Bucknell University Reviews

Bucknell University President John C. Bravman
John C. Bravman

1. Writing Tutor

I worked at Bucknell University

Pros

Flexible scheduling, part-time work, students coming in to the Writing Center are dedicated and positive

Cons

Your busiest times of the semester coincide with the students coming to your tutoring hours. Time management is key.

2. Great small community with Central PA challenges

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Residential Education in Lewisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Residential Education in Lewisburg, PA

I have been working at Bucknell University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong academic reputation, fiscally secure, high level of employee satisfaction

Cons

Low level of diversity, considered an elite/elitist institution, small downtown area

Advice to Management

Focus on communicating the standard of our services to other states and on the retention of good employees who add to the diversity of thought and experience at Bucknell.

3. Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - French Teaching Assistant in Downingtown, PA
    Former Employee - French Teaching Assistant in Downingtown, PA

I worked at Bucknell University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great access to Professors -Adequate Resources -Great opportunity to gain teaching experience -A great way to give back knowledge you've gained

Cons

-Do not be a TA unless you have adequate time in your schedule, large commitment -Sometimes students can be difficult and unwilling to learn/participate -Time Management is key -Sometimes Professor can be particular or demanding in instruction style/content

Advice to Management

Place course credit on hours as a Teaching Assistant

5. bucknell student job

I worked at Bucknell University

Pros

great culture and lots of good people who work there, everyone truely cares about the work that they are doing and there are many passionate people

Cons

sometimes the students at bucknell can be difficult to deal with. the university is run well but there are times when problems are not properly addressed

Advice to Management

Bucknell is a great institution being run very well. there are many changes occurring on campus all of which I think are in the best interest of the institution

6. Intern Review

I worked at Bucknell University

Pros

Bucknell is a great place to work. They really care about their students and professors.

Cons

I have no cons for this employer.

7. Comprehensive learning experience in the world of student affairs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Bucknell University (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, dedicated faculty and staff, and unique student populations made my internships here a worthwhile experience.

Cons

As with most small, private, elite universities the campus culture focuses on maintaining it's conservative, traditional identity which presents some serious challenges for student affairs practitioners.

8. Great employer, could use some organization

Former Employee - Greeter in Lewisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Greeter in Lewisburg, PA

I worked at Bucknell University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone in the office of admissions is very nice. I look forward to going to work each day. As a student, the full time staff are very supportive and appreciative of the work we do.

Cons

Often get conflicting assignments/advice from counselors. Very little notice about meetings. Not very much transparency about the process, just the information they want us to tell perspective students which sometimes makes our answers seem fake.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Don't take the dirty work we do for granted. Communicate more effectively with earlier notice about emails and what is going on in the office.

9. Great place to work!

I have been working at Bucknell University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great location to raise a family

Cons

Since I work with students I tend to be "on" all the time.

10. Summer Research Assistant

I worked at Bucknell University

Pros

Great atmosphere, and laid back assignments.

Cons

Not much to do in the town.

11. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lewisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Lewisburg, PA

I worked at Bucknell University

Pros

It obviously depends on who you work for, but for the most part the University is clearly devoted to student learning. This can be good and bad. From the student perspective, it is good because professors have patience and are willing to teach and train you, making it easier to find a job after graduation, though at the cost of pumping out publications like at other major institutions.

Cons

Professors value their research just as much as the lectures they teach and the students they teach to. Again, this can be seen as a pro or a con depending on your goals. There are a handful of students whose names end up on publications, but it is by no means a guarantee. Also, most research positions are not paid like at other institutions - though the hands on experience more than makes up for that.

RSS Feed </> Embed