Bullhorn

Updated February 27, 2015
4.1

Bullhorn Founder & CEO Art Papas
Art Papas

Pros
  • Dress code varies by department, and is a relaxed communicative work environment (in 7 reviews)

• Great work environment and free lunch every Wednesday (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between departments (in 3 reviews)

• Very fast paced, often times difficult to keep up with if you aren't willing to be flexible (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing work environment!

Former Intern - Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at Bullhorn as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great location, new renovated kitchen, and a mini-gym. Free lunch once a week, based in Downtown Boston. They give you a bunch of time to train you to do your job.

Cons

I literally can not think of a single con for Bullhorn. If I have to list one, it might be that the company is growing too fast for its own good.

Keep up the good work! It was definitely an amazing work environment and experience.

Mar 3, 2015Director, Talent Acquistion

Great feedback, we think it is an amazing place to work as well. Let us know when you are ready to come back.

Great, but growing pains

I have been working at Bullhorn

Pros

great opportunities
    flexible with time off and offer plenty of PTO
    culture is a strong point, the people here are awesome

Cons

growing pains - implementing many call center specific regulations that are detracting from the corporate culture for the tier 1 workers

Feb 18, 2015Director, Talent Acquistion

Thanks for your review. Our employees are the ones that are contributing to the growth here at Bullhorn. Our levels of satisfaction with our customer support skyrocketed. If you feel a shift in ... More

I love Bullhorn

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

The culture is awesome. The company is growing like crazy and there's a ton of passion about what we do.

Cons

The company has been working really hard to make the customer experience great. It hadn't always been a focus for management and sometimes it was hard to make customers happy. We're definitely on the right path now.

Keep up the focus on delivering an incredible customer experience

Jan 14, 2015Director, Talent Acquistion

Thanks for the review! I couldn't agree more, we have a cool culture (hopefully you got to enjoy our incredible celebration lunch today). Our company and the passion continue to grow because of ... More

Start here, and stay if you have the chance

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Bullhorn is a great place to begin your career. They build and sell a great software product, rapid growth is causing new opportunities to open up all the time, and the usually casual atmosphere is easy to get comfortable in. There is definitely a focus on maintaining work-life balance, and the additions of the gym and jam room in the Boston office are a definite sign of such. Ignore what other people have said about there not being any passion; my guess is that they are the ones without any passion as most people I talk to are really behind the company's mission.

Cons

As Bullhorn is quickly growing, there are a lot of changes that aren't as welcome. In certain departments it feels like managers are constantly changing, which makes it difficult for those employees to build a bond with their manager. Even as more positions are opening up vertically, many of them seem to be created with a person in mind, so it gives a false sense of career progression unless you're one of these pre-chosen people. Compensation is fine but on the lower side from what I've experienced.

Better discussions on career advancement within the company, raise comp a little bit.

Dec 24, 2014Director, Talent Acquistion

Thanks for your advice. I would talk to your immediate manager or your HR team to talk about how we can map your career. We are always bench marking the Bullhorn comp against the market and ... More

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, great leadership, and overall a great place to work especially for a young professional as the office seems to have an average age of 25-30. Great perks with fully stocked snackroom and Wednesday Lunch and Friday Breakfasts. There is a new jamroom with full instruments Location is on the Seaport near Downtown Boston. Dress code varies by department, and is a relaxed communicative work environment. Company is growing rapidly. Hands on management in the sense that you know that the leaders are engaged and caring for the company.

Cons

Employee Turnover could be better, lots of 1 year stints. None other than that at the moment.

Understand why people leave to hopefully build careers at Bullhorn to show that there is a promote from within and to show that there is career growth.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere with awesome people to work with. Big growth opportunities are in the future for Bullhorn.

Cons

During my tenure there has been high turnover. Only real negative aspect that I can think of.

Comfortable Place to Work...

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly relaxed and casual culture. Lots of visibility to upper management, able to provide flexible schedule options. Very dynamic environment and lots of collaboration between other departments. Colleagues and management genuinely care about employee wellness.

Cons

Growing fast but poor planning internally. There are frequent issues with key departments being short staffed and unprepared for upcoming product changes. Lots of collaboration between other departments and offices but there is definitely tension between teams and offices which leads to an us vs. them mentality.

Plan growth more carefully so that internal structure is aligned with company goals and objectives.

Dec 22, 2014Director, Talent Acquistion

Thanks for the comments. It is valuable to us to learn which areas we can do better at. I think our growth makes it a very exciting time to be at Bullhorn and being new to the organization, I can ... More

Dynamic, Fast Growing, Room for Improvement

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time

Pros

Bullhorn has been key for my growth as a sales professional and also as an emerging leader. All of the CXO's have an open door policy, and they are all willing to work with you to help you grow. It's not common that you find that in senior leadership.

Bullhorn promotes based on performance rather than tenure. Simply put, if you perform well, you'll get promoted, fast.

If you're the type of person who seeks additional responsibility and would like to be recognized for it, Bullhorn is the perfect place to work. Due to the innovative nature of the company, management seeks these kind of people out. Essentially, you're allowed to think outside of the box and try to fix things that you think are broken.

Culture is a big focus at Bullhorn. They certainly deploy the "work hard, play hard" culture. Every first Thursday of the month, Bullhorn rents a bar out in Boston and throws an open bar party for all of their employees. They also cater lunch every Wednesday, and cater breakfast every Friday.

Cons

Things move at a very fast pace in Bullhorn due to our position in the market. Bullhorn is a business that's looking to scale and grow rapidly to widen the gap with its competition. With that said, if you want to exceed expectations and rise quickly, you can expect to work what some would consider long hours (8-6) and expect your managers to give you a lot of work to do. Again, you're promoted at Bullhorn based on performance, not tenure.

Some people thrive in this type of role, some people don't, it's not made for everyone.

This one is more personal, but there isn't standing desks!

Let your sales people take time off without being worried about missing their number. When sales people take vacations, it's hardly a vacation because they have twice the amount of work to do when they get home. It would be nice if you could offer some quota relief during sales peoples time off so they aren't thinking about work while on vacation. Even just offering 1 week of quota relief a year would be great.

Dec 22, 2014Director, Talent Acquistion

Thanks for your feedback, we always welcome comments from our employees. I will make sure that your comments are brought to the Strategic Leadership Team and the sales group.

Tim Halloran
    ... More

Fun place

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great office setting with lots of windows and common spaces, nice people who are very comfortable with the office

Cons

Almost a little unprofessional, but they keep it together.

Friendly work culture where you will always be valued for your work and contributions

Current Employee - Senior Software Quality Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Quality Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bullhorn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone on the team loves to work with new technologies to help make our product better, be it developing it, testing it or delivering it. Each person's input are valued.

Managers conduct weekly one-on-one meetings to know how you are doing, know about your career path and help you move towards it.

To add to all of it, we just got a brand new lounge space,gym, music room and a huge kitchen. Not to forget free Wednesday lunches and Friday breakfasts, the annual company outing, volunteering opportunities and barbecues!

Cons

It gets busy when we are close to releasing major features out but managers let everyone have flexible hours so it makes up for extra work that you put in. We sometimes have deploys which are scheduled for 9 pm on Thursdays which may need you participation but you are informed well in advance about it.