build its reputation for the better. Not so!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a competent, ethical and honest Manager that TRULY exemplifies the mission statement within the work family.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inexperienced Management Across the Board

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat work environment, family friendly.

ConsGrossly inexperienced senior and mid-level management. This shows consistently in decision making. No consistency in decisions, mission in paper only. Revolves around admissions, nothing more.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet someone who actually knows how to do this. Stop hiring friends/family or giving away jobs to people who are grossly unqualified. Get rid of the baggage, not sure how you expect change when you refuse to change leadership. Gets old seeing no growth opportunities unless you are close to the family or continue to fail at the position they already have, makes no sense.

Great Company Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsWork/Life balance and schedule is amazing
    Company supplements snacks and gourmet coffee for free

ConsThe company does not offer 401k benefits

Advice to Senior Management401k benefits would make a huge difference

Unqualified managers

Instructor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBryan University is privately owned by a man who is passionate about education. He keeps student fees remarkably low ($24,500 for a 2-year program). The president and chief academic officer is a fine educator and the same can be said for the dean in Los Angeles. The problem came when most of the instructors were shifted to reporting to management in Tempe, AZ. The owner is a good hearted person who promoted an individual who was not qualified to run rough shot and micro manage the entire staff.

ConsPay is below the standard and work hours were long. It was impossible to change text books and the classes were only 5-weeks long. Instructors were seasoned professionals and knew what changes were needed for best student outcomes. We were ignored in favor of what brought in the best money. I had hopes this school would be different from other career schools, it was not in my opinion. I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy and large your students are poor and when they leave school they will be poor with debt. According to Bryan's own figures only 53% get jobs. By the way are you counting the students with jobs at the Dollar store? When you look at your nice fat pay check and sink your teeth into that thick steak remember the backs you earned it off. The other 47% may be living in their cars and not eating.

Fantastic Group of Visionaries

Senior IT Associate (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsPushing the boundaries of traditional education. Willing to include the latest technologies into teaching and classroom environments

ConsSmaller school, not as renown as University of Phoenix.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe IT department works harder than anyone for less recognition. They could use more support.

Teaching experience was great.

Online Instructor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlexible, online technology of distance e-learning is top of the line.

ConsUpper Management made a bad decision to move the online operations to Tempe, Az. A lot of good teachers lost jobs when they did not want to relocate. Upper Management did not communicate important issues to faculty. Upper Management micromanaged.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve faculty in major decisions. Listen to the suggestions of your faculty and read your students' surveys. Be loyal to your instructors.

Sell Education

ProsNice co-workers as most have great passion

Consno advancement opportunities and it is not about the students it is about making numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring your friends

Worked for Bryan University? Contribute to the Community!