Buffalo Rock

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
2.8

Jimmy Lee III

Best work ethic I have ever gained

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Buffalo Rock part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was very happy to work for Buffalo Rock. The physical labor is exactly what I needed and was happy to get it here moving trucks, driving forklifts and gathering orders on pallets. Great work experience for a 21 year old kid with everything to learn.

Cons

There are no cons, because a good work ethic is priceless. The only thing I can say is that advancement here is based on superiority, not merit, not that that is a bad thing.

Unbelievable

I have been working at Buffalo Rock full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy dealing with the customers on a daily basis. Do get some holidays off to spend with family

Cons

management has no clue how to run company. Very little communication from management. Hard to make a living when you can't deliver what is sold because of constant out of stocks. Management is a good ol' boy network that takes care of one another. they do not address problems when they occur and sweep them under the rug. Place is a joke to work for.

Take a closer look at what is happening in each division and talk to individual employees without management around to find out what is happening. Employees will not speak in front of division management because of retaliation.

My experience at Buffalo Rock Distribution Center.

Current Employee - Local Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Local Driver in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Buffalo Rock full-time (less than a year)

Pros

All drop and hook work,all equipment is new Volvo 12 speed automatic tractors.Pay is decent for the work I do.I work night shift basically going to the same places every night to drop full, pickup empty.Pay depends on where you go,different routes have set pay,we only deliver to other Pepsi terminals,Sams Warehouse in south east,or pick up cans to bring back to DC.There are about 30 different places we go but I've only been to about 8(between 2 and 5 in one day).They won't just change things up on you everyday.So, you don't have to worry about getting lost or wondering where there going to send you each day.I can't speak for the day shift but at night it's laid back,no managers calling me,no loading or unloading issues because I drop my trailer at one facility pick up empty to bring back to DC and get another full and repeat.My full trailer is always ready I hook up and keep on truckin'.Again I work nights,I hear things are a little hectic on days,problems with loads being ready to go sometimes.You can't make any money sitting and waiting and then having to deal with traffic.New e-logs in tractors and I hear management watches carefully.I should disclose I'm working through temp service not permanent yet but I get full pay.I make $200 a night:$1000 a week:take home pay after taxes and insurance:$714.00.My benefits come from temp service so I can't speak about BRC benefits yet.I hope they have cheaper and better health insurance.I don't know how raises work just yet either.I get off Fri.mornings go back in Sun.nights. I get my paperwork find my trailer and I do my job no one ever bothers me.EVER!If your tired of working trucking jobs where you have to physically unload/load trailer,stay away from home,deal with old equipment or management breathing down your back I suggest you give Buffalo Rock a try.

Cons

Like I said I'm a temp but I've been working here for about 4 months and it's pretty laid back and predictable work.I don't deliver to actual convenient and grocery stores but I have done that kind of work before and I really don't like it.It's a lot of heavy lifting ,traffic,and navigating around costumers cars in small lots .I don't like collecting checks/money orders or arguing with store owners over damaged or wrong orders,stocking and rotating in cold freezers sucks for me.Buffalo Rock has drivers who do all those things ,God Bless em'.At the DC it's all drop and hook work and I really like it.Sometimes I have to get live loaded of cans but they are really quick about that (30 to 45 min)in Rome,GA or McCalla,AL and I head back to B'ham.There are other places but I have yet to be sent there.My only con is it's hard driving long distances at night and dealing with traffic in the morning,that's it.There are routes that pay more and some that pay less and I got lucky with a decent one that's not too far.The guys who go farther out only drop and hook once and they make good money.They can't do much because of the D.O.T. time clock.Some guys stay closer to B'ham but they have to drop and hook at 4 or 5 different places just to make good money.So far I don't have any negatives to say about BRC.I hope they hire me on and they give raises and good benefits.I get home everyday.

I dont have any advice for management.Management never bothers me and I dont bother them. I've met one manager the first day I started and I've never seen him again.So far I've been treated decent.I don't know much about senior management to comment.The only way to apply for this job is through B'ham Career center or Transforce Temp Service.

Being transformed into third rate

Former Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Buffalo Rock

Pros

For many years, untill Mr Lee passed it was a great company to work for.

Cons

The management the absentee son put in place has decimated the experienced workforce and put in effect a plan to make it a lower paying, less experienced, easier to replace workforce. It has cost market, morale and reputation.

They would only spin or rephrase any advice to suit themselves.

Hard work, long hours

Current Employee - Delivery/Merchandiser in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Delivery/Merchandiser in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Buffalo Rock full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You're on your own with no one breathing down your neck. Holidays and weekends off, and your co-workers are great people.

Cons

Physical job with very long hours. Not an 8 hour job by any means. Must be willing to work hard.

Update handhelds, get drivers back earlier. Incorporate raises, and even if only slightly, increase hourly rate.

Management takes advantage of employees in every way possible.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Buffalo Rock full-time

Pros

Easy to get a job there.

Cons

Unprofessional culture, poor opportunities for advancement, pay not competitive even with similar low-wage companies in the area.

Promote from within more, pay employees better, replace employees more promptly when they quit. They wouldn't quit as much if you followed the first two pieces of advice.

Merchandiser

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Buffalo Rock full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Poor management
    No growth
    they do not value their employees
    No vision
    they play the buddy system

To upper management we understand you would like to keep the name because you are home grown but the company has no morals or values. Put in a drug testing policy. You care about your needs.

Terrible Company that Treats Employees Badly.

Former Contractor - Vending Machine Repair Technician in Birmingham, AL
    Former Contractor - Vending Machine Repair Technician in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Buffalo Rock as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The experience of learning the vending machine industry is great.

Cons

You can be fired on a whim. And management has the gall to say that, "While you may not get paid the best, or have great benefits, at least you have a job." Though I am a hard worker and was getting praise on most days for my good work, I was fired for being sick over a weekend when I was supposed to work.

Not that great

I have been working at Buffalo Rock full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Fast paced. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. That's just how I feel.

Cons

Some of the people that are in management.

Care just a little more. I definitely don't like hearing, and I quote, "All of you know we have disgruntled employees here. If they(disgruntled employees) don't like it, then they can quit, the company can hire someone else to do the job. It's pointless to even complain or share any ideas to management. Nothing changes.

Great people to work with,not a career however.

I have been working at Buffalo Rock full-time

Pros

-Company vehicle
    -Great coworkers
    -Friendly atmosphere
    -Not too difficult of a job

Cons

-No overtime
    -Have to pay a weekly fee for uniforms
    -Have to pay a weekly fee for company vehicle(can't use it when off work either)
    -Health benefits not that great
    -No free drinks at all but you are not allowed to drink anything but pepsi products while working.

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. Treat employees how you would want to be treated if you were in their position.