Build.com Reviews

72 reviews filtered by
3.8
Build.com Founder & President Christian Friedland
Christian Friedland

Pros
  • Signs such as "Work Hard Play Hard", "No Good Comes From Hitting 'Reply-All'" and "If It's Really Funny, It's Probably Harassment" adorn the walls (in 6 reviews)

• They provide free food and coffee, as well as perks for meeting goals (though those are vanishing at a rapid rate) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to prove you're worth it to the company to keep up with the cost of living (in 3 reviews)

• If you have a phone at your desk you're going to be taking sales calls when the understaffed sales team is overwhelmed (in 3 reviews)

Fantastic career!

Current Employee - Management in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com

Pros

I joined Build.com while still in college. I thought I'd be there 6 months. That was now 12 years ago in 2003! My college job has turned in my career and Build.com provides more than enough opportunities year after year to keep me interested in staying! The excitement of the job keeps me around the people I work with get me excited to come to work everyday!

Cons

We grow fast and sometimes info doesn't make it out to the right people at the right time. Sometimes people then feel like that is by design or there is some master plan for keeping people in the dark. I promise you there isn't.

Continue to dig into communication and bring everyone along with all the information they need as soon as you can.

Everyone seems very involved which makes the company feel like a big family even though we all don't know each person.

I have been working at Build.com

Pros

Challenging, free food, option for when we can work

Cons

Getting used to a job I've never done before, sales.

The trainings were great, everyone has been very helpful in management

3. Forge your own path! Thanks for creating this opportunity, Mr. Friedland!

Current Employee - Manager in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com

Pros

I came on six months ago and have already been promoted from Data Specialist to a management position. This company is growing so fast, there are tons of opportunities for the go-getter or the employee with management experience!

This company is so SUPPORTIVE of the creative process! I see something to fix, have an idea to fix it, the gates are open for me to run with it. If I succeed, we all win; if I fail, I'm not punished (as long as I fail honestly and admit it before too much damage is done).

Work can be boring. Build.com makes it as palatable as possible with: free organic fruits delivered weekly, a keg of Sierra Nevada every Friday, fully stocked kitchens, adjustable-height desks (so I can stand up and move around while I work), ping pong, darts, PS2, competitions, FREE CLASSES, free fresh-ground coffee, and frequent events.

Cons

Well, it is still WORK.

Avoid snap judgments. Ensure it's not just the person with the biggest personality that gets ahead. Some of the quieter ideas might be the smarter ones. Don't rely solely on middle management to communicate the ideas upward (esp. in the clamorous sales dept). Keep promoting other, more direct channels of communication. Keep up the great work!

5. Best post-college experience I could ask for.

Current Employee - PPC Specialist
    Current Employee - PPC Specialist

I have been working at Build.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Build.com fosters a friendly corporate environment, with a unique culture which I imagine cannot exist anywhere else. I've been fortunate enough to find myself working hard on many projects, with compensation and promotions that make me feel valuable and well rewarded. I know that my peers and the company as a whole care about my personal career goals, and as a team we work to realize all goals on a daily basis.

Cons

I know some people can fall into a rut in certain starting positions. However, in my personal experience, voicing needs and goals, while delivering quality work, to people in higher positions is the ticket to getting into new experiences.

Carry on! I couldn't be happier with the opportunities and rewards we get to experience as valued Build.com employees.

6. Best job in town

Current Employee - Sales in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When you love your job, you never work a day in your life. Been over five years and I still look forward to the next day at work. Time flies by because you're so busy, but my favorite part, is getting to help people every day.

Cons

Sometimes clients think it's your fault UPS didn't get there in time or something broke in transit.

Compliment sammich... say something nice, where you can improve, something nice again.

7. ISR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great company to work for, and they do their best to make sure you know all there is to know about the company you represent. Working for Build isn't just a job... It's a career, and a great one.

Cons

If you're not good at multitasking, then that would be the only con..

8. Incredibly Awesome: If You Want It To Be

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Build.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You have the direct ability to decide how much money you make. If you want to go somewhere in the company, you have all of the tools and resources to make that happen. I have little to no pity on the people who complain, gripe and consistently pout about their " lack-of " movement in the company. OPEN YOUR OWN DOORS, THEY DON'T OPEN THEMSELVES!

Cons

It can be a bit chatty, and word travels fast. Please though, let me raise the question: WHERE IN THE HELL ISN'T IT?

If I have anything to say to management it would be: Think about your actions and how they are perceived. Perception in some ways is more important than the actual action, or reason for it.

9. Enjoyable

Current Employee - New Business Development in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - New Business Development in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, opportunities for growth within and a leadership team that fosters employee happiness and well being.

Cons

It's tough to crave fruit that is not in season and is therefor unavailable in the break room. The company is growing so quickly it's hard to remember names and more often, faces.

10. Build.com - fast, fun, and plenty of opportunity.

I have been working at Build.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great local compay that has grown to be the premier online retailer for home improvement. Tons of opportunity for advancement if you're hard working and motivated.

Cons

Growing pains for company that has expanded extremely fast over the last 4-5 years.

11. My Build Experience.

I have been working at Build.com

Pros

Working here my day goes by extremely fast. I always have something to do, the support here is fantastic. The company takes care of you and makes it enjoyable to come to work.

Cons

Angry customers would be the downfall but you have customers that are really great so it makes up for it.