Buffalo Lodging Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ronald R Kendall

Used to be great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits, takes care of the hotels

ConsSenior management needs to take a step back into the hotels to anaylyze what is expected of the hotel management staff. They will find what looks good in theory doesnt work and isnt working in the field. Managers are dismissed as non compiant if they try to voice this.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to these reviews, you could be a great company again. You have allowed yourselves to be too close minded and stale.

Hard work ignored. Human resources refused to deal with issues.

(Former Employee)

ProsAt least it paid the bills. Customers appreciated your work.

ConsNo opportunity for advancement. Poor compensation for responsibility level. Saw employees work off the clock just to keep their job. Endless scare tactics. HR did nothing to resolve issues much less keep things confidential. Customers were quite aware of the injustice. Some customers were so disgusted when valued employees were gone, they wouldn't come back to stay at the hotel.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needed to address issues instead of getting rid of employees with true concerns. Could of been a great place to work.

No One Is Truly Happy There

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsGreat foundation in the Hotel Industry, pays well, technologically advanced, amazing resources, steady as a company, takes care of properties.

ConsScare tactics to motivate, dog eat dog mentality within company, blame shifting upper management which feeds into middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is potential for a great company but it is ruined by the overall mentality that feeds from the corporate office. It has a very "high school" feeling and if an employee is not part of the "in" crowd they fear for their job. Upper Management at corporate needs some turnover in order to bring in individuals who know how, and actually want, to help their employees grow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They reward your hard work, time, energy and years of service by firing you.

Front Office Manager (Former Employee) Ellenton, FL

ProsThere really aren't any. The median pay is WAY lower than other hotel companies. The benefits are almost non-existant and there is very little in the way of recognition from both hotel level and upper management level.

ConsWant a lunch break? Too bad. If you work in management or at the Front Desk you will almost never receive a lunch break. Want sick time? Too bad. You get 40 hours of PTO after one year with the company. This time is used for everything: sick days, vacation, etc. At the time I left the company they were considering the idea of sick time so this may have changed but I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't. Need to call in sick? Ha! I can't tell you how many times I worked sick because the schedules and staff are stretched so thin as to allow no room for devation from the printed schedule. Want to be promoted? Well you better be willing to perform the promotion position for your current salary and alongside your current responsibilities before they even CONSIDER giving it to you. And you had better be on the "good side" of upper management or you will get no where as they approve all promotions. How about recognition? Don't bother. Hotel managers are pressured (sometimes with their jobs on the line) on a daily basis to "bring up scores" which in turn makes the working atmosphere stressful and negative. Have a creative idea? They'll pat you on the back and then laugh about it amongst themselves.

I watched a valued employee fired without management even telling them. They were just taken off the schedule. I've seen hotel managers fill out online surveys to pad their scores. Even make reservations under their family's names in hopes of receiving surveys. Many of my General Managers made it a habit to talk about employees behind their back. Even the Human Resources department routinely repeats confidential information to persons involved in complaints/issues. At one point I sought out HR to ask advice about a possible sexual harrassment claim involving one of my employees and the HR manager went straight to the other person involved! I've never in my life heard of something like that. Couldn't believe it happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees. They have opinions and feelings and most of them work very hard for very little recognition/reward. Listen to them. Don't take everything GMs say as 100% truth just because you know them better. Turnover will continue to skyrocket until you realize that we deserve to be treated well and have our voices heard. Respect confidentiality. Allow people to make mistakes and to learn and grow with the company.

Awful Company

Guest Service Agent & Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsThere are no pros to working for BLA to be honest. If you are a full time employee, you get regular benefits after working for BLA for 90 days, such as health insurance and holiday pay. However, you can get those benefits at many other places of employment as well. After working with BLA for a year, you will receive one week vacation and can enroll in the 401K plan if you are eligible (age requirements, etc).

ConsEverything. As another reviewer pointed out, upon your initial interview you will be told that there is plenty of room for growth with the company and that they love to hire from within. Don't be fooled. Although there are ALWAYS jobs opening up because the turnover rate is so high, they very rarely promote from within -- even when the current employees are more than qualified. Management is a joke. They are constantly passing off tasks to hourly associates just because they don't feel like doing it themselves. BLA hires unfit managers (some with NO degree, not even a high school diploma) and then fail to do anything about it when associates bring the lack of management skills to their attention. HR does nothing to try to rectify situations and will leave employees feeling helpless.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They see what goes on at the properties on a day to day basis and their concerns and advice should be taken seriously. When you have hourly employees who care more about the property than property management does, there's a problem and it should be addressed.

Mismanaged at every level; an incredibly frustrating experience.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)

ProsThere are no good reasons to work for this company, unless you are in desperate need of a job.

ConsThe pay is pretty terrible for the work that you do.

Management has an incredibly high turnover rate. They fire managers all the time. In the time I have worked for this company, I've had 7 different managers - A couple of them awesome, most of them terrible. Senior Management is useless; they don't listen to recommendations from employees and simply dismiss them as being wrong with no effort made to understand why the employee is upset.

The business is micromanaged at every level with no breathing room for the employee's to do their job.

When hired, they'll tell you that "we promote from within, and there are many opportunities for advancement!" This is rather misleading, while opportunities to move up in the company are available, they rarely actually hire from within; which makes existing employees who do want to advance very angry. Further, if they put you on an employee development plan; you'll find yourself doing lots of extra grunt work with no extra compensation. Management very much likes to give lower employees work to do because they don't want to do it.

Everything is constantly changing - Since management turnover is high, you'll find yourself playing by a completely different set of rules every few months. This is unfortunate because it kills any consistency that the brand you are working under may have.

Talk to any person not in management that works for Buffalo Lodging Associates / Benderson Development and they'll tell you flat out that this is a terrible company to work for - end of story.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop firing your good managers! Stop hiring terrible management. Listen to your employees! Pay your employees a fair wage. Make senior management retire; they've been out of the game too long to know whats really going on.

Treat your employees like people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay
    Hotel Level employees are very nice

ConsNever recognized for a good job
    Micro Managed every step of the way
    Hired to many people into upper management positions that do not know their jobs which offers no support to the property level
    Very High Turn Over through out company

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees breathing room to do their job

Get your heads out of the clouds and hire those with the knowledge necessary to do the job.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTime off when necessary.
    Money okay.
    Some managers are great to work with.
    Room to advance or relocate due to multiple properties.

ConsNarrow minded senior management who have been out of the trenches too long and are not abreast of the latest trends.
    If they don't understand something, they do not try to but rather dismiss it as being wrong.
    The loss of too many good managers due to senior management being unable and not qualified to assist those with experience.
    Far too many management terminations.
    Back stabbing VP's.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be some retiring at the top and bring in a qualified individual to realign and move out those that are in prominent positions due to favoritism and friendship.

Worked for Buffalo Lodging Associates? Contribute to the Community!