Buck Consultants

Updated January 22, 2015
3.1

Buck Consultants President Fraser Smart
Fraser Smart

Pros
  • great staff, flexible work arrangements (in 6 reviews)

• Great flexablity, work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The major downside is that the parent company does not want to run Buck as an HR consultancy (in 6 reviews)

• Pay and benefits could be better (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Getting there but still a ways to go

Current Employee - Principal in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

high freedom to act; on the upswing, willingness to push thought leadership agenda

Cons

struggling with Buck's parents; inability to make a sufficient commitment to investing in new businesses

more aggressively grow the business, via strategic acquisition both because it will give us more strength as players in the Xerox portfolio of businesses, and also because parts of Buck are likely the seeds of important connectors between the legacy xerox business and the services

Good

I have been working at Buck Consultants full-time

Pros

Family-friendly environment where the employees care about one-another.

Cons

Difficult to advance without exams

Better advancements from within Buck as opposed to needing to leave and come back to Buck for appreciation.

Lots of flexibility in terms of providing employees the work life balance they need

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Team culture is quite strong, options to work remotely if preferred. People are recognized for their hard work and promoted quickly as they are ready to move to the next level. Managers are great and provide learning opportunities to junior folks where possible.

Cons

Pay and benefits less than desirable. Compared to industry, salary is lower at Buck. Bonuses are paid once a year and in recent years, bonuses have been pretty bad. Dynamic with parent company is challenging but has improved over the years.

Alot of people are leaving the company because of being underpaid. There should be a periodic review of employee compensation by level/function to determine what the right level of pay should be.

Decent Hours, nice people, awful raises

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Buck Consultants

Pros

My coworkers were friendly. Feedback was relatively encouraged. I rarely had to work past 6 or 7. My boss was great and I learned useful skills

Cons

Though my starting salary was decent, raises were abysmal. The only way to get a decent a raise at Buck is to get a counter offer and even then it's tricky. Buck has struggled in recent years. It's a declining company in a declining industry (defined benefits). My bonus for outperformance was 5% of salary, not much incentive.

If you would like to retain talented individuals invest in them a bit more. The work life balance is nice but those who work hard for the company and outperform need to be given bigger raises and bonuses or else it doesn't seem worth it

Good place for mid-career consultants

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Lots of flexibility
    Creative opportunities for commuicators

Cons

Lack of leadership support
    Not a lot of cohesion among lines of business

A place where management wants everyone to succeed but lack the ability to reward those who give 150%

Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Benefits seem to be better than most other companies.

Cons

There is always an excuse not to pay salary increases or bonus. Despite attaining double digit improvement over a prior year, an individual and a group is judged by the company's overall performance.

Fix the reward system. Stop making profitable groups suffer because of groups who are either loosing business or not growing. Recognize that certain groups cannot grow without FIRST hiring new talent to train and prepare them for the new business.

Great Flexible Working Environment but that's about it - Going downhill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Good benefits, very flexible working arrangement with the possibility of telecommuting. The environment is still not one of a big corporation, but rather a relaxed environment which reduces the level of stress one can encounter in Corporate America

Cons

Buck Consultants used to be the envy of the industry in terms of its client base, its reputation and its people. That was when Buck was a privately own company. then Mellon Financial Corporation acquired the firm and that's when it began to go downhill. We now had to report to a publicly traded company with all of the cost-cutting measures that come with it. Pay Increases and bonuses became smaller and less impacted by personal performance. Then, Mellon sold the firm to ACS (Affiliated Computer Services) and that's when we started to really go down. Lack of direction, poor management communication and OFF-SHORE, OFF-SHORE, OFF-SHORE, Hiring Freezes, bonus freeze, Furlows, no merit increases and no more distinction between high and low performers. ACS sets impossible financial expectation for the firm which is a way to cut merit increases and bonuses. Finally, the company is now owned by XEROX which means that Buck Consultants's Parent Company (ACS) has also a parent company. A real nightmare...

Sell the company to an HR consulting firm or to a private equity firm. No more parent companies that do not understand our business and set higher expectation each year so that we can never meet them. Something must be done before it's too late.

Great people, very collaborative environment

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Consultants nationwide share information and best practices. The people are great.

Cons

Parent company (ACS) is very bureaucratic and their employees don't work well with Buck employees because of extreme cultural differences.

Work on improving work relations between Buck and ACS employees by promoting a unified culture.

Good place to work with limit upward movement

Current Employee - Global Research Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Global Research Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Good work-life balance, collegial environment, flexible, teams are small and you get the opportunity to explore different practices if you want to.

Cons

Limited promotion and recognition in different practices, and the salaries are lower than industry average, management can be bureaucratic making it hard to be noticed.

Management should focus more on their employees instead of trying to cut the bottom lines. The employee morale at Buck can differently be increased.

Good people with integrity

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Buck Consultants

Pros

Buck provides innovative ideas; people are trust-worthy and loyal; long standing history as a leader in actuarial work; consultants share ideas

Cons

Offices seem top heavy; not much career development by upper management; occasional lack of communication; multiple ownership & leadership changes have caused some lack of direction

Buck Consultants Photos