BuildDirect

www.builddirect.com

BuildDirect Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014
BuildDirect – Vancouver – “The team at BD holding samples of our products”

Jeff Booth

Small company, tread carefully, huge potential

(Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsAs of early 2014, the company is still small and rapidly expanding. Lots of career opportunities.

Young, fun, vibrant staff. Cool culture.

You can take a lot of initiative and be very flexible. Enacting changes to existing protocols is a very possible with minimal bureaucracy.

I was able to negotiate a very customized work schedule right off the bat. Props to BuildDirect for being so 21st century.

ConsThe flipside of the young/fun/vibrant people -- a subtly sexist culture, in terms of hiring and day-to-day work. Is it really a con? You decide.

Flipside of flexibility and ability to change things -- there doesn't seem to be clearly laid out standard procedures to do things...

Related: Poor/non-existent training. Learning on the job can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrike a balance between having everything be ad hoc/flexible, and having some standard protocols for workflow.

Some bureaucracy and direct protocol would be great for handling complaints/concerns.

The company is still small and you work so closely with your direct manager on a small team, voicing certain problems can be very intimidating. Make it convenient to have these concerns heard.

This is a great company to be part of

ProsCurrently in high growth phase of the companies existence. The passed 3 years have seen a lot of rapid growth but 2014 seems like it will be the pinnacle to-date. The true "Pro" is the people and that includes at every level in every department.

ConsFor me not a single con. Every company has things that aren't perfect but BuildDirect seems to be committed to making the employee and customer experience better

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your own advise about getting better everyday and continue to invest into the people so that we can get better everyday.

Stay away if you want to take your career in the right direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsCompany is semi-stable for now
    Work life balance

ConsToo many ideas .. too little execution
    Not a great pay master

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the hubris middle management layer

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly satisfying work environment & great growth opportunities!

Director (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros- Great culture & core beliefs: Respect for each other, Equality & continuous drive to Learn & Improve -- love that Builddirect doesn't just talk about it but strongly believes it and it shows.
    Work related: minimal supervision & room to think "out of the box" . The expectations are fair and there is room to fail so you're not hesitant to discuss new strategies & try new ideas. In short, healthy work pace, healthy amount of pressure but no stress or time for boredom.

- Growth opportunities: this is very important to me and at the rate the company is growing, there are a lot of opportunities for individuals to grow in knowledge, experience and responsibilities as well. CEO and execs are very helpful with employee career goals & development.

- Learning with other of A players - if "you are the company you keep", then I am pretty happy about the company I have in the company I am working :). Every organisation has at least a few super stars; Builddirect seems to have a high ratio of great employees & managers which makes it a great place to learn fast.

ConsNot easy to think of any. I'd say the cons will be the regular cons for really any fast growing company for example, difficult & quickly changing targets and priorities. Personally, I think a lot of this dynamicity pushes an employee to another level and realise their potential even more.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvolve the company's culture and preserve the core beliefs (respect, equality, improve) as we grow

My experience to date has been nothing short of phenomenal. Could not be happier!

Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsAwesome Culture - Rapidly Growing - Career Advancement Opportunities - Shared Values - Transparent - Work Hard / Play Hard Vibe - Transformative - Data Driven -

ConsNeed to continue to hire out to meet demand!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of who we are - Maintain Culture

BuildDirect

Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat culture, fast growing, learning organization

Conslack of space in the office

Advice to Senior Managementget more space

Started Ok, downhill fom there.

Marketing (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsMy boss was great, and learned a lot under him. Everyone is very polite and friendly.

ConsManagement team is trying to raise money every year or so, the company is not profitable and suggestions to change that are not very welcome. The leadership is autocratic and promotes yes men, as opposed to the real talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire good people, listen to them.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prosmanagement is great, the team is amazing everyone is really smart, very fun place to work where everyone who makes a difference is recognized

Conscompany still growing and managing its groing pains

Worked for BuildDirect? Contribute to the Community!