Buffalo Exchange

Buffalo Exchange Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Kerstin Block

Worked for Buffalo Exchange in the 80's

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

ProsI was a Store Manager for Buffalo Exchange in Tucson and Berkeley in the mid-80's. I LOVED working there and had it not been for the incredible education and experience that I received from managing a store, I would not have gone back to school to earn a master's in accounting.

ConsLong hours and not very good pay at the time....but I was young and knew I would have to put in the time to eventually gain enough experience to take my career further.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you have been doing for the last 40 years because Buffalo Exchange is awesome! I now have a 20 year old in SF who shops there all the time!

Old-fashioned, family-owned, women-run. Company (note: not "corporate") culture fit is a HUGE deal.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's very satisfying to be a part of a company that is SO involved in local community, philanthropy, and art/culture. If you can find a niche, there's a good chance you can make a career at Buffalo (particularly if you're female). Great benefits for PT and FT employees, competitive pay, and an active effort to encourage healthy living.

ConsHiring definitely leans towards the female gender which could be a natural part of working in the fashion retail category or a little bit of gender discrimination or both. There is a strong push to "get" the company, which is not necessarily easily learned.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the management really wanted to hear my advice, I think they'd have asked me for it.

Good perks cool clothes but high school environment

Independent Buyer (Current Employee)

ProsGood amount of discount, some of the great interactions with regulars, seeing unique amazing pieces day to day & the options of insurance

ConsFeeling underpaid for the amount of work I do, "open-door policy" not really effective. Management favors certain people tend to overlook the ones working the hardest and been there the longest. Almost everyone spends their spare time gossiping and trying to drag you down. Managers will pull you into the office alone over "hear say".

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to take notice and appreciate your hardest workers, our turnover rate is high for that reason alone. Inner work complaints should be tackled with a better approach. Possibly not putting a limit on our discount. Don't drag out giving an employee a raise just because it may or may not fall before their yearly eval.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience.

Buyer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMet great people and learned a lot about being a buyer. Made great opportunities from working here.

ConsManagement, compensation, work-life balance, clothing selection.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect employees that work beneath you.

Associate managers get the short end of the stick

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits: insurance, profit-based bonuses, 401k, employee discount, the longer you work there the faster you accrue PTO. Lots of training is provided and there is opportunity for growth for people who can plaster a smile on their face 24/7. Very clear cut expectations and policies, open book management and many employees get engaged in understanding business financials and how they can contribute and benefit.

ConsHard work life balance as an associate manager, with how often managers are shifted from store to store you can easily get stuck having weekdays as your days off for years on end, despite there being a supposed system to rotate days off every 6 months. Some store managers don't step up and do the work that sometimes should be expected of a salaried employee. Associate managers are hourly and the company is crazy about no one getting overtime, but it isn't for the sake of not overworking people. Sometimes you're forced to clock out for 3 hours in the middle of the day and then continue your work day, so get paid for 8 hours but really be consumed by work for 11. Gray area of expectations of managers being friends with employees, and most employees and many managers just concerned with partying together and forming cliques.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time for associate managers, they're the ones to fill the positions when store managers leave or new stores open. Give them more opportunities like EAC and the meetings that store managers get to go to, make them feel more appreciated.

Make this temporary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

Proscool environment, allowed to express yourself via tattoos, piercings, hair color, etc. Some of the people you work with are really fun. Great music playing. You're able to grab things before they even hit the floor. All of my experiences with people high up on the food chain were really great. The company itself is excellent, gives you a lot of incentive to do well and gives back to the community on a regular basis.

ConsThe managers have literally no idea what they're doing, there's a lot of favoritism going on and it feels like you're back in high school with how clique-y everything can be. If you're not a buyer, do not expect to be treated as an equal to everyone else. People will constantly tell you to do a better job. Pay isn't great if you're not a buyer, the hours and inconsistency can really suck, and my store specifically was not great about requesting days off. I got promised a promotion a hundred times and never got one. If you're a floor assistant, prepare to spend 8 hours a day in the fitting room.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the managers to step up and do what they're supposed to be doing-- I should be able to ask any of my five managers the same question and get the same answer, not some convoluted, inconsistent crap. It's really discouraging to watch people who aren't doing their jobs well make a ton more money than you.

Do Not Work For Buffalo Exchange

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGood for a recent high school grad
    You can find great clothes before they go out on the racks

ConsBad health insurance plan
    Low wage
    Not allowed to switch shifts, ever
    Point systems based on attendance and cash register errors
    Customers are often rude, pushy, entitled, etc.
    Managers are encouraged to delegate rather than actually help out
    Limit on how much you can use your store discount per month

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want someone to be a key holder, give them a raise

Family company becoming more and more Corporate.

Independent Buyer (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsGetting first dibs on Clothing. Making great friendships with fellow employees and die-hard customers. Monthly bonuses if you work at the higher-volume stores.

ConsDifficult to have a life outside of the store - they ask every thing of you - even at low paying positions. Low pay especially when other local buy/sell/trades pay much more in the area. Favoritism rewards new positions instead of hard-work. If you don't always have a big personality you will be talked to constantly about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your management if you notice a high volume of turnover of long-term employees there may be something to it.

Informative but stressful

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou learn A LOT about fashion, everything from current trends to designers to construction.
    Better pay than most retail.
    First dibs on great clothing?

ConsExtremely stressful!
    Customers can get very difficult when you don't buy in their items.
    Hours basically take your whole day not much time for anything other than buffalo.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management, treat your employees better. You don't understand the amount of stress a day at buffalo can put on an employee.

Chaotic Management

Buyer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe pros are that you are very involved with what the inventory of your store looks like. There is a good discount on clothes and you get a lot of deals just by working there.

ConsMany of the managers here should NOT be managing any kind of store. There is no communication whatsoever. One of my managers even told employees and customers that she had a mental disorder and was not taking her medication. They do not train properly or completely. They will tell you they are going to begin training on a certain day then forget about it until months later. Terrible work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized, get your life together, and be able to communicate or else JUST QUIT and save all your employees the trouble and stress.

Worked for Buffalo Exchange? Contribute to the Community!

Buffalo Exchange Videos

Buffalo Exchange – Why Work for Us?

We're looking for fashion loving employees. Applicants should be excited, inspired, motivated, and should show a sincere love of fashion and clothing of all kinds. We have fun and work hard. Our employees work in a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Buffalo Exchange reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Buffalo Exchange CEO Kerstin Block . All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Buffalo Exchange employees.