Buildium Reviews

1. Great experience

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the end of the day, Buildium truly feels like one big family. The management is open and transparent about the company's goals and challenges. People are positive, courteous, and warm. You are provided with all the tools you need to succeed, plus perks like catered lunch, ski house come winter time, and various company events and outings (boat cruise, beach day, painting, bowling, and more) that are always creative and fun.

Cons

Buildium has grown so rapidly in the last year that I have at times seen challenges with communication between teams and onboarding of new employees. But one amazing thing about Buildium is that people react to challenges like this in a really proactive and productive way. Employee feedback is taken to heart, and they are constantly working to make Buildium better in every way.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium

Pros

I've worked at a number of software companies in Greater Boston. Buildium is far and away the best place I've ever been employed. Here are some of the things that make it amazing:

* The Leadership Team: The humility, transparency and thoughtfulness of the leadership team is phenomenal. It starts with the co-founders and cascades through the entire leadership team.
    * Core values: Lots of companies have stated core values, but I've never been at one that is so committed to living the core values.
    * Autonomy: People are given a ton of liberty to try new things and encouraged to solve problems in creative ways.
    * Passion: The folks at Buildium *love* the company -- and rightfully so.
    * A Great Business Model: Buildium's business is killing it. 10,000 customers, a recent acquisition, a recurring revenue model.

I feel so lucky to be at this company.

Cons

Literally the only con I think of is that due to how much growth there's been, the office is busting at the seams (although it looks like we'll be moving to a much bigger space later this year). And it's very much an open-air environment -- something that not everyone is used to.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and humble. The cooperation between departments is amazing, and as we grow, you'll have to be fiercely committed to retaining that.

Buildium has been my most rewarding professional experience to date.

I have been working at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is absolutely phenomenal. Buildium truly believes in hiring the most talented individuals who will be the best fit within the culture. There are always opportunities for growth within the company, and that growth comes highly encouraged. The talent development is also extraordinary--you can come to Buildium and continue learning and growing; Buildium will hook you up with the tools you need to succeed.

Cons

I honestly can't think of a single thing wrong with this company. I come in to work every day, excited to be where I am.

Advice to Management

The management does a great job of interacting with everyone in the company. My only advice is to continue doing this and to go even further with it to stay in touch with all your employees.

5. Awesome company with legit strong core values

Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Buildium has a strong culture and definitely hires to it. The Playbook mapping out the company's 3 year vision and core values sits on everyone's desks is definitely unique. Company growth opportunity is huge and company is clearly investing in its human capital in the time and energy devoted to hiring as well as programs/ training for existing employees' development & growth

Cons

None for me. Buildium is however a strongly matrixed organization so if you don't like working cross-functionally on stuff, don't work here

Advice to Management

Invest in PR... this company is a hidden gem in the Boston tech ecosystem and is too much under the radar for its own good!

Buildium is a company where you can truly be yourself -- as long as you're a team player, too.

I have been working at Buildium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, especially in today's market where too many companies don't want to offer anything but the bare bones, especially when it comes to health insurance and retirement investment options. Health insurance is very good (via Tufts Health Plan) with a few tiered options and an extensive provider network. Dental insurance via Delta Dental is available too, and I've taken advantage of it already for hygiene and some surprise dental surgery.The 401(k) program matches a percentage of your salary (about 4%, I believe), and there is no vesting period. That's rare.

The interview process is less rigorous than exploratory. Sure, you have to research the company and prepare, but it's impossible to "fake" your way through an interview when it comes to attitude and personality. And those two attributes matter as much as your knowledge and experience. Expect to meet with the peers you would be working with; their evaluation of you in the interview is important both to the hiring manager, director, or VP, and the People Ops/HR department.

Even though the culture is "startup-y," company leadership does walk the talk when it comes to work-life balance. If you're the first one in and the last one to leave, you're manager, director, or VP will want to know why and work with you to change the situation. That said, the work ethic of the people at Buildium is impressive. A lot gets done in a manageable amount of time each week.

Cons

The company is in a phase of rapid growth, which means I'm working at a place that's part startup and part established org (10 years' of history, most of it boot-strapped but more outside investment recently and a customer base that has gone from a few thousand to 9000-plus in a couple years). You must like dropping everything to help put out a fire or seize an opportunity. You must think first before saying "no" to a colleague, but the reward is that everyone stretches beyond their comfort zones to help their peer -- and customers! -- out.

