Building Educated Leaders for Life

Rewarding and Gratifying Experience

Former Employee - Teacher in Dorchester, MA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Dorchester, MA

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

-BELL's core values are straight forward and clearly enforced each and everyday of instruction.
    -BELL provides employees with extensive training as well as opportunities for professional development.
    -BELL allows for promotions when there are openings and when an employee displays their hard work and determination for the organization.
    -Upon being hired, I was given options as to which school location would be most convenient for me.
    -During my time at BELL, I was always supported by colleagues as well as received constant feedback and assistance from my cite manager as needed.
    -BELL's mission to help scholars in a free after school program is one that is had not to support. I found that BELL was always looking for ways to improve upon the teaching methods, behavioral management systems, and various other aspects of the organization. I cannot express enough how rewarding and gratifying my experience at BELL has been. I plan to continue working for BELL in my future.

Cons

-Cite location made using and having a classroom difficult. In my case, my class was subjected to use a small gymnasium. Luckily, the supplies given to us as teachers helped to adapt the gym into a classroom compatible for my students.

Great seasonal job for college student

Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life part-time (less than a year)

Pros

When I worked at Bell during the summer of 2012 , I really had no complaints. The position was easy and paid well. In addition to the perks of flexible scheduling I got to meet a lot of different people.

Cons

Co - workers who really did not want to work , or was not committed to the projects. Another set-back was trying to persuade team work from individuals who preferred to work independently.

Good work experience in the moment, lousy with follow up

Former Employee - Trainer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Trainer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Staff is friendly and competent. Expectations are clear and reasonable. There is travel involved to schools in surrounding towns, but it's not bad.

Cons

There was supposed to be feedback from participants after training sessions, but I never saw the feedback about my sessions.

Managers are either slow to respond or don't respond at all to contacts after the time of the contract, even concerning applications for other positions within the company.

Respond to messages and applications in a timely manner.

Can get a bit overwhelming at times

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

Working children, great staff, noble mission

Cons

Too much time spent on disciplining children

Working at BELL was gratifying experience doing work that really makes a difference in a scholar's life.

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life full-time

Pros

BELL has a ambitious mission driven culture focusing on closing the achievement gap. The work effort is rewarding and community interaction opportunities are plentiful.

Cons

Jobs and opportunities are dependent on funding which must be renewed or replaced as a non-profit resources are limited and need is great. Financial Compensation if ok given the funding budget and scholars served.

Continue to grow and being relevant with the times, tools, and techniques of the 21st century learning patterns.

The organization has good ideas and values, but does not put them into practice well

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Boston, MA

Pros

If you like kids, the students are great. Also, the hours are pretty manageable and you aren't really expected to do work after hours.

Cons

Lots of disorganization and not very much accountability. I was the first and last person there every day and was just an assistant. The materials we were given were also unhelpful.

Pay more attention to what is happening at different campuses.

Good Mission/Vision, Ineffective Management

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

Good life/work balance. A few good people who are passionate about the mission. *Seems* promising, but will they deliver?

Cons

Where do I begin? Senior Leadership is disconnected from other staff, also LAZY in many aspects. Would rather turn a blind eye or pass it on and then point the finger rather than take ownership - or even more novel - BE LEADERS! #irony

Low morale is the result. Many are discontent or disillusioned so they skate by or "get comfortable" collecting a check without making a true impact -- all while Leadership knows this.

No real staff development, no open-door policy, no real sense of culture or "family" as they claim. Teams do not work cohesively.

As someone else here put it, listen to your staff. They are on the front lines and there are some who want to be invested in the growth and success of the organization. Stop making false promises. Be more involved and really evaluate those who are there and either develop them to be stronger or replace them. Need stronger project/change management to realize the vision you're aiming for.

Good intentions

Former Employee - Summer TA in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer TA in Boston, MA

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company structure is well organized. Contact with recruiters is systematic and staff is responsive. They also screened their hires well.

Cons

The company has a great model, but the program was a little unorganized. The program manager was responsible for way too many employees and was not available to really help any of us due to work overload. Although the program itself was well organized, the support wasn't there, which made things hectic

There needs to be an appropriate number of program managers for smaller groups of staff.

Program Coordinator

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life part-time

Pros

Great experience. BELL is a well run after school program.

Cons

None, it was a great experience.

None, BELL was amazing.

Disheartening

I worked at Building Educated Leaders for Life

Pros

The perception of the mission

Cons

The Cons far outweigh the Pro's which is unfortunate. I will repeat what others have said- Leadership is ineffective with little to no business acumen and outdated experience. The CEO is asleep at the wheel and has no clue what is going on. Turnover is high and there is no interest in retaining top performers, very old fashion way of thinking with old fashion way of leading/ managing. A organization of silos with no collaboration. The fact that the VP of HR only responded to one negative comment should tell the story.

Value the people that work for you, you are not the smartest people in the room and could learn a little from your teams. roll your sleeves up and get dirty. It isn't all about your bonus..

Building Educated Leaders for Life Photos