BuildDirect Reviews

3.3
Jeff Booth

BD role

I worked at BuildDirect

Pros

Great office location, people at manager level and below are really decent and approachable. Made a lot of good friends there, and miss the Friday night drinks with the group. The executives are friendly for the most part and take your opinion seriously. Excellent benefits on offer.

Cons

Poor senior management: my direct boss was a big disappointment and was never pulled up on that performance (to my knowledge) in my time there. I couldn't handle the role towards the end, and am glad I left when I did. Communication outside the 'chain of command' is encouraged but in practice that's never going to happen. The sales team has a seriously bad bro culture that in effect split the company in two when it came to social stuff. Maybe that's reflective of sales teams in general... Also the head of the people team was the biggest barrier to any kind of culture in there - she did everything she could to ensure we had as little fun as possible.

Advice to Management

Hold all people to account, including the sycophants

2. Toxic Culture

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Casual environment -Flexibility in work/life balance -Many great and kind employees Great company to transition into if you are fresh out of school, to put something in your resume.

Cons

-fratboy/high school clique atmosphere, particularly in the sales department -little opportunity to grow and develop your skill set -brownnosing is heavily rewarded -blatant sexism and racism displayed constantly The owners are obviously trying to sell the company at some point and waiting for the big payoff down the road. Because of this mindset, they care more about maintaining the company than actually growing it.

Advice to Management

Bring in some new leadership and inject some new blood, and do not be afraid to let go of leadership who consistently have underperformed and provide no value.

Jul 20, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for giving us direct feedback. It doesn’t sound like your experience with BuildDirect has been positive and that is definitely not what we intended. We are trying to create a positive ... More

There are some great people in the company

I have been working at BuildDirect

Pros

Great work life balance Good transparency in certain departments

Cons

The company always asks for feedback on how it's doing and what it needs to work on but when feedback or complaints are actually provided or voiced, nothing is executed to tackle the problems. Company needs to take criticism better and action on issues that are brought up.

You will learn a lot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at BuildDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Because this is a startup everyone touches everything. You will get to be apart of so many aspects of the company.

Cons

You can get lost in the mix if you don't rise fast and produce. Things are changing so fast that many projects seem to get forgotten.

Advice to Management

Learn to follow through and take criticism better.

Great people but company lacks focus and organization

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time

Pros

Great office culture and work life balance

Cons

Hires talented people but lacks the ability to help them grow and develop Company lacks focus and organization

Advice to Management

Upper Management blames others for not giving them feedback but frowns upon people who constructively criticizes an idea or view

Poor management and little room for salary growth

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When starting with BuildDirect the work environment was super friendly and energetic. A fun atmosphere for sure. Although this has diminished quite a bit with their growth. C-level management keeps us in the loop with future direction of the company.

Cons

When I took the job the company was growing fast and they made it sound like there was a lot of good opportunities to grow within the company - although there really is not much room for growth within the sales team. Becoming a sales manager means that you are constantly putting out fires, and assisting the Inside Sales Reps when things go wrong, compensation as a manager is also much lower than what you can make as an Inside Sales Rep. Within my time, two managers requested to be demoted back to a regular sales rep. Their duties result in a disgruntled manager that would act inconvenienced any time you needed help. There is however opportunities to move to different departments, but there really is no monetary incentive to do so. Overall, I've been very disappointed with my time at BD. Morale within the team is low, and it is not what it used to be. From what I know, BC is not profitable, and many areas of the company are haemorrhaging cash. Suggestions to mitigate this or improve processes are usually brushed off and likely do not make it past the first level of management. BuildDirect is failing to innovate. All they are doing is trying new ideas on their site. If it fails, they pull it, if not, they keep it going. This is not innovation, but blind trial and error which is very worrisome. Also, on-boarding is almost non existent. You are thrown onto the phones after a couple days of shadowing employees (sometimes new employees who have not worked there longer than a few months).

Advice to Management

Train your employees and try not to micromanage them. Let them work how they think best and lead your team by example. Incentivize them through positive reinforcement, and boost morale/performance through focusing/verbalizing on the individual's strengths.

8. Amazing culture, so much opportunity to learn and grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BuildDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture, downtown office with panoramic views of North Shore mountains/East Van/Yaletown, beers after work, major sports on all TV's, access to tons of books, lots of learning opportunities, you can work on special projects, flexible work hours, friendly and outgoing team, young company, inspirational CEO, solid leadership, embraces creativity and trying new things, unlimited coffee and tea, fresh fruits daily, yoga classes, running and hiking clubs, social events every month, innovative overall.

Cons

Open office environment can be loud and distracting, limited resources and budget

Advice to Management

Continue to ... inspire people to do great things, try new ways of approaching problems, embraces uniqueness in people, allow for internal promotions and continued learning.

Small company, tread carefully, huge potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at BuildDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As of early 2014, the company is still small and rapidly expanding. Lots of career opportunities. Young, fun, vibrant staff. Cool culture. You can take a lot of initiative and be very flexible. Enacting changes to existing protocols is a very possible with minimal bureaucracy. I was able to negotiate a very customized work schedule right off the bat. Props to BuildDirect for being so 21st century.

Cons

The flipside of the young/fun/vibrant people -- a subtly sexist culture, in terms of hiring and day-to-day work. Is it really a con? You decide. Flipside of flexibility and ability to change things -- there doesn't seem to be clearly laid out standard procedures to do things... Related: Poor/non-existent training. Learning on the job can be stressful.

Advice to Management

Strike a balance between having everything be ad hoc/flexible, and having some standard protocols for workflow. Some bureaucracy and direct protocol would be great for handling complaints/concerns. The company is still small and you work so closely with your direct manager on a small team, voicing certain problems can be very intimidating. Make it convenient to have these concerns heard.

Aug 6, 2014 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks so much for the review. We've passed on your advice to our leadership team, and we will make any changes that are right for the business and our people!

10. Stay away if you want to take your career in the right direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at BuildDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is semi-stable for now Work life balance

Cons

Too many ideas .. too little execution Not a great pay master

Advice to Management

Get rid of the hubris middle management layer

11. This is a great company to be part of

I have been working at BuildDirect

Pros

Currently in high growth phase of the companies existence. The passed 3 years have seen a lot of rapid growth but 2014 seems like it will be the pinnacle to-date. The true "Pro" is the people and that includes at every level in every department.

Cons

For me not a single con. Every company has things that aren't perfect but BuildDirect seems to be committed to making the employee and customer experience better

Advice to Management

Take your own advise about getting better everyday and continue to invest into the people so that we can get better everyday.

Aug 6, 2014 – Talent Acquisition

We're all about getting better at what we do every day, and we totally agree that our leadership team needs to practice-what-they-preach. The expectation has been set that all people leaders need to ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed