Buccaneer Computer

Be The First To
Add Photos

Heather Newell

Great opportunities!

ProsGet to work with new hardware and software, great opporunities for advancement

ConsCan be long hours during patching weekends.

Great place to work

Network Technician (Former Employee) Warrenton, VA

ProsNo micro-management, Friendly work place, co-workers go out of their way to help

Consdidn't really see any growing potential to another position

Minimum 8 hour for salary employees

V&V Test Specialist (Current Employee) Warrenton, VA

ProsCasual dress work environment, great pay, excellent benefits except for sick time (6 days a year).

ConsNepotism hiring practices. Good ole boy club. It's not what you know, but who you know that counts. Company has went through 2 mergers in a year. Hard work is rewarded with more work and minimal to no increase in pay or title. You are required to put in a minimum of 8 hours a day, but expected to put in more than 40 a week. There is no comp time. If you work 20 hours in 2 days, you still have to put in 8 on the 3rd, 4th and 5th day. If you take a day off, they expect you to make it up, instead of using your vacation or sick time.

Their is no coordination, people are stubbling and stepping all over each other. There is no respect between managers. Most are know it alls, even when they don't know.

Internal teams throw other internal teams under the bus. CYA, save everything, never know when you will need proof.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit hiring your friends, relatives,church and support group buddies. Your employees are to scared to tell you that your friends, relatives, church and support buddies usually have no idea what they are doing! Don't tell your employees that you are concerned about their work load or their unhappiness on the job. We know you don't care and it adds to our frustration, when you do nothing in response to our concerns.

Your employees names are not honey, baby, sweetie or love. Please address your employees in a professional manner.

Please do not threaten to break employees finger, in order to motivate them to complete their tasks.
    Quit showing favortism to employees that are your buddies. Your buddies are lieing to you and making up work, that they are not doing.

Quit letting your buddies work from home, while you tell everyone else, working from home in not allowed.

Please don't reward your employee by telling them how much you love them, after they complete a difficult task. Our relationship is only professional, and we complete tasks because they were assigned, not because we think you are special.

Sometimes employees need to express some 'not so nice things', so quit being a hopeless optimist, suck it up and attempt to fix it. Quit wagging your finger at your employees, like they are children and making comments like 'I am so dissappointed in you'. Your disappointment is a personal opinion. If we are following policies and procedures, then there is nothing to be disappointed about. Quit thinking every e-mail has a negative tone, it we do not use smiley faces in our correspondence :) okay. We have worked in a few companies and have had many managers, but never a manager like that, until now.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pirate's Life for me

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Warrenton, VA

ProsBuccaneer has top notch benefits...100% premium payed on health care for individuals and families. Fun culture, family friendly. A strong focus on employee morale. Overall great company to work for, highly recommended. They keep soda's priced at .25 cents. Team environment and plenty of great folks to work with.

ConsIt is easy to become pigeonholed in a role.

Advice to Senior ManagementMid tier management needs to work on employee development and allow employees to rotate in and out of different teams. I find that it is interesting that the best engineers don't always get promoted because managers don't want to let them go.

A fun, relaxed working environment with great comradely company-wide.

Systems Test Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThe V&V department is a relaxed and fun environment, even when testing cycles are painfully compressed. It seems like everyone in the department is easy-going and enjoy coming to work every day. Every team is willing to help out others when testing gets overwhelming. The benefits are paid 100% for veteran testers by the company (Vangent's recent acquisition changed the policy for new employees). From the CEO down to the lower-level positions, everyone is on a first name basis and very laid back. Offices instead of cubicles!

ConsWith the recent acquisition by Vangent, there is already apparent changes. Company-sponsored events are dwindling down; which is where higher level employees had the chance to meet all the employees on a more personal level. Vangent seems more concerned about their bottom line rather than keeping the things that made Buccaneer the beloved company it was (less company events, holiday bonuses, benefits, raises).

The V&V department seems hesitant on allowing hard-working, experienced testers move to different departments within the company. No overtime wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementGary did a great job of keeping all the employees informed of the good and the less-desired happenings within the company. Don't be afraid to keep us informed of the less-desired happenings as well. As much as everyone dreads the changes that come with an acquisition, it's better to be informed prior.

Awesome company!

ProsThis is a company that truly cares about its people. Nice folks all around, and is very interested in developing its people.

ConsThey were recently acquired by a firm called Vangent (located in Arlington, VA), so they are in a transitional period right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your best to maintain your identity as a firm in light of the acquisition. If anyone can do it, it's you.

Great place to work

ProsGreat benefits
    Good pay
    Advancement potential
    Great culture
    Small company feel with mid-sized company stability
    Training available and encouraged
    Business units fairly independent

ConsFast paced requirements in the field sometimes held up by corporate bureaucracy
    401K match doesn't happen until the end of the year
    Annual raises are effective at the end of the quarter of your review

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate support should serve the field offices generating revenue and not the other way around. Corporate probably feels they need to reign in loose cannons in the field and ensure everything is correct. I understand their concern but there has to be a middle ground.

Worked for Buccaneer Computer? Contribute to the Community!