Bunchball

Updated November 3, 2014
3.5

Jim Scullion

Fantastic engineering experience

I have been working at Bunchball (more than an year)

Pros

Having held several engineering positions in relatively new companies over the last few years, I can say - without a doubt - that my experience here at BunchBall has exceeded (and redefined) my expectations of what a great engineering culture should be. There is a great amount of trust between employees and everyone is empowered to make real change.

One of the best experiences, as compared to other places I've worked, is that I feel like my voice is always heard at the table; whether my solution or concerns ultimately win out is a group discussion, but they are always considered.

Working with the passionate, driven, and amazing people I get to be around everyday is a second-to-none experience.

Cons

I have no qualms with the way the company is run. The path to "what's next" career-wise isn't always the clearest, but I also haven't asked the question directly either.

Continue to trust your employees. Preserve the culture by any means necessary.

Great individuals; ineffective team and absentee leaders

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Bunchball full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great diversity and character in individuals; Engineering has cutting edge toolset selected to solve development challenges (though remains to be executed); The Des Moines office is run relatively well with great culture

Cons

Besides most personal relationships, I did not have a positive experience in many facets of my brief role with the organization. Some highlights that were representative of my experience at Bunchball:

* Engineering executive(s) were not on-site; the lack of communication & oversight presented obvious challenges
    * I was rarely asked what support I needed to be effective or for expertise over my domain
    * Staff was often absent during core business hours
    * I would regularly call for meetings & conversations that went ignored
    * Team members would often have different answers to basic questions -- everything seemed haphazard
    * Terminations were used as bandaids too often; on one hand, our industry needs to do this more; on the other hand, a termination is a serious opportunity for a team to introspect and self-assess
    * The standard for quality here was the lowest for any product on which I have contributed; all things equal: the highest number of production defects over the longest time, all while there're empty desks at 4pm
    * Office conversation regularly pushed the boundary of what is (legally) appropriate; some could easily claim hostile work environment
    * Senior staff would often not prepare or coordinate before status meetings; in some cases, misleading information was provided to save face
    * Workload was unevenly distributed, creating an unsustainable burden on only a couple individuals
    * Even with a dedicated team, critical releases were postponed for entire seasons due to scope creep and poor planning
    * There was an engineering inner-circle where communication happened privately; if you were not in it, you were on an island
    * In only several months, I was one of five team members turned over: three terminations, two turned-down FT offers; I was a replacement hire as well
    * I offered my constructive feedback before leaving the organization; it was not followed-up on

One reason I joined Bunchball was for the personal relationships. I would invite others not to make the same mistake; conversations about joining Bunchball should include frank discussion about change and firm expectations for you & those you'll interact with. I would suggest having them documented. I wish the organization the best in improving, but I think they need outside experts to drive it, substantial autonomy for new senior staff, or a solid kick in the pants.

* Honestly acknowledge your shortcomings & mistakes -- in doing so, you'll vet your decisions more closely and manage risk
    * Don't experiment with people; screen candidates thoroughly, commit to them, empower them, and groom their contributions; in the time you've taken to cycle through talent, you could have hired solely for culture and trained on... everything
    * Offer clear executive direction and guidance: a united team toward united goals
    * Offer career development to those employees who you may deem as stopgaps; again, you could have trained them by now
    * Consider hiring a consulting firm like ThoughtWorks
    * Hire an onsite engineering manager to fight for engineering best practices instead of against them
    * Backfill the project manager or merge it with a senior engineer role
    * Commit to automation and automated testing
    * Hire devops to own CI -- it's diluted across too many people
    * Expand the team and begin killing technical debt; explore root-cause
    * Restrict responsibilities from existing senior staff and transfer them to new, experienced talent; level the workload
    * Don't confuse transparency as weakness -- transparency is a leadership style you need to identify areas for improvement

Where going to work is enjoyable

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People make it a great place to be 5 days a week. It's fun and rewarding, with a nice, open office space, which makes it easy to interact with all levels of employees. People are committed to providing good service, and you can tell that people really enjoy what they do by the way they are working really hard to make a satisfied customer.

Cons

While team cohesiveness is great, there could be better collaboration between departments, though I feel this is already improving

Continue listening to employee needs, values and opinions

Rewarding growth opportunity in emerging gamification market

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment with smart & dedicated employees. Opportunities for career growth. If you're going to work in software, the technology is both interesting to work with / talk about and also drives exceptional customer value.

