Burcham Hills Retirement Community

Updated January 9, 2015
Updated January 9, 2015
3.7

Pam Ditri

Great place to gain experience.

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community

Pros

Great experience, management will work with you. Very reputable community to work for.

Cons

Many systems are in process improvement mode.. working on getting better.

Jan 16, 2015Director of Operations

Thank you for your review and your service to Burcham. We are pleased that you are gaining great experience and understand the value of a strong reputation. Process improvement systems and teams ... More

Making a difference while gaining great experience.

Current Employee - Hospitality
    Current Employee - Hospitality

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Burcham Hills is a wonderful place of employment with some of the nicest people I have ever come across in the business world. Management is very accommodating and will work with staff as best they can to ensure employee satisfaction. All of the administration and management have a wealth of knowledge on this type of community and educate themselves as well as all other employees on the most recent advancements in the assisted living field. Information and training are abundant and always available. There is a sense of family within this organization that simply cannot be found elsewhere.

Cons

The compensation is not as high as what other similar companies can offer. But because Burcham Hills is such an outstanding organization to work for, it cancels out the fact that some employees do not make as much as they could at other companies. Coming to a job that one enjoys while making a little less money far outweighs going to a job that one does not care as much about and making a little more money. The culture and environment of Burcham Hills make up for the smaller compensation amounts.

Continue to promote from within, while also bringing in outside talent that can bring new and fresh ideas to the company. There are a lot of employees who will continue to grow and flourish if you allow them that opportunity.

Jan 16, 2015Director of Operations

Thank you for your review and your service to Burcham Hills. We do encourage growth and development and are proud of the opportunities that our management and employees are able to take advantage ... More

Great Place To Work!

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked here for several years and have never had a job where so much opportunity exists. This is a great place to work if you come to work every day to work hard and succeed. If you are willing to take initiative, management will reward you for it. The residents are wonderful, the staff are generally helpful and proud of their jobs, and the building is beautiful. Work-life balance is excellent and employees enjoy a generous PTO plan.

Cons

If I had to come up with a negative it would be that pay tends to be a little lower than for-profit and county facilities. But honestly you take the good with the bad. The compensation is a little lower, but employees enjoy excellent working conditions and a positive culture in this not-for-profit environment.

Continue with improvements to the building and grounds. It keeps the facility competitive with the newer buildings in the area. Be willing to explore new ideas and methods always.

Jan 16, 2015Director of Operations

Thank you for your review as well as your service to Burcham Hills. We agree that building relationships with our co-workers and the residents/clients makes us unique among healthcare providers ... More

Burcham Hills is a great place to be!

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community

Pros

Burcham Hills is a wonderful community of health and wellness that includes residents, clients, families, volunteers and employees alike. My time at Burcham Hills has always been amazing and fulfilling. The leadership at Burcham has always provided workable and fair solutions to make work life balances real. I love coming to work at Burcham Hills every day. The residents and fellow employees make Burcham my home away from home!

Cons

Burcham is a wonderful place to work

Thank you for always being so open to new ideas and for your continued support.

Jan 16, 2015Director of Operations

Thank you for your response and your service. Health and wellness efforts are strong within the community. We are happy to hear that your experience here is fulfilling. We do feel that staff who ... More

Great people, great community!

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated employees, a strong culture of doing what's right, and high standards for everyone no matter where they are in the organization help to make Burcham Hills the success that it has been for 40+years.

Cons

The online trainings are a great educational tool, but a blend of computerized and in-person trainings might be more effective for some teams.

Development of employees and promoting from within is always great to see. Keep doing this.

Jan 16, 2015Director of Operations

Thank you for your review and your service. We agree that dedicated employees and a strong culture of doing what is right, along with our high standards all contribute to our reputation and success ... More

In Need of a Facelift

Current Employee - Hourly
    Current Employee - Hourly

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Burcham Hills for over 3 years. I see wonderful smiling residents daily. The maintenance team is wonderful.

Cons

There is no value placed on the employee.

They boast great leadership and innovation, but are so rooted in old traditions, they are destined for failure. Upper management needs to be replaced badly.

Decisions are made without approval of others; Blind leading the blind.

Communicate to staff. Emails and newsletters don't get the message across. Involve yourself with the staff.

Dec 29, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your response. We are, indeed, fortunate to have a dedicated and well-trained maintenance department that keeps us running all day every day. This team works closely with the ... More

"Many learning opportunities"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in East Lansing, MI

I worked at Burcham Hills Retirement Community full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many caring and compassionate direct care staff, hats off to you (you know who you are)

Cons

Upper management had great ideas at times but would not follow through. Staff cut to to "budget cuts" while other public curbside appearances are completed (remodeling, landscaping).

Did not feel valued, others outside key leadership have great ideas that should be considered/implemented.

Dec 29, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for this review. We are lucky to have amazing individuals that provide service and care to residents and clients. Placing those we serve first is built into our community’s culture and it ... More

Good training background for new CNA's but...

I worked at Burcham Hills Retirement Community part-time

Pros

The place is heavenly awesome! The kitchen staff are accommodating. There is always FREE food for everyone. Some nurses are very nice and helpful but I think they are no longer working there.

Cons

Some lazy aides. Racists. There are some first shift aides who will clock in but won't work on the floor. Do nothing but sit and watch the outgoing shift still working when they were supposed to be clocking out.

Keep yourself together.

Dec 23, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your response. We do have many positive qualities throughout the organization and have stressed the importance of hiring and employing staff who have exhibited ethical work habits. We ... More

Hardworking staff, but poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Pros

The people who need our care and my fellow workers

Cons

There are rumors that all the middle managers were forced to take big pay cuts but the leader didn't. Seems unfair. When is it gonna happen to us workers?

Be honest and find other ways to save money than cut pay. No one makes big money here as it is.

Dec 23, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for this review. We are very proud of the care we provide those we serve and are also very proud of the staff who work at Burcham Hills. It is unfortunate that rumors do occur in ... More

Not Just a Nursing Home

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Burcham Hills Retirement Community part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked as floor staff for many years and find that this is NOT just a nursing home. The staff pitch in and help out when they can, and administration seems to care about the residents and the employees. Pay is decent and the training is good. I feel that if I am having a problem or need more training, there is always someone that I can ask. I think having a receptionist on the first floor has been a HUGE help and that once they found the right person, it has been a positive experience for visitors.

Cons

The pay is decent, but is it ever enough?

Keep training the staff on important issues, like emergency response, fire drills and care skills. This just ads to the reasons that I stay with the organization.

Dec 23, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your response. We are more than what is commonly referred to as a "nursing home." In fact, we have a full continuum of care, which also includes outpatient therapy. We are proud of ... More

Burcham Hills Retirement Community Photos

One view of the beautiful gardens we all enjoy.

+ Add Photo