Build-A-Bear

Updated April 16, 2014

3.7

Build-A-Bear Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Bear Maxine Clark
Maxine Clark

Pros
  • It was a fun environment with cute kids (in 9 reviews)

• Happy and positive work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no room for advancement and management was always picking favorites (in 5 reviews)

• Not a lot of hours per week were given (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - BQ Person  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - BQ Person in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

There is a great work/life balance and understanding that people have a life outside of their job. They are very flexible with schedules where I work. While they are a business and the goal is to be profitable, I feel they do not do it at the expense of employees. They understand that the employees are their most valuable asset.

Cons

The health insurance coverage is good but not stellar. Would like to see the cost share a little better. The dental and vision insurance are really really expensive for what they cover.

Keep up the good work.

Closed-minded

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Can be a fun place to work

Cons

wants a lot of your time compared to pay
    not diverse
    no work/life balance
    no opportunity to learn other areas or departments

listen and take advice from employees

Best Internship!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

My supervisor and I worked together to meet my goals and the company's. I had the chance to learn from very bright people. I received a lot of guidance and also had many chances to work independently. I had midterm reviews. Through out my time we discussed my performance and how I could improve. My supervisor helped me tremendously on one of my weaknesses, being shy. There was a presentation at the very end focusing on our overall experience. I was terrified to be speaking in front of the whole company but I received a lot of coaching and preparation help in advance. My coworkers at BABW really cared about my progress and success. The environment is professional and very personable as well. I woke up excited for work each morning!

Cons

Offers weren't given at the end of internship as most companies do.

Everyone I worked with was wonderful from HR to my department and everyone else in between.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pawesome Place!

Current Employee - Develobear  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Develobear in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great benefits, great work life balance, great respect for employees, a great opportunity to learn new things. They truly respect family values and have bent over backwards to accommodate my schedule to allow me to work and take care of my family.

Cons

The most meeting happy place I have ever worked. Often you can have 7 1/2 hours of meetings in one day!

Not really anything to add....still love working here.

Too much politics & drama

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Fun product, creative environment, casual dress

Cons

Lots of big egos, harsh attitudes. Lack of respect.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great hard working people! Opportunities for advancement if you work hard.

Cons

Management wasn't the best at times. All about the bottom line.

Listen to your employees.

Look deeper than the Top 100 Places to Work awards - it's not as "warm and fuzzy" as they make it out to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

- Casual work environment and dress code
    - Can bring your dogs to work
    - Good employee discount (30% most of the year, and 50% twice a year)
    - Some of the charitable things they do make you proud to work for the company
    - It looks good on a resume, because other company's know that to work at BAB you have to be an extremely hard worker

Cons

- No work/life balance. All of the executives work 60-70 hours a week, and they expect you to as well. That is fine if you are making $500,000/year like they are, or if they rewarded employees for hard work. But non-management staff is paid very poorly, and it is almost impossible to get an adequate raise.
    - VERY high turnover rates due to this fact, leading employees to quickly get burnt out. This makes job continuity impossible. Some departments have had 50-60% turnover rates the last few years, but because the manager of those departments is considered a "favorite", nothing is ever done and the departments just end up being revolving doors.
    - There is no communication between management and non-management staff. Employees often find out about major company events and plans through press releases. It makes it extremely hard to get behind company initiatives when you do not know what they are.
    - Upper-level management has been entrenched and surrounded with "yes-people" for so long that there are no checks and balances within the company. This is concerning because every executive has been with the company since it began, so there no one in a leadership position that has been in the outside business world in the last 15 years.
    - Morale at headquarters is much lower than the Best Places to Work awards would indicate. Most of the votes for this award come from the store level, not from HQ. If you look closely at that list, BAB does not offer the majority of the benefits that the other companies do.
    - It often seems extremely random how the company chooses to spend their money, and their seems to be no rhyme or reason to most of it. One minute they are eliminating positions or not replacing employees, and the next they are giving millions of dollars to consulting company's that don't end up providing any benefit to the company after they are gone. I used to work on some projects with the IT department, and it is honestly scary how short staffed they are, and how few people they have trying to keep the critical computer systems up and running.

- Reward employees that work hard for you and have helped you get to the position that you are in
    - Take the time to get to know your employees and what they are working on. This would help substantially in lowering the turnover rate. In addition to being extremely under paid, one of the main reasons I left was because I felt my bosses had no interest in me or helping me grow as an employee
    - Communicate with your employees and involve them in the decision making process, especially if it is something that is going to directly affect them

Even though it didn't work for me, I would still consider BAB an ok company that could be saved. But it is going to require a major change of attitude from the top down.

Fair

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good atmosphere, great discount, friendly people to work with

Cons

Not much mobility within company, hire mostly externally since the company is so small

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

A company with heart.
    Teddy bears and kids are fun.
    Great product to sell.
    It's hard work but a lot of fun.
    Ok to wear jeans and bring dogs to work (at BQ).
    Good and hard-working team of people in stores and at BQ.
    Some cool and interesting perks.
    Lots to do.

Cons

Lots to do.
    Uniforms are questionable.
    Salaries can be low.
    Benefits good but not great.

Amazing place to work, learn, and grow

Former Employee - Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Fantastic people with a true dedication to their work. Everyone is happy to be there. Management is open and has a great direction for the company.

Cons

There were no downsides when I was there in my position. The only downside may be that some staff members work a large amount of hours.

Keep doing what you are doing! I have never heard of a negative Build-A-Bear Workshop experience. Guests are truly happy.

Worked for Build-A-Bear? Contribute to the Community!