Bubba Gump Shrimp

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
2.5

Gordon Miles

Pros
  • In addition, the busyness means good money for servers (in 4 reviews)

• Also the tip-share is great and training is helpful (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • you are only allowed to have 3 tables ans you don't get good sections if you've been there less than a year (in 3 reviews)

• The only cons are having to study and know everything on the menue, and that there isn't much room for growth (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

The black abyss of jobs

Former Employee - Server in Monterey, CA

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Server Training/ no experience necessary
    Great for young outgoing servers
    Given Opportunity for growth; Can move to the Souvenir Shop, administrative, and sometimes management if you want to blow your brains out.

Cons

Worst management I have ever witnessed
    Most management are too concerned with being everyone's buddy or else overplaying the hard-a** to be good at their job.
    Management are consistently nowhere to be found when needed and complain when they are needed.
    Only allowed 3 tables.
    Always given bad sections if not buddies with management or not selling crazy amounts of merchandise.
    Have to pay $19/month for food discount after Landry's took over
    Have to push overpriced food and drinks and then deal with the guest complaints/bad tip after.
    Have to deal with the usual 2 or 3 "Bubba's for Life" idiots hoping to move onto management one day.
    Company values the money they might make not the the employee whatsoever.

Stop complaining every time someone needs something from you. Try being a manager and helping the servers when they are all starting to get in the weeds on a busy day(without griping about it). Stop holding all meetings, that require all managers to attend, during the middle of a rush. It would also be great if you would acknowledge when a server/host/bartender gets a compliment from a guest and not just acknowledge when they're doing poorly.

Good atmosphere, but awful management.

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Bubba Gump Shrimp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great job for someone that is trying to complete a degree or have a family to take care of, because they give you every opportunity to take time off.

Cons

awful insurance plan! very expensive for very little coverage... You must work 35 or more hours to even get insurance from the company anyways. Also management needs to learn how to have compassion for employees and show that they are worth it.

Consider having better values other than the bottom line. As i said before show your staff that you care about each employee.

Depressing.

Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp part-time

Pros

I was told coming into this job that its easy to raise up to management. The customers are also all fun to talk to because they're visiting from all over the world.

Cons

First of all training is seriously too intense. You have to study all the dishes and as soon as you walk in they sit you down and quiz you. If you get one wrong you're sent back upstairs to study for 45 minutes. So its not good if you're a hands on learner. Don't expect to get through training. The staff is miserable. Right in front of me my trainer would complain how much he hated training people. Then they would all act like were so much better than you and never were happy to help you. There was only one staff member there that made any attempt to be nice to me. Once i got through training it was the same. All the staff members were snobby and i eventually had to find another job because it was so miserable. It didn't even feel like a personal situation, they just made the environment unbearable. I have been serving for 3 years prior to this so its not like i was a bad trainee.

Work on your staffs attitude towards trainees. And each other. I witnessed a lot of back talking in my short time here.

You make a lot, but you sell your soul.

Former Employee - Server in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I walked out with at least one hundred dollars in tips on most nights, if not more. The location on the pier was gorgeous.

Cons

Management provides next to no support for the wait staff. Almost everyone working there is your classic Hollywood "model/actor/singer" type and they will constantly pressure you to switch shifts so they can make it to last minute auditions. The clientele that this location attracts will often leave without tipping their servers. Managers are overworked and are often unbearable as a result. Incredibly clique-y staff.

Support your servers more. Don't micromanage, and allow room for multiple styles of serving. Work with corporate and create policies to protect servers from unreasonable customers.

Fun place to work, but easy to get stuck there.

I have been working at Bubba Gump Shrimp

Pros

good training, fun coworkers,fast pace

Cons

not a lot of care for employees a lot of hours little pay

actually care about employees don't just pretend to .

Good place to learn how to serve

Former Employee - Server in Monterey, CA

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training program for serving is thorough enough to teach beginning servers how to serve well

Cons

Management tends to treat servers as "numbers" and encountered favoritism in terms of server sections. Trivia has to be done with each table, and gets annoying after awhile.

Lame,

I have been working at Bubba Gump Shrimp

Pros

Food was half off and that was really it.

Cons

Mostly the managment, the rudeness of some customers, of employees, of managers the whole 9 yards

Good job for the summer

Former Employee - Server in Kemah, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Kemah, TX

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The environment is fun and servers typically get along with each other. Everyone worked as a team to get stuff done instead of just worrying about themselves. Managers were very understanding. The money is pretty good if this is a side job, but I can see it being difficult to get by while paying bills and living expenses.

Cons

Very fast paced, especially since it is a tourist attraction. Management pushed servers to sell company loyalty cards and merchandise. Doing movie trivia with guests could be challenging if the restaurant is pretty busy and your tables are constantly running you, but management did not really care. It would have been much easier to work at a restaurant that is not themed.

I felt as though sometimes customers were getting angered by their wait-time. A lot of the times, this was due to the kitchen. I understand that the restaurant is big and the cooks are going as fast as possible, but it might be good to invest in expanding the kitchen, or the amount of cooks.

Amazing Experience & Training!

Former Employee - Certified Server Trainger in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Certified Server Trainger in Monterey, CA

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bubba Gump taught me fantastic service and hospitality skills. This company puts out some of the best service staff I have worked with. The company is great to work for and fun to be in.

Cons

Very high volume seasonally. On the off season you will need a second job.

Great for short term

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp

Pros

It's a great place to work for a summer

Cons

It's not great to work long term

Bubba Gump Shrimp Photos

Outside The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company restaurant located in Long Beach, California. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo