Buffalo Lodging Associates Reviews

Ronald R Kendall

1. Best Hotel Management Company in Western New York - Recommended

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is always an opportunity to succeed in your position if you are passionate and genuinely love the field of hospitality. I enjoyed my time with the company; the benefits and pay were fair and for the most part, employee's wanted to be there and partake in the company culture. I took pride in BLA having the best product / were able to invest in each property as needed.

Cons

Of course there are negatives in every job; most being personal preferences to each own. I guess I would say the preaching of personal empowerment, but not supporting it to its fullest is one. HR should be more involved with middle management on property level training and employee development. The annual, mid or 90 day review process is flawed; I know because it wasn't taken seriously by most; meaning management and upper management.

Continue to invest in each property and its employee's. Instead of doing a semi/annual accounting audit; do a more thorough operational audit that focus's in more detail on each department and employees. Hire one more employee in the "tax/accounting" department. Bring back a MOD program; would probably resonate with line employees. And sorry, I'm not filling out a paper Exit Interview Questionnaire; it seems tacky - If you wanted to know anything about my employment over a course of 10+ years someone from HR or management could have and still can; have asked me in person.

Nov 4, 2014president

I appreciate you feed back and would very much like to have someone from HR spend some time with you to get further input. Since these are, of course, anonymous comments, it is difficult for me to ... More

One of the worst companies to work for. They do not value their employees.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good discount at Delta Sonic for washes and interior clean
    - Internal wage employees get a long quite well

Cons

- Other than the housekeeping manager, other management will never be seen during the weekends
    - Management will never come in after they have left and will ignore calls on company phone
    - It will take years for you to advance into the next position. Can't guarantee it though.

Listen to your employees when something is going wrong. Do not leave in the middle of a situation in which a manager is needed. Do not let your lower level managers (F.O.S) tell your front desk staff that they are all going to be fired. Acknowledge that your staff needs days off to survive. Please stop kissing up to the CEO and tell him the truth of what's going on in the company and hotel itself.

Dec 9, 2014President

Good morning,
    I appreciate your taking the time to offer your feeback. I would welcome the opportunity to better understand what events led you to such disillusionment with the company should you
    ... More

3. Potential and Opportunities

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well Rounded Management Teams and Corporate Leaders. Ron personally greats employee's when he visits each hotel. Each of the different BLA hotels I have worked in has had multiple employees with 10+ years with the company. The longevity and stability of the company are important. As an employee you have the potential to make of it what you want. The company promotes from within - with hard work, and dedication you can move up from any position.

Cons

One of the difficulties are employees. A key culture for BLA is hiring the right person for the right position at the right time. I think sometimes managers do not follow this policy / do not let individuals go who do not contribute to the whole overall culture. This can lead to dissatisfaction for the whole team.

I truly appreciate that when a WOW moment is mentioned by a guest that our VP and CEO have personally thanked the iemployees involved. A written note or personal thanks really make an impact. Receiving such an acknowledgement is incentive to really search out the best ways to provide superior customer service again and again.

I also appreciate that all managers respond to feedback found online. ( Especially the negative reviews, including the ones on this site.) Too many people do not communicate their needs clearly and leave unhappy just to vent online. Managers have the difficult task of responding, most commonly about problems that could have been rectified had the subjecy been broached before they left.

Nov 4, 2014president

It always gratifying to hear that our team members are enjoying their work and find themselves in an environment that is welcoming and concerned. I must agree that, from time to time, we rush into ... More

5. Great turning to bad quickly

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company puts money into the hotels

Cons

Worst regional managers that cause great hoteliers to leave the company. Show favoritism, unethical and dishonest.

Admit that you have made mistakes and move on.

Oct 6, 2014President

Good morning. My apologies for such a slow response, but this is not a site that I have frequented in the past. Unfortunately, you have provided little information relating to your specific issue ... More

Awful - never again!

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Brockton, MA
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, including medical, dental, and employee discounts.

Cons

Management and HR have "clics." If you don't fit in - you won't be promoted. They treat minorities better than anyone.

Be fair, don't judge people based on sexual orientation, favoritism, nor skin color.

7. Hard work ignored. Human resources refused to deal with issues.

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates (more than 5 years)

Pros

At least it paid the bills. Customers appreciated your work.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. Poor compensation for responsibility level. Saw employees work off the clock just to keep their job. Endless scare tactics. HR did nothing to resolve issues much less keep things confidential. Customers were quite aware of the injustice. Some customers were so disgusted when valued employees were gone, they wouldn't come back to stay at the hotel.

