Bunnings Warehouse

Updated August 9, 2014
2.9

CEO

Good Job

Current Employee - Team Member in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Bunnings Warehouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

management encourages growth
    good co workers
    flexible
    good pay for retail
    discounts

Cons

time schedules, interacting with customers, conflict

more organised structure of management

interview,

Was a group interview.

Fairly easy, just put your hand up to do everything

I worked at Bunnings Warehouse part-time

Pros

Very easy, not much work, no sale quota to meet

Cons

They pay you on a set wage, 20 hours a week.

if you work 23 hours a week they will only pay you 20 and keep the other 3 hours banked. then when you work 14 hours they pay you 20 still and tell you that you owe them 6 hours..

Essentially they always make you work over your contract hours so they pay your less weekly, the banked hours they gain interest off of in there bank account.

Manage your employees timetables better so they dont owe 100 hours after 3 months.

It was a school work experience for one week

I have been working at Bunnings Warehouse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Just work hard and make the most out of it

Cons

Nothing Just be confident and be generous about your self

Reality vs Professed Ethos - Consequences of Leadership Selection & Servile Commitment to Bureaucracy

Current Employee - Liegeman in North Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Liegeman in North Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Bunnings Warehouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

An Above Average Business Model. Any objective interest group of investors, suppliers, customers and employees would confirm common cause that the end result is a positive outcome. In relative terms, above average compensation including beneficial Share allocation. Commitment to Physical Health & Safety.

Cons

As is common in many instances, it is at a local level that 'matters fray at the edges'. Shop floor supervision selection appears to overlook the essential necessity of truly competent people management skills. In the many and every instance of negative outcomes, it is this lack of competence that prevails. Complex management appears remote from recognising such problems. Recent across-the-board demotions of co-ordinators to a lower level has contributed to negative outcomes as many have remained in service and are bent on trying to re-establish their (incompetent) credibility. It is these very personalities that have the employment responsibilities, often times ensuring the recruitment of largely compliant orientated individuals. Ergo, perpetuating the need for somewhat authoritarian 'master to servant' type employee relations management. At different locations the absence from the shop floor of the Complex Manager giving preferences for remote if not truant, people management possibly contributes to perpetuating lower level supervision incompetences. An abnormal pre-occupation of Area Management or Executive visitations is a disaster. Days are spent 'cleaning up', often to the detriment of customer service. Similarly, the 'air of superiority' approaches are emulated with the individual stores by the complex management. A once a day somewhat ritualistic tour takes place, trailing a phalanx of co-ordinators and grade 4s. The "Trip" that takes on the spirit of a military inspection tour, with all the stimulus to a free flow of information customary of that institution. Typically sweeping into an area, in an aura that is often times hilarious for even the customers. - who regularly comment on the abnormal number of red shirted acolytes, that while the customers are awaiting assistance.

Re-assess your Employment Policies for Area, Complex, Operations and Shop Floor Management. You can afford to raise the compensation levels to secure the calibre needed. Instruct your Human Resource Director to engage in a meaningful EXTERALLY conducted survey among a cross section of those who have resigned. The so called Exit Interviews are internationally recognised as a bureaucratic symbolism. The online Vision & Values exercises are generally conducted AFTER team members have been 'unofficially counselled' and team members are convinced that the so-called confidentially is a misnomer! There is a host of individuals employed in part time / casual positions who could assist in seeking reality and who are experienced, talented, and/or even executives / professionally qualified retirees. Many hold their tongues as they no longer are bent on a career need - they could be a source if not a mine of information or opinion. The Group has saved significant costs over the past few years through the more productive use of human resources, however, one suspects that the obvious "employment LEVEL gains" have been reached BUT the next productive gains can only be largely achieved through attitudinal gains by improving changes to effective ethos circumstances. Wager, neither the CEO, COO, or Human Resource Director will get to read this.

Fantastic team environment, massive growth potential

Current Employee - Coordinator in Caloundra (Australia)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Caloundra (Australia)

I have been working at Bunnings Warehouse full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family feel, reward and recognition is fantastic every day, team based success and they are rewarded for it.

Cons

Struggle with technology and being first to market with some initiatives is sometimes far behind the competitors.

Great place to work if you do everything they want regardless of the effect on you or your family.

Current Employee - Team Member in Newcastle (Australia)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Newcastle (Australia)

I have been working at Bunnings Warehouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly customers and most team members on the floor.
    Helping people with low cost DIY options.
    Pay in bank - not always correct though.

