Buffalo Exchange

Updated January 14, 2015
3.3

Kerstin Block

1. Featured Review

skills to last a life time

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Versatile and intuitive training programs, both in design and execution. The training programs are tested and proven and carefully monitored by store management who receive their cues from truly gifted and dedicated corporate officers.

Cons

The work life balance as a manager can be some times tedious. Tedious in the sense that the store requires a lot of your energy even outside of work. It truly has to be a passion to enjoy clothing. This is one of the few cons in regards to employment at buffalo exchange.

Shine on you crazy diamond. I will never forget the skills and relationships i garnered working for this company. The lessons i learned while employed stay with me and I have found them most valuable every day since my departure.

Always conflicting feedback

I worked at Buffalo Exchange

Pros

Frequent company meetings around the country where there's trainings and you meet and can converse with the CEO.

Cons

A lot of conflicting and mixed messages from management. You don't receive negative feedback until it's being documented, positive feedback is never documented. There's a sense of favoritism at times as well.

Corporate and Upper Management stressed providing "immediate feedback" to staff but never provided it to lower management which was annoying and confusing.

Great company for people who love fashion and customer service

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Buffalo Exchange was not like any other job I have ever had for both good and bad reasons. If management likes you (which as long as you're a hard worker and friendly, they will), you will be given many opportunities. If you have a true passion for fashion and customer service you can move up very quickly in this company. Management is happy to give those who have earned it more opportunities for responsibility. They have an annual event where they send one FT employee from each store to Arizona (all expenses paid with compensation!) to train and have a great time.
    This company truly cares about their customers. There is an exception to every rule, and every employee is expected to give their customers a great experience. Which in turn makes almost every angry customer experience resolve easily. And if a customer is unruly or harassing, management has no problem sticking up for their employees and banning said unruly customer.
    Employees are treated with holiday parties, contests between other BE stores, spot rewards (like candy or gift cards), one year anniversaries and so on.

Cons

I have noticed that more often than not management picks favorites and will create opportunities for them. I have been on both sides of this with different management teams and know the process too well. While I agree with awarding hard work, favoritism is blatantly obvious to other employees and can be very discouraging. Though I have met a lot of amazing people because of BE I have also met some of the most fake people that are alive today. Some people here you can not trust because if you speak poorly of this company it is guaranteed to get back to management. There is never a time you do not have managements eyes on you waiting for you to make a mistake.
    This company loves everything they do and they want their employees to enjoy themselves too, however, they expect you to live and breathe everything BE. I was expected to visit the mall at least 2 times a month but preferably much more. We were assigned monthly projects on trending styles, we were expected to talk to every customer, we wrote trend reports, etc. If sunshine doesn't come out of your butt than you are not doing your job and you will be reprimanded immediately. It may not sound like much but store management and especially regional management is very pushy when it comes to "being a buffalo". For a college student who is just trying to pay her way through school, I could not care less about this kind of stuff.
    Management can be very inflexible with scheduling. All employees must work at least on weekend day but most employees work all weekend. Hours vary from store to store but usually there are not "shifts". If you start the day, you end the day. If you come in at 1030 AM you will probably leave at the same time as the person that came in at 2PM. Unless, of course, you are approaching over time. In that case you might leave an hour before everyone else.

Work harder to curb favoritism in store management.

Great Time

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Buffalo Exchange

Pros

Hours where great. I was part time but they would always ask if I wanted more. Calm and fun work surrounding.

Cons

They had an issues taking people's request off into consideration and didn't like people switching. They want buyers to do project on there own time.

Don't ask people to do things on their own time.

Extremely Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have held many positions within Buffalo Exchange and each one of them challenged me in different ways. The store positions were the toughest jobs I’d ever had, but I learned a ton about business in general and a lot about myself. The challenges that you face at Buffalo Exchange help you grow and become a more confident person. Buffalo Exchange has been an extremely rewarding place to work.

Cons

If you are not capable of taking responsibility for your actions or willing to grow as a person then Buffalo Exchange might not be the right fit for you.

A whirlwind experience

Former Employee - Buyer in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Buffalo Exchange part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health benefits and 401K plan even for part time employees after 6 mos of employment, first dibs on merchandise purchased, easy to transfer between stores.

Cons

Drama between coworkers, upper mgmt, limited room for growth, favoritism, rude customers

Opportunity for Ambition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They like to "grow their own." Most of the heads of departments and top managers were fostered within the company. They have a straight forward path on how to be promoted and move up. They're open book, so you know exactly how your contributing to the company. The owners are also down to earth and extremely involved.

Cons

It's a lot of work and not easy for those looking for a lax retail job. It's like going to fashion college and can be difficult to be both a student and employee. If customer service is not your thing, this is definitely not the job for you. You must quickly learn how to kindly engage with customer who are attached to their clothing.

Increase merit and recognition jobs done well. put seniority aside and hear out new ideas.

Rewarding and challenging

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are recognized for quality work. Promotions are available if you have initiative and work hard. You can really get promoted fast if you are good at buying. Work is usually fun! Pay is good. Benefits are good and available to part timers. Great if you love clothes.

Cons

Customers can be difficult. Turnover is high depending on what store you work at. Pay is good but could be better.

Focus on the stores you have and less on growing. Hire cleaning staff.

best company i ever worked for

I have been working at Buffalo Exchange

Pros

safe environment to grow and build on skills
    great treatment of community and staff
    loads of time off
    rewards for working great
    unique and kinda co workers/ customers
    wonderful training

Cons

crazy busy, always multi-tasking
    always understaffed
    rude customers who get way too angry at little things

take the time to acknowledge your workers hard effort, it really makes a difference to them

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Buffalo Exchange full-time

Pros

You learn a lot and you get to spend your days with some really hard working people. It is so exciting because you never know what you will find at Buffalo. You also get a decent discount. It's hard work but if you are willing to put forth the effort it can be just as rewarding. I think this is a great company to work for. They offer benefits and I feel like they take care of their employees. They care a lot about the environment and I always thought that was really cool. I don't regret my time at Buffalo Exchange because I met some amazing people there but I do hate what this particular store has become.

Cons

The management needs some serious work.

Less childish behavior and favoritism and more teaching, respect, and leadership. Stop bullying and criticizing your employees and try listening to them when they come to you for help with their problems and concerns. Maybe people would stop quitting every week if you changed your attitudes.