Buffalo Exchange

Buffalo Exchange Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Kerstin Block

Informative but stressful

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou learn A LOT about fashion, everything from current trends to designers to construction.
Better pay than most retail.
First dibs on great clothing?

ConsExtremely stressful!
Customers can get very difficult when you don't buy in their items.
Hours basically take your whole day not much time for anything other than buffalo.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management, treat your employees better. You don't understand the amount of stress a day at buffalo can put on an employee.

at a cost

Independent Buyer (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfun young people, style on the cheap, community involvment

Consspend your paycheck, touch dirty clothes all day, on feet all day

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive feed back encourages your employees to work steady. Dont show favortism. Help on the floor when needed.

Dynamic, fun, great learning experience, lacking some necessary structure

Buyer Expert (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange full-time for more than a year

ProsBuffalo Exchange attracts a wide variety of employees and customers. The company believes in having fun at work and keeping things new & interesting. There is definite room for growth for those who showcase capability and desire to move up. Depending on the locations management, this can be really easy and quick, or a slow process. Either way, it offers GREAT benefits i.e. PTO, health/dental/vision coverage, and bonuses.

Employees are encouraged to express themselves and bring their unique interests and talents to the table - unlike other businesses that force you to fit their mold.

There is no uniform - as long as you're not dressed inappropriately, your style is welcome at BE.

Locations have room to express and create their own identity based on the customer of the particular area and what the staff hopes to communicate and promote within their area.

ConsCustomer service is a cornerstone for this job, as is obvious with most retail positions. The difference between customer service and Buffalo Exchange and other retailers, is that there is the buying aspect involved in-store. There will definitely be those sellers who need a quick buck, and are likely going to be very grizzly toward the buyer because of it. Employees grow a thick skin to this pretty quickly.

The company is technically a corporation, but it started as a small business and is largely still run like one, though it has over 45 locations countrywide. This is a drawback when it comes to smooth running policies and communications between management and employees.

My wardrobe has never been better.

Buyer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange part-time for less than a year

ProsVery relaxed environment. They do a great job of educating entry level buyers with lots of information about fashion trends,designer clothes, and fabric in general. They provide health insurance to full time employees.

ConsVery inflexible scheduling. Employees aren't given enough of a discount. Entry level buyers are subject to humiliation by co-workers or lower management when they make mistakes. Mistakes are a part of the process, and should be treated as learning opportunities.

Waste of Valuable Time

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange

ProsThe president and owner of the company, the discount in clothing, my co-workers, and the music! Overall I believe this company once had a great backbone about 20 years ago, but with the fast paced world around us and the company trying to grow without letting the core people who make it, help; the voice has been lost.

ConsYou cannot voice your opinion, thoughts or ideas about progression and growth of your job and the company as a whole. Even if you really want to help the company and have great ideas, you will never be heard. If you try, you are shut down and told "that will never happen". Although they make it seem like they value you, they definitely don't. The managers and higher ups have complete control of what they want and nothing else matters. Your constantly being watched and talked about behind your back, waiting to be "let go" while they compile meaningless paperwork to give them a reason to do so. They never tell you exactly what you can do to improve or when you say or do the wrong thing, instead they write it in a secret book and wait to tell you 6 months later when they've built up a case against you to fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of butt and listen to the people that keep your organized and making money. Stop gossiping and listen. Stop writing points and communications on paper. Learn how to have a human conversation.

Blah

Associate Manager (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat clothes! cool staff, cool customers

Constakes over your life! Upper Management Sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting based off of favoritism! Actuallu pick people who know how to do their job.

Promising at first

Buyer (Former Employee)
Pacific Beach, CA

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time

ProsFirst pick of new clothes

The Customers were pretty chill

Great start to better your knowledge in Fashion

Giving quit alot of responsibilities

No Dress Quit

Company is pretty decent

Above minimum wage

Cool sellers

ConsThe Point System, it's what cost me my job to be honest

Lack of Management

Bosses pick there favorites

No Direction with Management

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your new employees better, when there's a problem address with the employee directly instead of gossiping around.

So/So Retail Gig

Cashier (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time for less than a year

ProsCoworkers were fun to be around, and made the tedious work more bearable. We specifically bonded while complaining about the management & its lack of enthusiasm & communication. This particular store was waaayyy different than Buffalo's overall company attitude, and I've heard that Kerstin Block is very nice. I wish I could've worked at a different location.

ConsManagers at the East Village store were very power hungry, could be offensive (racist), and were quite selfish.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who genuinely care about their employees' well-being, and not those who care more about snagging an Alexander Wang bag before customers even have the chance to look at it.

Full Time Buyer

Buyer (Former Employee)
Orange, CA

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat items that come in daily, will turn you into a shopping addict
make great friends, depending highly on who you work with, advance knowledge in retail buying, construction, fabric, etc

Conslong hours and usually overtime, not a lot of internal growth, favoritism, high turnover rate with employees

Advice to Senior Managementselect management teams more efficiently, hire people who actually like retail and customer service

Work/Life balance is non-existent and a completely chaotic work environment

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat clothing, fun co-workers, never a dull moment, cool CEO, the company is really good at pretending to care for its employees, if you are interested in making Buffalo Exchange your entire life you can move up relatively quickly.

ConsEvery single person who works for this company is overworked and underpaid (Except maybe upper- upper management). I worked at three different locations and all were completely chaotic because management could not live up to the incredibly high expectations/overwhelming workload. Unless you want to live and breathe Buffalo Exchange I would not recommend working here. As an Associate Manager I did not enjoy constantly having to write up and give negative feedback to incredibly overworked and underpaid buyers. If you are going to pay someone only 10 dollars an hour you can't expect them to hand their soul over to your company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe amount of commitment you expect requires a higher wage.

Worked for Buffalo Exchange? Contribute to the Community!

Buffalo Exchange Videos

Buffalo Exchange – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for fashion loving employees. Applicants should be excited, inspired, motivated, and should show a sincere love of fashion and clothing of all kinds. We have fun and work hard. Our employees work in a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Buffalo Exchange reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Buffalo Exchange CEO Kerstin Block . All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Buffalo Exchange employees.