Cons

Management is lacking in skills required to successfully manage a team of intelligent people.
    Management so 'overworked' they don't have time to communicate with staff which fosters a dictatorship approach to changes and rostering as opposed to a collaborative approach that would be more conducive to a happy and productive team.
    HR department and payroll cannot be contacted directly by team members so bullying goes unchecked, in fact, when issues are raised, the bullying worsens until the complainent quits - regular occurrence.
    Rostering and pays are commonly incorrect but take weeks to correct due to inability of team members to go directly to those who know what they are doing to fix it.
    Nepotism is rife and unless you are related or in the right social circle, regardless of how hard you work, you will be overlooked for incompetent 'friends' who are better 'team players'.
    Rules are made up on the run to suit managers needs and do not apply to all people equally. When question some managers get very vindictive when assigning tasks, opportunities and shifts.

Remember that you are not working with robots but real people who, if treated properly, will help your business flourish beyond just meeting budget.
    Reward good workers
    Treat people fairly.
    If your managers can't understand the EBA or Rostering or Payroll, employ someone at store level that can do it right and free up managers to look after their team members so team members can focus on their job rather than trying to chase up and fix errors.

Breach of EBA is overlooked as long as the store is doing well.

Former Employee - Bunnings Team Member in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Bunnings Team Member in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Bunnings Warehouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff discount, flexible hours to some degree.
    Good for casual or part time employment.
    Safety is generally a big focus.

Cons

Poor communication, young workers are sometimes taken advantage of and there is often a certain amount of bullying depending on individual leaders.
    A 'bank of hours' system means overtime is never paid unless you work over 46 hours in a week and avoided at all cost. Fudging rosters is not uncommon and you have to closely watch you are not being ripped off.
    Pay is fairly minimal and pay reviews are almost non-existent.

Make leadership more accountable.

Flexible, Good Pay, Alright Management

Former Employee - Sales in Narre Warren (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales in Narre Warren (Australia)

I worked at Bunnings Warehouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, Good penalty rates, Plenty of work for casuals, Lots of freedom, Discounted food and drinks, Social clubs, Lifelong friends

Cons

High management turnover leads to getting some really poor managers and some really great ones that end up getting transferred to different stores. Key reason I left was due to higher up not realising how things are done on the floor

Step back and let the employee's work - don't try to impose some convoluted process to work when you have no idea how it's done.

Sad, but true, Bunnings isn't the happy, cheerful, place that everyone seems to think it is.

I worked at Bunnings Warehouse

Pros

Really great bunch of team members, whom are honest and friendly, and with which I have created long-time friends.

Cons

Upper management are only around when something has to be fixed or they want you to do extra hours. No overtime, Ever! No appraisals, I have been working with Bunnings for almost 6 years and have never received an appraisal to get a possible raise. Employees are treated unfairly in regards to the amount of work they are given and amount of time given to do it, e.g. I get approx 3-4 hours to put away 6-8 pallets of Heavy, up to 15kg each item, of stock away on delivery days ( I am also a young girl) Whilst in between serving customers. Constant pressure to do more with less and less resources, once upon a time we had stock people and nightshift stock workers, now we do it all between the hours of 5am and 10pm during each normal week. Every winter period (less busy period, and small budget, they say) less employees on floor and more to do as each department must constantly run around to all the other unattended departments, and we get the blame if customers are left waiting for help. There is also a lot of favouratism, with manager to employee relationships becoming alot of the time, just plain disgusting, and also in regards to rosters being split amongst employees. We are not given the credit or rewards we deserve, but instead get rewarded with cheap lunches and dodgey thank you gifts, such as a small kitchen scale, for achieving high sales results. Just remember we are the ones doing the hard work, whilst the managers hide in their offices. I have worked at 3 different Bunnings stores and all of them have one thing in common, an overall feeling of depression amongst workers. We are all fed up, but are afraid to do anything. I am really embarrassed on behalf of Bunnings Warehouse as a whole.

Things better start to change because, Bunnings workers will soon find a way to prove how dodgey this company really is.

Given my time over again I would never have applied for work here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Bunnings Warehouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At least its a job.

Cons

Cold in winter, dangerously hot in summer. Not enough support given in everyday work practices. pay for performance (yeah right)

We don't want to hear, Budget budget budget, its not our problem, its yours. stop overworking us to the point of exhaustion because you want to make budget, get off your butts and do a bit of work yourselves or place more casuals and when asked why you don't do this as I said we don't want to hear it is because of budet restraints, NOT TEAM MEMBERS PROBLEM. Team members problem is you overwork us and give very little in return. by the way shove the BOH where the sun doesn't shine. Bunnings a leader in the field? whatever happened to a good days work for a good days pay? bunnings have destroyed this with BOH.