HR needed to address issues instead of getting rid of employees with true concerns. Could of been a great place to work.

8. No One Is Truly Happy There

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great foundation in the Hotel Industry, pays well, technologically advanced, amazing resources, steady as a company, takes care of properties.

Cons

Scare tactics to motivate, dog eat dog mentality within company, blame shifting upper management which feeds into middle management.

There is potential for a great company but it is ruined by the overall mentality that feeds from the corporate office. It has a very "high school" feeling and if an employee is not part of the "in" crowd they fear for their job. Upper Management at corporate needs some turnover in order to bring in individuals who know how, and actually want, to help their employees grow.

9. Used to be great

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, takes care of the hotels

Cons

Senior management needs to take a step back into the hotels to anaylyze what is expected of the hotel management staff. They will find what looks good in theory doesnt work and isnt working in the field. Managers are dismissed as non compiant if they try to voice this.

Listen to these reviews, you could be a great company again. You have allowed yourselves to be too close minded and stale.

10. They reward your hard work, time, energy and years of service by firing you.

Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Ellenton, FL
    Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Ellenton, FL

I worked at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There really aren't any. The median pay is WAY lower than other hotel companies. The benefits are almost non-existant and there is very little in the way of recognition from both hotel level and upper management level.

Cons

Want a lunch break? Too bad. If you work in management or at the Front Desk you will almost never receive a lunch break. Want sick time? Too bad. You get 40 hours of PTO after one year with the company. This time is used for everything: sick days, vacation, etc. At the time I left the company they were considering the idea of sick time so this may have changed but I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't. Need to call in sick? Ha! I can't tell you how many times I worked sick because the schedules and staff are stretched so thin as to allow no room for devation from the printed schedule. Want to be promoted? Well you better be willing to perform the promotion position for your current salary and alongside your current responsibilities before they even CONSIDER giving it to you. And you had better be on the "good side" of upper management or you will get no where as they approve all promotions. How about recognition? Don't bother. Hotel managers are pressured (sometimes with their jobs on the line) on a daily basis to "bring up scores" which in turn makes the working atmosphere stressful and negative. Have a creative idea? They'll pat you on the back and then laugh about it amongst themselves.

I watched a valued employee fired without management even telling them. They were just taken off the schedule. I've seen hotel managers fill out online surveys to pad their scores. Even make reservations under their family's names in hopes of receiving surveys. Many of my General Managers made it a habit to talk about employees behind their back. Even the Human Resources department routinely repeats confidential information to persons involved in complaints/issues. At one point I sought out HR to ask advice about a possible sexual harrassment claim involving one of my employees and the HR manager went straight to the other person involved! I've never in my life heard of something like that. Couldn't believe it happened.

Learn to respect your employees. They have opinions and feelings and most of them work very hard for very little recognition/reward. Listen to them. Don't take everything GMs say as 100% truth just because you know them better. Turnover will continue to skyrocket until you realize that we deserve to be treated well and have our voices heard. Respect confidentiality. Allow people to make mistakes and to learn and grow with the company.

11. Awful Company

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent & Sales Coordinator
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent & Sales Coordinator

I have been working at Buffalo Lodging Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for BLA to be honest. If you are a full time employee, you get regular benefits after working for BLA for 90 days, such as health insurance and holiday pay. However, you can get those benefits at many other places of employment as well. After working with BLA for a year, you will receive one week vacation and can enroll in the 401K plan if you are eligible (age requirements, etc).

Cons

Everything. As another reviewer pointed out, upon your initial interview you will be told that there is plenty of room for growth with the company and that they love to hire from within. Don't be fooled. Although there are ALWAYS jobs opening up because the turnover rate is so high, they very rarely promote from within -- even when the current employees are more than qualified. Management is a joke. They are constantly passing off tasks to hourly associates just because they don't feel like doing it themselves. BLA hires unfit managers (some with NO degree, not even a high school diploma) and then fail to do anything about it when associates bring the lack of management skills to their attention. HR does nothing to try to rectify situations and will leave employees feeling helpless.

Listen to your employees. They see what goes on at the properties on a day to day basis and their concerns and advice should be taken seriously. When you have hourly employees who care more about the property than property management does, there's a problem and it should be addressed.