www.builddirect.com

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
4.0

Jeff Booth

Great place to work and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time

Pros

fast growth, flexibility to operate, great opportunity to excel, brilliant leadership

Cons

fast growth means breaking processes which is another way of learning

Poor management and little room for salary growth

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When starting with BuildDirect the work environment was super friendly and energetic. A fun atmosphere for sure. Although this has diminished quite a bit with their growth. C-level management keeps us in the loop with future direction of the company.

Cons

When I took the job the company was growing fast and they made it sound like there was a lot of good opportunities to grow within the company - although there really is not much room for growth within the sales team. Becoming a sales manager means that you are constantly putting out fires, and assisting the Inside Sales Reps when things go wrong, compensation as a manager is also much lower than what you can make as an Inside Sales Rep. Within my time, two managers requested to be demoted back to a regular sales rep. Their duties result in a disgruntled manager that would act inconvenienced any time you needed help.

There is however opportunities to move to different departments, but there really is no monetary incentive to do so. Overall, I've been very disappointed with my time at BD. Morale within the team is low, and it is not what it used to be. From what I know, BC is not profitable, and many areas of the company are haemorrhaging cash. Suggestions to mitigate this or improve processes are usually brushed off and likely do not make it past the first level of management.

BuildDirect is failing to innovate. All they are doing is trying new ideas on their site. If it fails, they pull it, if not, they keep it going. This is not innovation, but blind trial and error which is very worrisome.

Also, on-boarding is almost non existent. You are thrown onto the phones after a couple days of shadowing employees (sometimes new employees who have not worked there longer than a few months).

Train your employees and try not to micromanage them. Let them work how they think best and lead your team by example. Incentivize them through positive reinforcement, and boost morale/performance through focusing/verbalizing on the individual's strengths.

Amazing culture, so much opportunity to learn and grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture, downtown office with panoramic views of North Shore mountains/East Van/Yaletown, beers after work, major sports on all TV's, access to tons of books, lots of learning opportunities, you can work on special projects, flexible work hours, friendly and outgoing team, young company, inspirational CEO, solid leadership, embraces creativity and trying new things, unlimited coffee and tea, fresh fruits daily, yoga classes, running and hiking clubs, social events every month, innovative overall.

Cons

Open office environment can be loud and distracting, limited resources and budget

Continue to ... inspire people to do great things, try new ways of approaching problems, embraces uniqueness in people, allow for internal promotions and continued learning.

Small company, tread carefully, huge potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at BuildDirect full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As of early 2014, the company is still small and rapidly expanding. Lots of career opportunities.

Young, fun, vibrant staff. Cool culture.

You can take a lot of initiative and be very flexible. Enacting changes to existing protocols is a very possible with minimal bureaucracy.

I was able to negotiate a very customized work schedule right off the bat. Props to BuildDirect for being so 21st century.

Cons

The flipside of the young/fun/vibrant people -- a subtly sexist culture, in terms of hiring and day-to-day work. Is it really a con? You decide.

Flipside of flexibility and ability to change things -- there doesn't seem to be clearly laid out standard procedures to do things...

Related: Poor/non-existent training. Learning on the job can be stressful.

Strike a balance between having everything be ad hoc/flexible, and having some standard protocols for workflow.

Some bureaucracy and direct protocol would be great for handling complaints/concerns.

The company is still small and you work so closely with your direct manager on a small team, voicing certain problems can be very intimidating. Make it convenient to have these concerns heard.

Aug 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for the review. We've passed on your advice to our leadership team, and we will make any changes that are right for the business and our people!

This is a great company to be part of

I have been working at BuildDirect

Pros

Currently in high growth phase of the companies existence. The passed 3 years have seen a lot of rapid growth but 2014 seems like it will be the pinnacle to-date. The true "Pro" is the people and that includes at every level in every department.

Cons

For me not a single con. Every company has things that aren't perfect but BuildDirect seems to be committed to making the employee and customer experience better

Take your own advise about getting better everyday and continue to invest into the people so that we can get better everyday.

Aug 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

We're all about getting better at what we do every day, and we totally agree that our leadership team needs to practice-what-they-preach. The expectation has been set that all people leaders need to ... More

Stay away if you want to take your career in the right direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at BuildDirect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is semi-stable for now
    Work life balance

Cons

Too many ideas .. too little execution
    Not a great pay master

Get rid of the hubris middle management layer

Highly satisfying work environment & great growth opportunities!

Current Employee - Director in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great culture & core beliefs: Respect for each other, Equality & continuous drive to Learn & Improve -- love that Builddirect doesn't just talk about it but strongly believes it and it shows.
    Work related: minimal supervision & room to think "out of the box" . The expectations are fair and there is room to fail so you're not hesitant to discuss new strategies & try new ideas. In short, healthy work pace, healthy amount of pressure but no stress or time for boredom.

- Growth opportunities: this is very important to me and at the rate the company is growing, there are a lot of opportunities for individuals to grow in knowledge, experience and responsibilities as well. CEO and execs are very helpful with employee career goals & development.

- Learning with other of A players - if "you are the company you keep", then I am pretty happy about the company I have in the company I am working :). Every organisation has at least a few super stars; Builddirect seems to have a high ratio of great employees & managers which makes it a great place to learn fast.

Cons

Not easy to think of any. I'd say the cons will be the regular cons for really any fast growing company for example, difficult & quickly changing targets and priorities. Personally, I think a lot of this dynamicity pushes an employee to another level and realise their potential even more.

Evolve the company's culture and preserve the core beliefs (respect, equality, improve) as we grow

My experience to date has been nothing short of phenomenal. Could not be happier!

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome Culture - Rapidly Growing - Career Advancement Opportunities - Shared Values - Transparent - Work Hard / Play Hard Vibe - Transformative - Data Driven -

Cons

Need to continue to hire out to meet demand!

Don't lose sight of who we are - Maintain Culture

Aug 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

We're so happy to hear that you've had a great experience working here! With our aggressive goals set this year, we absolutely need to focus on hiring great people to meet the demand. We will not ... More

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, fast growing, learning organization

Cons

lack of space in the office

get more space

Aug 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

We took your advice seriously! We just moved into a new spacious office on the top two floors of a building on Georgia and Richards. We have room to breathe and work, walls that we can write on, five ... More

Started Ok, downhill fom there.

Former Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at BuildDirect full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My boss was great, and learned a lot under him. Everyone is very polite and friendly.

Cons

Management team is trying to raise money every year or so, the company is not profitable and suggestions to change that are not very welcome. The leadership is autocratic and promotes yes men, as opposed to the real talent.

You hire good people, listen to them.

Aug 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

We do hire good people, and we should listen to them! It's too bad that you felt that your voice wasn't heard - that is not the experience we want people to have. We will share this review with our ... More