Buildium Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
4.8

Michael Monteiro
1 Rating

Buildium is a company where you can truly be yourself -- as long as you're a team player, too.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are great, especially in today's market where too many companies don't want to offer anything but the bare bones, especially when it comes to health insurance and retirement investment options. Health insurance is very good (via Tufts Health Plan) with a few tiered options and an extensive provider network. Dental insurance via Delta Dental is available too, and I've taken advantage of it already for hygiene and some surprise dental surgery.The 401(k) program matches a percentage of your salary (about 4%, I believe), and there is no vesting period. That's rare.

The interview process is less rigorous than exploratory. Sure, you have to research the company and prepare, but it's impossible to "fake" your way through an interview when it comes to attitude and personality. And those two attributes matter as much as your knowledge and experience. Expect to meet with the peers you would be working with; their evaluation of you in the interview is important both to the hiring manager, director, or VP, and the People Ops/HR department.

Even though the culture is "startup-y," company leadership does walk the talk when it comes to work-life balance. If you're the first one in and the last one to leave, you're manager, director, or VP will want to know why and work with you to change the situation. That said, the work ethic of the people at Buildium is impressive. A lot gets done in a manageable amount of time each week.

Cons

The company is in a phase of rapid growth, which means I'm working at a place that's part startup and part established org (10 years' of history, most of it boot-strapped but more outside investment recently and a customer base that has gone from a few thousand to 9000-plus in a couple years). You must like dropping everything to help put out a fire or seize an opportunity. You must think first before saying "no" to a colleague, but the reward is that everyone stretches beyond their comfort zones to help their peer -- and customers! -- out.

Also, you must like the open-office environment. It encourage collaboration, but it has it's downside, too. If you need to concentrate and bang out the all-important report or presentation, you have few options to escape to a quiet area. As new employees are hired, this is becoming more problematic. (On the other hand, the collaboration opportunities abound. It helps a lot if you like to collaborate versus spending your entire working day with head down, buried in solving a problem.)

Stick to your guns when it comes to company values. Strive to maintain the culture in the face of rapid growth. Keep choosing the right directors and managers, ensure they stay accountable but also continue to share more of the company management with them to avoid gridlock at the top.

A great culture, and a place where your work makes a difference

Current Employee - User Experience Designer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time for more than a year

Pros

People genuinely care about doing their job well, but they also value work-life balance. People do what they need to do to get the job done, and you can count on your teammates to help. It truly feels like a team working to help our small business customers succeed.

Leadership is smart strategically and very focused on keeping the culture genuine and supportive. You get the autonomy to do what you need to do and support when you need it

Cons

The product itself is challenging since it's quite complex and sprawling - wrangling the software to work well for our customers can be difficult, but it's an interesting challenge

Keep hiring the right people, and be selective!

This is the company that every employee searches for

I have been working at Buildium full-time for more than a year

Pros

The perks are great (team lunches, access to the Ski Haus, take-what-you-need-paid-time-off) but the culture is what you appreciate the most. Buildium gives their employees free range over their own projects. And when you have that ownership, it's impossible not to feel like you're making a difference here. You see the impact you have and you just become more motivated.

And it's not just you who sees that impact. Every member of the leadership team is tuned into what's going on. From your manager all the way up to the CEO. They constantly give you shout-outs. Whether that's a quick walk over to your desk or in a hand written note. Your work is never taken for granted. It makes sense when you learn that one of Buildium's major company goals is employee happiness.

Cons

It's hard to point out a con. A month ago, I would have said that our growth this past year has resulted in some growing pains but the leadership team is currently addressing these issues. I would be shocked if we are still experiencing those pains in a couple months.

Keep it up! The culture is the main reason why I think most employees stay here a very long time. Make sure that never changes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to work in Boston

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Co-workers who are passionate about the company and strive to make it better.

Company ski house for winter fun.

Small growing company with lots of opportunity for growth.

Ping pong and Foosball tournaments for office bragging rights

Cons

The performance reviews can sometimes be delayed but is getting better.

Communication between the different departments could be better.

So far, it's been one of the best places I've worked.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability to work remotely part of the time is awesome. The setup to work remotely is great and results in seamless interactions with co-workers which make you feel like you're only feet away. The people have been awesome. As a woman, it's been refreshing to not have experienced any of the tech "bro" treatment that is sadly, very common in many tech startup environments. One of the things I've appreciated is the support I've gotten from coworkers when learning a new skill or when needing help with a project. I've felt as if people really want me to succeed. The casual environment and inclusive atmosphere is also a refreshing change. So far, I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun while doing so.

Cons

Some growing pains and a bit of organizational mishaps as a result.

More competitive salary and educational benefits.

Fantastic work culture

I have been working at Buildium full-time for less than a year

Pros

Buildium is a really unique company to work for. Work/Life balance is prioritized, great benefits such as a take-as-you-need PTO policy, and a involved work culture that is conducive to personal growth and success. It's understood that employee happiness leads to employee productivity and success within the product - coming to Buildium was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Cons

As one of the earlier reviews mentioned, it's hard to find negatives when it comes to Buildium. Any issue that employees may be having is met with concern and a plan to improve.

Keep up the great work. I love the vision that the company is moving forward with, and can't wait to grow along with Buildium.

A for-profit company with non-profit values.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Buildium full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to Buildium from a large company after many years of corporate ladder climbing. The culture at Buildium is a complete 180 where the employees are valued as people. Weekly catered lunches, foosball tables and a beer fridge are only the material perks. The collaboration across teams and the personalities of my peers are the real benefits to working here. As a software engineer, I appreciate the tech stack and the pursuit of tools and technologies that help make our job easier.

Cons

I can foresee growing pains as the company expands its customer base and footprint. However, I believe that the management here will be able to hit those challenges in stride.

The challenge will be for this company to maintain its culture while growing strategically both in the market place as well as the number of employees.

Buildium. Awesomeness managed

I have been working at Buildium full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work culture here, we all collaborate together and pitch in to get work done. Management is very invested in your individual success here and will try to provide all the necessary tools to allow you to flourish. Everyone here is super friendly and we all get along. Every week we have a big company-wide free lunch and we participate in charity events every year like the MS Bike Ride. I look forward to coming into the office everyday, so that alone makes this an awesome place to work!

Cons

Sometimes management is stretched pretty thin with their duties so some departments might not get 100% of the managers attention all the time.

Great experience; everything I had hoped for

I have been working at Buildium full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are very friendly and encouraging. I have had more positive recognition here than in several previous jobs combined. Buildium spends a lot of time thinking about its core values, and really lives them. Information is shared openly throughout the company. Management has spent a lot of effort setting up a fantastic work environment, and this makes people want to do a great job. Throw in some nice perks such as regular company get-togethers, a beer fridge, and some nice swag, and it's a pretty special place.

Cons

There have been some growing pains with rapid growth in the past year and a half. Longterm outlook looks good but competition is tough and we'll need to continue to execute to remain successful.

Keep spending time working on the atmosphere and core values, and all else will follow.

The best place I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Buildium really cares about employees, the leadership team is one that you can instill trust upon, and you can tell people are trying to build something special here. The office culture is one that consists of impromptu foosball games, team lunches, and social events outside of work. A company ski haus is icing on the cake. If you're OK with autonomy and flexibility, you'll do just fine here.

Cons

There have been some growing pains. The company could be better at career growth opportunities and employee feedback, but it's something the leadership team is aware of and working on. No major cons to report.

No advice to offer at this point. Happy to be a part of what we're doing here.

Worked for Buildium? Contribute to the Community!