Burcham Hills Retirement Community

Pam Ditri

Not Just a Nursing Home

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked as floor staff for many years and find that this is NOT just a nursing home. The staff pitch in and help out when they can, and administration seems to care about the residents and the employees. Pay is decent and the training is good. I feel that if I am having a problem or need more training, there is always someone that I can ask. I think having a receptionist on the first floor has been a HUGE help and that once they found the right person, it has been a positive experience for visitors.

Cons

The pay is decent, but is it ever enough?

Keep training the staff on important issues, like emergency response, fire drills and care skills. This just ads to the reasons that I stay with the organization.

Hardworking staff, but poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who need our care and my fellow workers

Cons

There are rumors that all the middle managers were forced to take big pay cuts but the leader didn't. Seems unfair. When is it gonna happen to us workers?

Be honest and find other ways to save money than cut pay. No one makes big money here as it is.

Center for Health and Rehabilitation

Current Employee - Nurse - RN  in  East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Nurse - RN in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team work. Everyone pitches in to help get the best care provided for our residents. The Administrator even helps out answering call bells and making beds. People have fun and enjoy interacting with one another. The management offers a lot of training opportunities to keep our skills at top notch. The 1st floor is modern and well run.

Cons

I would like to work more hours, but I realize that it is necessary for the company to manage overtime.

Keep up the good work on strengthening the skillset of the nursing staff, as they greatly appreciate the effort. The staff enjoys the open door policy of the managers, and the culture of encouragement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Management

Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant  in  East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Certified Nurse Assistant in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of open shifts to pick up when all beds are filled, great coworkers, just offered raises to entire workforce

Cons

Expect no help from management. Managers harass employees instead of providing a solution. HR department is the same. If you have a compliant your concern will have already been twisted before you even enter the office. Huge divide between management and other staff. Zero flexibility in scheduling and refuses overtime. They will never do you a favor for a day off, but will ask you to pick up shifts constantly. Often times you will be short staffed. Preferential treatment males, especially male RNs. Management does not care about resident's mental well being. Purely a for profit environment.

Expand your skills beyond your office. Work with other staff's concerns and create active solutions instead of ignoring them. Appreciate your employees and be flexible with them to an extent. Get to know your resident's and their families.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Any time I have had a concern I brought it to managements attention and they followed up with it right away. It's nice to be heard and get praise on a job well done.

Cons

Their attendance policy is strict, I would look at easing up a little. Have a group session to discuss more about this.

Great place to work if you are passionate for what you do.

Pros

They've developed a culture all their own that's based on meeting the individual needs of every resident, client and employee. You can tell people care about what they do. Great benefits for employees including annual wage increases.

Cons

You must be able to adapt to change quickly as things are always progressing. Upper management wants to stay ahead of the curve but doesn't always take into consideration what the front line workers thinks will work best on a daily basis.

When looking to implement change, discuss it with the employees who will be the ones to carry out the change first.

Redeeming quality is the employees. I wish there was more.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Pros

Co- workers (non-Management) are the hardest workers to have ever worked with. They really care about the residents they take of. The residents and their families are extremely grateful for the help.

Cons

Management has no problem putting you in a compromising position to to save money. They work the staff short constantly. Management will strong arm you into taking on more responsibility than humanly possible (i.e. 60 Residents to 1 Caregiver). This can result in residents being neglected because the employees cant get to them in time. There have been many times that safety violations occur. Management has no problem promoting or demoting the employees to keep them in line.

You would have a hard time finding a worse place to work.

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community

Pros

You really need a job and are willing to work anywhere at all. You don't care about professional development or salary increases.

Cons

The management has no appreciation of the staff. The DON is a petty woman with anger management issues. They seem to be either clueless or unconcerned at the terrible morale that is prevalent throughout the facility. Mandation is out of control. My manager knows less about nursing standards than I do, yet she insists on negating my orders and forcing me to implement hers. I have never worked in a more poisonous environment.

You might try listening to the people 'in the trenches' and try to find solutions. It would be nice once in a while to hear someone tell you that you are doing a good job. Criticism and anger are very poor motivators.

The people are amazing, and if you put in the effort, there are many development opportunities.

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community part-time

Pros

Strengths-based leadership- means that your position or combination thereof can be tailored to your strengths.

Cons

It's a non-profit, so the pay may not be quite as high as competitors.

Take more initiative to show front-line employees that management cares.

Worked for Burcham Hills Retirement Community? Contribute to the Community!