Buck Consultants
www.buckconsultants.com New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Buck Consultants Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Buck Consultants – Atlanta – “Corporate 10k”

Buck Consultants President Fraser Smart

Fraser Smart

Pros:
  • "great staff, flexible work arrangements"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great flexablity, work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "The major downside is that the parent company does not want to run Buck as an HR consultancy"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Information from senior management is cryptic and sometimes contradictory to their actions"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging work, great people!

ProsThe firm provides opportunities to learn and grow at every level. I enjoy working in such a collegial environment with smart, friendly, cooperative people.

ConsBuck hasn't been privately owned since 1997, but the last couple sets of owners have put enormous cost pressure on the business. They say they care about their employees, but they will have to put their money where their mouth is or no one will ever believe them. I am very encouraged by Buck's new president, Fraser Smart. He really cares about our people and, I believe, will fight very hard for us.

Advice to Senior ManagementFraser Smart has such great enthusiasm and a positive outlook for Buck. The rest of the leadership team should take a lesson and become better cheerleaders for the business.

Great People.

ProsThe best thing about Buck is the people. Team oriented.

ConsPay and benefits could be better.

Like a Family

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about Buck is its people. It is a strong, supportive environment that provides you the flexibility to grow professionally and personally.

ConsLike others before have stated, the pay and benefits are not comparable to the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeveloping the talent you have and promoting from within will create a more loyal workforce.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice workplace

Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    Southfield, MI

ProsGood training, dedicated teaching from senior associate. Managers taking care of the development of the employees and new entry.

ConsNothing much. It's good overall.

An excellent learning opportunity where I was exposed to numerous actuarial concepts.

Senior Actuarial Associate (Former Employee)
    Secaucus, NJ

ProsA company with mentors that can help one grow in his or her track. The actuarial study program provided ample support for those writing exams. The annual performance reviews were fair and objective. As Tyco ltd. was a conglomerate client I worked on for several years, I was exposed to lots of actuarial concepts when working on mergers and acquisition and spinoffs projects.

ConsI resigned to be with family in a small town in Upstate New York. I was very content working at Buck Consultants. I would love to return and work for Buck Consultants now in the San Francisco/Bay Area where I am residing now. No Cons for me personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider re-hiring me :)

Buck is great, Xerox is not

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

Pros- competitive benefits and compensation
    - lots of talented people to work with / learn from
    - entrepreneurial organization lets you make a name for your self

Cons- ownership by Xerox is damaging the business model and hindering business
    - poor leadership
    - top heavy organization
    - low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more entry level employees to get workloads more efficient.

Too much uncertainty and too little reward.

Consultant, Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe environment is casual and informal - almost family like. I learned a great deal while at the organization and managed to redefine myself more than once.

ConsThe stress level is high because of the uncertainty of Buck's future. They are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Xerox (formerly Affiliated Computer Services / ACS division) and that side of the business doesn't quite understand the culture of a consulting firm. Cheap doesn't begin to describe the management. There were virtually no raises during the past five years, adding to the overall level of stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more nimble. There's a fine line between incubating ideas and bringing products or services to market -- It takes them too long, IF it ever happens.

Excellent working atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work family life balance

ConsExecutive level management can be shortsihted

Good work life balance, collaborative culture, limited growth opportunities

ProsIt feels like a family, everyone is friendly and approachable. Hours are flexible, generous vacation days.

ConsLimited growth opportunities. Has been acquired too many times in the last few years, now under tight cost control from the acquiring parent, which makes it hard to grow business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open, engage talents more and loosen cost control measures that could impact business development opportunities.

Best of two worlds: Entrepreneurial environment with supportive colleagues

Principal (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI enjoy the entrepreneurial spirit of this organization and the lack of bureaucracy. The emphasis is on clients and providing excellent client service. Great collegial environment supports bringing the best ideas and people to solve client problems. Very flexible about working arrangements.

ConsSometimes the lack of structure can be frustrating although most of the time I consider it a positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the focus on clients even while reorganizing internally.

Worked for Buck Consultants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Buck Consultants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Buck Consultants CEO Fraser Smart. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Buck Consultants employees.