Cons

Based in an office park in Redwood Shores, there's a ton of traffic getting to and from the office. As with any growing company, there are organizational challenges that need to be addressed.

Listen to feedback from employees, customers, and partners - and take action on it. Cut down on some of the information silos to create more cross-pollination between departments. Keep the excitement level up - it's contagious!

Amazing people. Great products. Evolving Vision.

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've never worked anywhere longer than 2 years, and as I approach 4+ years with Bunchball, I can honestly say it's been one of the most dynamic, adventurous, and educational environments I've worked in. The people alone make me want to come into work everyday, but the work is really exciting as well from a technical standpoint. We get a tremendous amount of autonomy to build kick-ass solutions to real-world problems, without too much micro-management. I've been able to grow within the company in ways I could have never dreamed of when I started. There is a real team mentality in several of the groups within Bunchball, and we all work hard to make sure everyone is growing, happy, and most importantly, having an awesome time.

Cons

The same challenges that are at any high-demand software company. Pesky bugs, competing priorities, and sometimes not enough hours in the day. That being said, our team is really great about addressing "things that suck" and fixing them as rapidly as possible. It's great to be empowered to take sub-optimal processes and attack them head-on. In my years of experience, I've learned that no place is perfect, and often the grass is just as spotty and brown in places on the other side of the fence. The people I get to surround myself with each day make any occasional hiccups worth it.

As with any organization, silos are easily formed, and you may have sales people that don't know an engineer by name and visa-versa. Some initiatives to tear down those walls would go a long way. Other than that, I feel that any time I have an issue, it is resolved swiftly by management with little-to-no pushback. I feel very supported by my superiors...

People are great, management and product need work

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Surrounded by great, motivated people on a day to day basis. You become close to the team you are working with. It is a start-up so it gives you opportunity to take on a variety of tasks. Benefits are pretty good. Not great, but good.

Cons

Management has a tendency to either micro-manage or be completely absent, depending on the manager and particular department. The product is constantly having problems, which leads to difficulties supporting and selling to customers. Not enough accountability with the Engineering department. It is difficult to get raises/promotions. Work/life balance can be difficult for some, depending on what you are doing. Location seems to be out of the way for most employees. Most people are commuting an hour or more each day to get to work and excessive telecommuting in some teams is frowned upon.

Work on getting the Engineering department up to caliber. Make sure there is accountability and everyone is pulling their weight. The CEO needs to be more cognizant of the company and stop shutting himself in a room all day. Talk to employees, honestly listen to what they have to say.

Avoid at all costs!

I worked at Bunchball full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really intelligent and hardworking people.
    Becomes more like a family.

Cons

Everything! I worked here for nearly 2 years and had a great reputation within the company but was completely miserable. Upper management is completely out of touch with the needs of customers and the market. The direction of the company is constantly changing and its hard to keep up.

Everything goes back to what the CEO did at Tumbleweed. That was many years ago and it's a completely different product and market.

The product is really buddy and out of date. Customers are never happy and the employees are miserable trying to keep up.

The outlook for this company is not good.

Start paying better attention to what customers need. It will result in happier customers and happier employees.

Great Product Idea, Poor Leadership and Execution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Bunchball full-time

Pros

Some sharp dedicated people work at Bunchball

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with market demands for the product. Product is constantly lagging behind market needs and is extremely buggy. The customer support model is completely lacking resulting in unhappy clients and over worked employees. CEO constantly refers to how "this strategy worked at Tumbleweed" despite a massive difference in product offerings. Everything seems to come back to how great Tumbleweed was and how everything should operate like Tumbleweed, as is evidenced by constantly hiring people from that company. Company seems to be rebuilding Tumbleweed rather than building to match current market reality.

Listen to what customers and prospects are asking for, and what employees are telling you needs to be done.

limited oppty if you're not in circle.

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work / life balance okay.

Cons

office location. little recognition for non-sales

Too political for a small company.

Adroit visionaries

Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Bunchball full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They get the market. First to market in gamification. First to market in B2B solutions.
    Sense of Humor
    Friendly staff
    Experienced Management

Cons

none. My first month and loving it

Keep it up