Bubba Gump Shrimp

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
2.6

Gordon Miles

Pros
  • In addition, the busyness means good money for servers (in 4 reviews)

• Also the tip-share is great and training is helpful (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • you are only allowed to have 3 tables ans you don't get good sections if you've been there less than a year (in 3 reviews)

• The only cons are having to study and know everything on the menue, and that there isn't much room for growth (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun place to work, days and nights flew by and always had fun with my co-workers.

Former Employee - Host in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Host in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Atmosphere, meeting people from all over the world. Very loud and a family friendly environment.

Cons

"Probation" trial period when you first get hired. If after your training they don't think you're what they're looking for, you're fired.

Nothing

Depressing.

Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bubba Gump Shrimp part-time

Pros

I was told coming into this job that its easy to raise up to management. The customers are also all fun to talk to because they're visiting from all over the world.

Cons

First of all training is seriously too intense. You have to study all the dishes and as soon as you walk in they sit you down and quiz you. If you get one wrong you're sent back upstairs to study for 45 minutes. So its not good if you're a hands on learner. Don't expect to get through training. The staff is miserable. Right in front of me my trainer would complain how much he hated training people. Then they would all act like were so much better than you and never were happy to help you. There was only one staff member there that made any attempt to be nice to me. Once i got through training it was the same. All the staff members were snobby and i eventually had to find another job because it was so miserable. It didn't even feel like a personal situation, they just made the environment unbearable. I have been serving for 3 years prior to this so its not like i was a bad trainee.

Work on your staffs attitude towards trainees. And each other. I witnessed a lot of back talking in my short time here.

Love Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Server in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bubba Gump Shrimp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

VERY EASY to TRANSFER, GREAT LOCATIONS. T-shirts and Jean uniform. Overall easy gig.

Cons

Locations attract non-tipping tourists. Some of the worst in any job .Landry's is super corporate: You have to pay each week to get a discount on food & SODA! One girl won the "safety bingo" and had to pay taxes on her bingo winnings. That's like paying taxes on a super bowl pool. Training is intense...you have to study more than any test you have taken and memorize EVERY food & drink ingredient and some stupid top ten slogan. Get the feeling corporate could care less about their employees.

Gratuity needs to be added to all checks (or at least 4 tops). The type of clientele that come in here warrants it. NEVER in any job have I seen so many people that tip 5-10% constantly (or less) and I have been waiting tables for 10 years. This is at more than one location too! I've seen in in Cali and Florida. Bubba Gumps attracts tourists that don' t tip! Also there is really no incentive to stay. No promotions, bonuses...etc. unless you want to be a certified trainer. And they should give some sort of prizes to people when they do trivia.

Fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bubba Gump Shrimp

Pros

Opportunity to make good money in summer

Cons

Hard to make money in winter

Stop hiring so many people during slow season

Bubba Gump Shrimp Photos

Outside The Bubba Gump Shrimp Company restaurant located in Long Beach, California. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo