BuildASign.com Reviews

Dan Graham

1. Very promising future

Current Employee - Production in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Production in Austin, TX

I have been working at BuildASign.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment. Worked hard, spoke up and it was rewarded with advancement. You are rewarded for what you bring but don't expect anything to be given to you that you have not earned.

Cons

Too many whiners that think if they show up they should get a trophy. Sorry but life is different than 1st grade soccer. You have to earn the trophy.

Advice to Management

Be available, engage and teach. Make it a practice to mentor within the organization.

2. Shocked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BuildASign.com

Pros

The people on the floor were great to work with and learned everything about job from them, benefits were average

Cons

Manager didn't train you on anything, had plan but didn't follow it and didn't have the tools needed to do job at level hired for.

Advice to Management

Live your values

Great people and a great culture makes any difficult customer worth it.

I worked at BuildASign.com full-time

Pros

-Most everyone is super friendly and helpful
    -Fun culture, with monthly company lunches, free snacks, open environment
    -Fair pay (as a customer love rep)
    -My positive experience was largely due to my manager because she was awesommmeee

Cons

-Some of the reps schedules weren't always conducive to a positive work/life balance (aka working 12p-9p)
    -Marketing tactics weren't always ethical and were difficult to explain to customers
    -Not always a clear line of what you are and aren't allowed to tell a customer (i.e. when discounts or waiving shipping was OK or not OK)

very poor experience due to supervisors

I worked at BuildASign.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the employees are really nice and you can make a lot of friends. They gave employees access to free coffee and some snacks, which ended up decreasing a lot after a little time, once they started hiring a lot more people, which I think is normal. Snacks would only last a couple days (instead of a week). Work/life balance is pretty good and they have some cool activities that are promoted. They also give back to the community.

Cons

The quality of your experience HIGHLY depends on your manager, and his/her manager as well. I was under an awful manager that kept making up titles for herself and would delegate EVERYTHING she had to do to me and other employees. She would tell me to do something that didn't make much sense (= waste of time) and I would question, only to get a "do as I tell you". She (and her manager) would get to work at 11am and leave at 3pm. It's really hard to respect someone that does that. I couldn't see myself going anywhere better there. Again, depends highly on your supervisor.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to the supervisors, their ethics, the work they do (and make sure they're not delegating everything) and how happy (or not) their employees are. I had someone from HR contact me to talk about mine but my manager noticed that (and asked me about it), and it's really complicated to say something when you're scared for your job.

Excellent company to work for, great products and service, and gives back to the community.

Former Employee - Customer Love Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at BuildASign.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is great, very relaxed and supportive. The people here are great and take care of their employees. The business is constantly growing and very secure job security.

Cons

The company does have many time deadlines and employees must be able to get their work done on time. The organization can be very regimented to meet these deadlines. Opportunities for career growth are there but you really have to "wow" people to get ahead.

Advice to Management

A more regular pay raise structure would be beneficial.

A big load of BS.

Former Employee - Production Team Member
    Former Employee - Production Team Member

I worked at BuildASign.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nunca.

Cons

First thing is first: this place is not where you go to work if you are an experienced printer. They do not know how properly operate and/or take care of their equipment. This goes for management, leads, etc... BAS doesn't know about skilled workmanship nor do they support it. This is manufacturing at its starkest.

Secondly. There is a lot of talk about "culture" at BAS. A corporate buzz word, one that the company loves to throw around and boast as positive. Let's be clear, it's not. Positive work environments do not lose quality employees and/or fire employees at such an alarming rate. If HR would publish a report on these numbers over the last 4-5 year, you would see that it is getting worse and worse.

Third: you are constantly lied to by Everyone in an authoritative position, and this starts at the top with Dan and JR. They do not care about you, they want you on the floor, pumping out as much product as possible so that they make as much money as possible. Why would I say that? Because they fire people who have to take off work to be with a dying family member. They put employees under incredible stress to exceed their beloved metrics and if they don't, they lose their job. They pay $12 an hour to start, but raises are near impossible to come by.

All this happens to you with a smile. BuildASign is all politics and heavy manufacturing lead by management that has no idea what they are doing. Sound like a winner, huh?

Advice to Management

No point, they'll never change.

8. Great!

I have been working at BuildASign.com

Pros

Best job I have ever had

Cons

None, I like what I do

BuildASign.com Response

Oct 27, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy working at BuildASign.com:)

An innovative, community oriented company with great people.

I have been working at BuildASign.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered company lunches, happy hours and volunteer events. Lots of opportunity to learn in your position and take on additional responsibilities.

Cons

Constant growth means constant change and reevaluation. It's all for the better but makes it hard to set processes.

10. Great Company

I worked at BuildASign.com

Pros

Great LEadership and successful company

Cons

Rapid growth means lots of change

Great Learning Experience, but A Lot Expected for Little Pay

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Austin, TX

I worked at BuildASign.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned so much here. I worked around such great people - fun and hard-working. The company values would be good, but some require you to do outside work (without pay).

Cons

You won't get paid what you deserve - ever. They hire on interns for different departments, one after another, just to save money. In the long run, this is not a good idea - this means more effort into training someone who will yield under-par results. Management has been taught the corporate language - this means if you come to upper management with a problem, they already have a negative response for you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and be smarter about cost-saving ideas.