Build-A-Bear Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.7

Build-A-Bear Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Bear Maxine Clark
Maxine Clark

Pros
  • It was a fun environment with cute kids (in 9 reviews)

• There is a great work/life balance and understanding that people have a life outside of their job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• no one ever leaves so there is never an opportunity to better yourself (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Employee life

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

The kids are really great.

Cons

You don't get any hours. They always want you to buy new uniforms. Store make 10k a day minimum but pay workers 9a hour. Never was given a raise. No room to expand or grow. Managers play favorites. There's always the favorites with 30 hours while others get 9. Managers feel they should pay employees less. Employees do everything while they hang out in the front and gossip.

Treat employees better.

Very nice company to work for.

Current Employee - Bear Builder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bear Builder in New York, NY

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

- Working with children and families is the best. Especially when a child is excited.
    - It is a rewarding job helping others find their perfect bear.
    - My coworkers are like a family to me. We all help each other and we're there for each other.
    - Flexible schedule

Cons

- Very little hours. Thanks to this my pay is very low since I make eight dollars an hour.
    - Some part time managers are difficult to work with, but they're not horrible.
    -Very little room for promotion since no one leaves.
    - I have to ask permission to clock out. This has never happened to me at another job. I do stay a few minutes late if I'm working with a customer, but I have other obligations and responsibilities. I can't stay an extra half hour without compensation just because someone is on break or just doesn't feel like dealing with the customers we have in the store.

I would love more hours, but I understand that only a certain amount could be given out depending on sales. Respect your part time employees, since they're the ones working with the customers. We definitely deserve more than a pizza party once a year..

Bearrrrriffic

I have been working at Build-A-Bear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work! Truly where best friends are made! Love my Job!

Cons

No cons! Its a great place to work, upper management is pawsome!

There's a Reason they're ranked 1 of the top 100 best companies to work for

Current Employee - Bear Builder
    Current Employee - Bear Builder

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-If your an aspiring performer or hope to work for Disneyland one day, this is your job.
    -Kind of like a retail job but not nearly as hard because the clothes are tiny.
    -Managers are friendly, understanding, and strive to make the company fun to work for while being productive
    -Dress up days when new stuffed animals are released!
    -Employees are accepting of all lifestyles
    -Nothing makes your day more than seeing how happy the kids are to be walking out with a build a bear.
    -If your a manager the company listens to your concerns and suggestions!

Cons

-minimum wage
    -you always have to be energetic

-Be understanding with your co-workers
    -Follow the advice of the FISH video. (you know what i mean ;) )
    -If you really don't like what your doing you need to find a new job cause your bringing the rest of your team down.although you'll probably never find a job as great as this one so you might just be a downer who needs an attitude adjustment.

Good if you're under 21 years old

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time

Pros

For the retail world, Build-a-Bear really treats their employees well. They always have treats, food, and gifts for you during the holidays. It's a great job for a high school or college student.

Cons

Tiring job, especially during the Xmas season. You do a lot more work than the average retail employee but barely get paid above minimum wage. If you don't like kids or have a problem being "on" all the time, it's not the place for you. They constantly push you sell more add-ons for the bear, and it's hard not to laugh about how ridiculous the product is sometimes.

Pay workers more.

Best job ever

Former Employee - Bear Builder in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Bear Builder in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers were friendly and weren't over baring. The bearisms were always fun and you really did get to bring a smile to every guest's face. There was always an opportunity to move up in the company.

Cons

Not a lot of hours per week were given.

higher pay

The best job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Bear Builder in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bear Builder in Houston, TX

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic environment with a genuine opportunity to bond with customers and make a difference in someone's day. I ended up getting quite a few babysitting jobs and tips from this job too. Working at BABW is a work experience unparalleled by any other company.

Cons

My manager at the time was highly inflexible with my scheduling due to a second job (highly unusual for BABW managers, he's the only one that ever gave me trouble with schedules) and that eventually (and unfortunately) caused me to terminate my employment with them. Also the push for a certain number of sales on a particular item or doing "FIBBing" (standing outside the store trying to draw in customers) felt a bit ridiculous and at times, pretty pointless.

Be flexible with schedules to keep the good employees! My assistant manager has BEGGED me to come back since I'm party trained and had great reviews but company policy won't let me come back due to my lack of 2 weeks notice since my schedules conflicted so much. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could and still stay in touch with my co-workers and managers. It's a wonderful atmosphere.

great company to work for

Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Build-A-Bear part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fun environment, a lot of opportunities to go up in to management, events for the store associates picnics ext.

Cons

there are no cons for this employer

A roller coaster

I worked at Build-A-Bear

Pros

Always able to make someones day better, has the rule to always have fun... and they mean it!

Cons

They have a hard time taking into consideration what their employees think. They push for you to sell things for stuffed animals and it is harder then they think. You work with mostly teenagers and it is very hard to work with the drama they bring. The company holds NO ONE accountable for their actions. It is VERY hard for someone to be fired so you work with people who couldn't care less about their job there.

LISTEN to what your employees say, they are the ones on the floor so they have VERY good insight as to what needs to happen. We would get complaints all the time about easy things to fix. We also need upgrades to the stores. Build-A-Bear is getting old and it needs to be reinvented. Allow managers to make their bonuses. They are working JUST as hard if they make plan and if they do not. They deserve to be rewarded for that, not to mention all the BBs and their hard work. They need more then a pizza party now and then.

Great place to work while at school

Current Employee - Associate Workshop Manager in Freehold, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Workshop Manager in Freehold, NJ

I have been working at Build-A-Bear part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay, fun job, lots of things to do, never a dull moment, the staff is always upbeat and the company really cares about its employees

Cons

there is no room to move up within thee company. no one ever leaves so there is never an opportunity to better yourself

make sure all employees are being treated fairly and given the same amount of hours

Build-A-Bear Photos