Buchanan Technologies

Updated November 9, 2014
Updated November 9, 2014
3.7

Jim Buchanan

Great place to learn and make money at the same time!

I have been working at Buchanan Technologies full-time

Pros

Family oriented environment, good benefits (especially the education/certification ones), small company feel.

Cons

Not enough communication from the owner and other officers.

Spend some time out at the remote offices, tell us about how the company is doing and share future plans.

Service Desk Analyst

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Buchanan Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

40 hour work week with no weekends guaranteed.
    Benefits packages including health, dental/vision, life insurance, 401K plan.
    PC/Mobile Device/Educational/Certification Reimbursement.
    Free access to online video training is offered.
    Small team environment creating a family environment.
    PTO/Vacation time earned quickly.
    Raises are rewarded for each certification accomplished.

Cons

Terrible salary only pay, especially after graduating with a ton of school loan debt.
    Promised bonuses for reaching out SLA are way behind schedule as our team only received 1/3 this year so far.
    Scheduled quarterly 3 week paychecks are expected and even documented have not yet been transferred to any of the analysts paychecks. Either there is miscommunication or we have a serious issue that needs corporate attention.

The health insurance is great, but it definitely is not free, but there are different levels of packages to choose from.
    The one dental/vision package leaves few options of doctors/stores to choose from and with the low monthly deductible, expect to pay plenty out of pocket for routine procedures/services/products.
    But again, at least we are offered some options.

No overtime pay, although your manager will offer to ask his manager who will then ask the director, then pray that it gets approved. I have yet to hear of anyone completing that long process as communication is cut off from your direct manager and important things such as being asked to work overtime to meet your SLA, which keeps us from losing our jobs. The option most analysts will go for is to leave or come in late. which only works for those few who have an non-opening/non-closing shift. Those are also the ones who are most likely to get overtime pay, which is unfair.

The team I was assigned to did not have permissions to do much, so we spent too much time not fixing issues.
    Most of the reasoning behind the restrictions had to do with denied access to essential tasks, such as software installs, remote support, Active Directory permissions, software installs of any kind, outdated and proprietary software, unavailable hardware for the user, therefore obligating analysts to "escalate" a good number to issues to the corresponding team across the country by telling the user to expect a "call back soon."
    The upset user may call/email us back repeatedly, creating more tickets, which is frustrating for all busy parties.

We are expected to perform at an OCD level working off a call script, which makes us sound like a programmed robot and are scorned upon for not reading the script exactly as it is written. It is possible to do on most cases, but there will be times where time/situations do not allow us to. And those just happen to be the "random" calls that are evaluated by both the analyst and their managers through a spreadsheet verbatim, in between "dead time" which we rarely have.

So focus on negative results rather than positive can effect confidence and moral of the analyst, especially when the team is expected complete the tasks multiple times a week during your shift by the middle of the week after
    Analysts often get called out of their workstations immediately following a call and sometimes right in the middle of a call, which can cause the analyst to lose focus and become upset, resulting in more poor calls and less motivation.

This is the only job I have had where there are no routine team meetings, not even a team meeting for as major as a virus attack or power outage. There are weekly one-on-one meetings with the analyst and the supervisor which feedback and ideas are taken as "excuses" and taken defensively. There are rare events, such as cookouts on weekends which can be pleasant for those who are available.

Analysts are not paid enough and are frustrated. Raises are minute, bonuses and the pay schedule needs to be clearly defined because the team needs it. They are stuck wondering when the bonus is coming and if they were lied to about the quarterly 3 week paycheck. The best analysts are leaving and the ones that stay are the ones who actually care about the success of the team and the company. They know if they leave too, it will cause more stress on the rookies and possibly cause the loss of a contract everyone had worked to hard to keep, far exceeding the SLA.

I believe an hour long paid team meeting every month or so will go a long way to increase productivity, clear confusion, boost moral, allow voiced opinions/ideas and even just relax the team. At a cost though, which may be the reason why there are not work-related team meetings.

Resume builder

Former Employee - Support Center Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Support Center Analyst in Dayton, OH

I worked at Buchanan Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will get a lot of experience with many different clients and systems, covering a wide range of IT skills. Will pay up-front for industry training and certifications if you want them (instead of reimbursed afterward like some others).

Cons

The pay is well below average for support center work, and pay is frozen at the starting rate. Training is brief and you are mainly expected to learn by using knowledgebases while on the job. Scheduling and workload can be problems due to minimal staffing levels.

Systems Admin/Field Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Administrative/Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative/Field Engineer

I have been working at Buchanan Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Schedule, pay and overall commute to clients that need IT support.

Cons

No feedback on employee performance, no follow through on advancing ones position.

Entry level stepping stone

Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Dayton, OH

I worked at Buchanan Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn. Friendly people, and friendly clients. They pay for certificates and give you a lot of feedback/constructive criticism. The current boss of the core team is very personable and helpful.

Cons

They call it a Tier 1 job, but if you work on the core team, it is definitely a tier 2 job, with a 12.50 pay rate. They will pick up clients and add to your work load without giving a raise. Really though, there are no raises. Revolving door of employment.

Don't increase workload without increasing compensation.
    Give raises to your high performers.

Call center sweatshop

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Buchanan Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked there for 2+ years and loved the team members I worked with. Small team and family orientated feel.

Cons

Never had a raise, kept adding more work on you while expecting you to continue doing your normal job. management will talk about how your busy but expect you to do more. Focus is on customer service and a checklist of things to say. This makes it feel to rehearsed and not building a relationship with the clients. Very high turn over rate as well

Focus on making your employees happy and in turn will make the clients happy. Give people raises. CEO does not want to build a company just profits. Stated that he does not want you to make this a life career and wants you to move on, not move up and build the company.

Field Support Technician

Current Employee - Field Support Technician in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Field Support Technician in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Buchanan Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the end users and the group I worked with, client was great.

Cons

Overcoming the lack of pay for the amount of responsibility, work load and expectations. Lack of feedback from Buchanan, no raises for college degree, performance, work load being increases, or changes in duties. Only work here as last resort.

Take care of your techs like you take care of your call center reps. Techs are like the red headed step child of Buchanan.

Fantastic

I have been working at Buchanan Technologies

Pros

All in One Company. Communicates well with there employees

Cons

Needs more work in Oklahoma

Get field techs more involved with company things.

Warming family environment

I have been working at Buchanan Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They help you when you need it the most

Cons

Not enough training on the helpdesk

Good opportunity to grow

I worked at Buchanan Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Entry level call center positions provide training and certification assistance. Immediate salary increase when initial certification received. Great training and experience for resume.

Cons

No immediate opening for promotion. Left for new position but would not have had the opportunity without experience and certification gained at Buchanan.

Continue to grow in Managed Services to increase opportunities to promote from within.