Also, you must like the open-office environment. It encourage collaboration, but it has it's downside, too. If you need to concentrate and bang out the all-important report or presentation, you have few options to escape to a quiet area. As new employees are hired, this is becoming more problematic. (On the other hand, the collaboration opportunities abound. It helps a lot if you like to collaborate versus spending your entire working day with head down, buried in solving a problem.)

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns when it comes to company values. Strive to maintain the culture in the face of rapid growth. Keep choosing the right directors and managers, ensure they stay accountable but also continue to share more of the company management with them to avoid gridlock at the top.

This is the company that every employee searches for

I have been working at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are great (team lunches, access to the Ski Haus, take-what-you-need-paid-time-off) but the culture is what you appreciate the most. Buildium gives their employees free range over their own projects. And when you have that ownership, it's impossible not to feel like you're making a difference here. You see the impact you have and you just become more motivated.

And it's not just you who sees that impact. Every member of the leadership team is tuned into what's going on. From your manager all the way up to the CEO. They constantly give you shout-outs. Whether that's a quick walk over to your desk or in a hand written note. Your work is never taken for granted. It makes sense when you learn that one of Buildium's major company goals is employee happiness.

Cons

It's hard to point out a con. A month ago, I would have said that our growth this past year has resulted in some growing pains but the leadership team is currently addressing these issues. I would be shocked if we are still experiencing those pains in a couple months.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The culture is the main reason why I think most employees stay here a very long time. Make sure that never changes.

A place where culture counts, your coworkers care, and you get personal investment from day 1

I have been working at Buildium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When Buildium says that culture counts, they mean it. They're selective in hiring and look for people who not only have the skill set but are also genuinely enjoyable people to be around. This creates an environment of caring, helpful, friendly people who are a joy to be around every day. At previous places of employment, very little attention was given to employee satisfaction, but at Buildium, I feel like I'm recognized, invested in, and even celebrated whenever I accomplish something. I love that we branch out beyond the daily grind and do volunteer events and monthly socials. We have the trappings of a young, fun tech company from a beer fridge to foosball tables to oodles of dessert every time someone has a birthday. When you reach an anniversary with the company, you're greeted by giant balloons and a gift card. I feel like Buildium does a great job at promoting work-life balance, but people are still very devoted to their jobs, and everyone is willing to go the extra mile. I also feel like managers and executives are accessible and affirming, and I know that they care about my enjoying my position and being enabled to do the best job I can. I feel so fortunate to be a part of a company that actively seeks to be an amazing place to work every day!

Cons

As a young and growing company, we're still figuring out how to best organize things, from optimizing our office space to prioritizing our budget. I think there are a lot of small areas like this where we could improve, but I wouldn't say it affects my satisfaction as an employee overall. It's just definitely still a little more start-up and a little less well-oiled machine, but I like that everyone is given a voice and the ability to be involved in changing things for the better.

9. A great culture, and a place where your work makes a difference

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People genuinely care about doing their job well, but they also value work-life balance. People do what they need to do to get the job done, and you can count on your teammates to help. It truly feels like a team working to help our small business customers succeed.

Leadership is smart strategically and very focused on keeping the culture genuine and supportive. You get the autonomy to do what you need to do and support when you need it

Cons

The product itself is challenging since it's quite complex and sprawling - wrangling the software to work well for our customers can be difficult, but it's an interesting challenge

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the right people, and be selective!

10. One of the best places to work in Boston

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Buildium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Co-workers who are passionate about the company and strive to make it better.

Company ski house for winter fun.

Small growing company with lots of opportunity for growth.

Ping pong and Foosball tournaments for office bragging rights

Cons

The performance reviews can sometimes be delayed but is getting better.

Communication between the different departments could be better.

11. Fantastic work culture

I have been working at Buildium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Buildium is a really unique company to work for. Work/Life balance is prioritized, great benefits such as a take-as-you-need PTO policy, and a involved work culture that is conducive to personal growth and success. It's understood that employee happiness leads to employee productivity and success within the product - coming to Buildium was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Cons

As one of the earlier reviews mentioned, it's hard to find negatives when it comes to Buildium. Any issue that employees may be having is met with concern and a plan to improve.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I love the vision that the company is moving forward with, and can't wait to grow along with Buildium.

RSS Feed </> Embed