Building Educated Leaders for Life

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Tiffany Cooper Gueye

1. Best seasonal or part time job for college students!!!

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Building Educated Leaders for Life part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and working environment. Teamwork is essential in promoting academic learning and daily enrichment activities. Encourages "scholars" to continue learning over the summers.

Cons

BELL's mission promotes success, however the program is a little unorganized. Some teachers don't follow the curriculum provided by BELL.

Advice to Management

Communicate with staffs to understand their needs and negotiate disagreements on approaching the curriculums/teaching.

2. Great Values; Not a Great Experience

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

They have a strong mission and values, and it seems like many of the staff care about the children they work with. Most people I interacted with were passionate about their job, and really enjoyed working with the children.

Cons

They hire teachers with little to no experience for positions like "Group Leader" or "Teacher's Assistant," and expect them to know how to manage a classroom. Training is impractical- it focuses on the company and their mission/ values, rather than giving teachers practical tools to use. Even the "retraining" which was supposed to help us, again focused on the same things. Teachers are wholly unprepared in many cases and then are looked down on and told "this isn't the job for you" when they struggle with classroom management. Also, the rules tend to be based on the school that you are in, which makes transitioning very hard. I went from a school that didn't allow talking during homework time to a school where the "scholars" ran around, and yelled and screamed the whole time, and no one cared. There are little to no consequences when it comes to negative behavior, so scholars repeat the same behavior and there is nothing you can do about it. Leadership also varies by site. Some schools have program leaders you can speak to and open up to and some do not.

Advice to Management

If you are not going to hire teachers with enough experience, then they either need better, practical training with real situations, or more open staff who won't belittle them for not being an expert on classroom management.

Change in Leadership Changed Workplace Quality

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff were passionate about the mission.

Cons

Our founder left and the new regime started to clear out the leadership team.

Such wasted potential

I have been working at Building Educated Leaders for Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- strong vision and mission in theory - diverse staff, especially when compared with similar nonprofits - since so many people are utterly apathetic, it's possible to maintain work/life balance since putting in the minimum (or lower) is expected - as with even the most dysfunctional organizations, there are at least a few very talented, bright folks working here (though they typically leave ASAP) - many of the frontline staff, i.e. those actually in the schools doing the program work, are absolutely phenomenal and having a real, life-changing impact on students' lives - if you are working at a school as an educator for BELL, there's a fair possibility you'll have a pretty positive experience; god help you if you're office-based (see below).

Cons

- the CEO... everyone (except the board, apparently) knows she's wholly ill-equipped for the job and yet nothing changes. Professional courtesy is the only thing stopping me from truly offering my real opinion of her. - this appears to be changing (albeit at a glacial pace), but a number of other senior leaders are also transparently incompetent, or at least a terrible fit for their role. Even the fairly good ones are unwilling to make the hard choices in order to make progress happen. - executives get absurd bonuses, even during financially lean times... and even when program results and org performance is struggling - the HQ office is laughably awful in terms of physical space, comfort, amenities, etc - be prepared to encounter multiple cases of unethical, and borderline illegal, behavior/situations; racism & sexism are bizarrely tolerated If this sounds too bad to be true, just ask in your interviews about the incredible turnover rate at BELL. Morale among office staff (whether HQ or elsewhere) cycles between "very low" on good days and "extremely low" on bad days. At least on the positive: BELL's total dysfunction reveals itself very quickly, so you can start job hunting soon after joining instead of burning years here before finding out the truth.

Advice to Management

This is for the board of directors: ask Tiffany to leave and you'll at least have taken a baby step toward improvement. I can only assume you all on the board (and I've met some of you) have absolutely no idea what's really happening inside BELL, otherwise you simply wouldn't stand for it.

Building Educated Leaders for Life Response

Apr 13, 2015 – VP of HR

If you have observed or experienced unethical behavior, or racism or sexism at BELL, please bring that forward to someone in a leadership role or bring that information to a member of the board of ... More

6. Rewarding and Gratifying Experience

Former Employee - Teacher in Dorchester, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Dorchester, MA

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

-BELL's core values are straight forward and clearly enforced each and everyday of instruction. -BELL provides employees with extensive training as well as opportunities for professional development. -BELL allows for promotions when there are openings and when an employee displays their hard work and determination for the organization. -Upon being hired, I was given options as to which school location would be most convenient for me. -During my time at BELL, I was always supported by colleagues as well as received constant feedback and assistance from my cite manager as needed. -BELL's mission to help scholars in a free after school program is one that is had not to support. I found that BELL was always looking for ways to improve upon the teaching methods, behavioral management systems, and various other aspects of the organization. I cannot express enough how rewarding and gratifying my experience at BELL has been. I plan to continue working for BELL in my future.

Cons

-Cite location made using and having a classroom difficult. In my case, my class was subjected to use a small gymnasium. Luckily, the supplies given to us as teachers helped to adapt the gym into a classroom compatible for my students.

7. Great seasonal job for college student

Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I worked at Bell during the summer of 2012 , I really had no complaints. The position was easy and paid well. In addition to the perks of flexible scheduling I got to meet a lot of different people.

Cons

Co - workers who really did not want to work , or was not committed to the projects. Another set-back was trying to persuade team work from individuals who preferred to work independently.

Building Educated Leaders for Life Response

Feb 17, 2015 – VP of HR

Thank you for the feedback on your co-workers. We are actively working to improve our interview and selection processes as the attitude that staff bring to the program each day is critical in terms ... More

Can get a bit overwhelming at times

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

Working children, great staff, noble mission

Cons

Too much time spent on disciplining children

9. Working at BELL was gratifying experience doing work that really makes a difference in a scholar's life.

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life full-time

Pros

BELL has a ambitious mission driven culture focusing on closing the achievement gap. The work effort is rewarding and community interaction opportunities are plentiful.

Cons

Jobs and opportunities are dependent on funding which must be renewed or replaced as a non-profit resources are limited and need is great. Financial Compensation if ok given the funding budget and scholars served.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and being relevant with the times, tools, and techniques of the 21st century learning patterns.

Good Mission/Vision, Ineffective Management

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

Good life/work balance. A few good people who are passionate about the mission. *Seems* promising, but will they deliver?

Cons

Where do I begin? Senior Leadership is disconnected from other staff, also LAZY in many aspects. Would rather turn a blind eye or pass it on and then point the finger rather than take ownership - or even more novel - BE LEADERS! #irony Low morale is the result. Many are discontent or disillusioned so they skate by or "get comfortable" collecting a check without making a true impact -- all while Leadership knows this. No real staff development, no open-door policy, no real sense of culture or "family" as they claim. Teams do not work cohesively.

Advice to Management

As someone else here put it, listen to your staff. They are on the front lines and there are some who want to be invested in the growth and success of the organization. Stop making false promises. Be more involved and really evaluate those who are there and either develop them to be stronger or replace them. Need stronger project/change management to realize the vision you're aiming for.

11. Program Coordinator

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life part-time

Pros

Great experience. BELL is a well run after school program.

Cons

None, it was a great experience.

Advice to Management

None, BELL was amazing.

RSS Feed </> Embed