Burchfield Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.7
Brian B. Bullock

Great place to work; fun people and challenging work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great people to work with. They are very helpful, knowledgeable and fun. Challenging work assignments. I like being challenged on my job and my supervisor gives me recognition for my contributions and my abilities. Management keeps their promises; everything I was told during my interviews was true. I have had no surprises. Management is friendly and available if I have questions. I am able to share my ideas and I feel listened to. Very talented people to work with. It makes my day interesting and I always am learning something new. In the lunch room they have a ping pong table and a large flat screen TV so employees can relax and have fun over their lunch breaks. The best thing about Burchfield Group is the great people I work with! I like being able to work independently but also like the team assignments.

Cons

Smaller company but everyone pitches in to get the job done. I don't think this is a con. Some growing pains like needing more people, but it seems like that is changing as several new people have started over the last few months. Other than that, everything else is very good. No complaints.

Advice to Management

I think it would be fun to have a company outing like bowling or some other activity soon. Everyone works so hard in my department that an outing during this busy time would be appreciated.

2. Extremely troubling culture

Former Employee - Senior Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Burchfield Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some talented staff who try to do the right thing. Free parking. You can eat lunch at your desk. The computer screens are in color

Cons

CEO fosters a toxic work culture, where staff is blamed for his failures.Employee turnover is very high. CEO often pursues legal proceedings against former employees...be careful what you sign.

Advice to Management

Get a mentor to teach you basic leadership skills.

3. Will the last to leave please turn out the lights?

Former Employee - Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Burchfield Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a former analyst for TBG, I left of my own choice. TBG has a wonderful market segment, PBM auditing, and should be able to find quality contracts that really benefit their customers.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company is owned by someone who has displayed over and over that he is incapable of allowing others to help him grow the company. He wants total control and often pits one executive against another, changing the game mid-stream just to watch his team try to "gain his love". The number of senior people that have tried to help him is significant. Like many other entrepreneurs, he does not understand that for a company to grow, he has to surround himself with people better at operations than he is and then let them do their jobs. It is a very toxic environment. Recent layoffs (including his entire executive staff) are only the start, and the company will continue to struggle as healthcare changes, it no longer has the infrastructure to create new products and innovate.

Advice to Management

The products and services you offered several years ago were good for that timeframe, but your inability to innovate and accept the advice of other quality people have put the company in serious jeopardy.

There are many highly competent employees but very few of those are management.

Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Burchfield Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technical competence in pharmacy benefit consulting. A superficial commitment to employees that wears off shortly after hiring and disappears when any problems or honest or open discussion with management occur.

Cons

Senior management is the real problem. No vision or even an integrated plan openly shared with all team members. A conflicted company because they want to "sell" in a "consulting" environment and do not have insight into how this can be accomplished. No integrity toward employees or clients.

Advice to Management

Sell! You are toast.

6. Future is bleak due to poor leadership and management

I have been working at Burchfield Group full-time

Pros

There are a handful of bright, skilled individuals that you can learn from at this organization. There is a ton of knowledge and expertise that individuals are willing to share which can lead to alot of knowledge share.

Cons

There is a complete lack of strategic direction from the CEO and senior leadership and there is little to no emphasis put on developing talent within the company. The only metric that is focused on is revenue, no focus put on operational efficiency, resource deployment, strategic planning, talent development or anything that will assist the organization in running smoothly. This is evidenced by the roughly 50% turnover rate I witnessed while being employed there. There is no company that can be successful with this sort of turnover rate. Further, there is little to no thought leadership at this organization. At this point the average tenure within the company is probably less than 1 year and average experience in the industry is less than 1 year, not a recipe for success. I would not recommend anyone working for this organization at any level. It is an organization that is looking to churn and burn through all levels, even the senior levels, in order to meet mythical revenue numbers.

Advice to Management

Start to put an emphasis on cultivating talent and building out strategic planning. Completely revamp your culture and value system. There needs to be an environment in place where healthy disagreements can be viewed as opportunities for improvement and not means for termination. It may be too late for this organization, but is worth a try. Figure out how to fix the turnover rate, it is affecting your brand severely and affecting not only obtaining top level talent but also securing clients and partners. Pharmacy is a small world and the word is out on the terrible environment and culture at Burchfield. It is only going to get worse until something material is done about it. Good luck, you will need it.

The most dysfunctional organization...Management is clueless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Most of the coworkers are knowledgeable and fun to be around...while they last. Company events are usually quite nice - they do know how to show employees a good time. Beer in the fridge...

Cons

HR is misleading There is confusion between the ownership of the audit process across different departments - this leads to duplicate work, etc. Management does not promote a healthy work environment - complaints fall on deaf ears - and those people eventually leave. The war of office politics will interfere with how you can do your job - that can change from week to week depending on what the latest game upper management is playing with each other. This place had the biggest turnover that I have ever seen and I have experienced work environments with a fairly good amount of turnover. Most people have not even been here for two years. Do not believe it when they tell you that the company is growing - they are replacing the many that have come before you.

Advice to Management

Keep the office politics behind closed doors. Let IT be run by someone with IT skills. Anyone that has been around the block knows that you have to know what you are doing (as in having that same background) to effectively lead a department. Pretending to have these skills will not work. Clarify the audit process - both audit, consulting, etc. complain that its very confusing. It wastes time when everyone is doing everyone else's job but their own. You need to improve morale or pretty soon you will see more experienced people leaving - and they are planning and plotting believe it - what are you going to do when all the experienced talent with their connections and knowledge are gone?

Turnovers abound because of bad management at the top

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN

Pros

My coworkers are very helpful, nice, and knowledgeable while they last Everyone, except the CEO is very committed to the clients The office is nice with a flat screen TV in and Nintendo Wii in the break room There are plenty of desks to choose from and if the one you want is taken, it will probably be open in a couple of weeks.

Cons

Most of the staff has been here only a few months, which makes finding out about what happened in previous years nearly impossible. Most of the newly hired people realize that they were lied to in the interview and quit within weeks of starting. Once hired it is very hard to move up, aside from the occasional title change with little compensation or workload change. The IT staff is nonexistent which causes lots of downstream problems. Most of the new people keep to themselves making the atmosphere in the office heavy and cold Quality is constantly sacrificed to meet deadlines after overselling to pad the CEO's wallet

Advice to Management

Incentivise good workers to keep them around Promote a more social atmosphere Tell new hires the truth about the company in the interview process so they know what they are getting in to. Focus on infrastructure projects to streamline and automate the business Deliver quality to the clients instead of cutting corners to make a quick buck even if it means you have to take on fewer clients.

Something is rotten in the state of Minnesota...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

There is a very talented core group of people you will work with. Salaries are respectable for new hires Flexibility in schedule

Cons

The talented people quickly find their way to the exit *Extremely* low morale Untruths fill the air The interview process promises the world, but they can not deliver. A very "Big Brother" feel for such a small company.

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on the people that made the company a good place to work. You have a very talented group of individuals working for you, respect them and listen to their ideas as the path you are continuing on now is not working.

Concerning...organization appears lost and floundering

Pros

Occassional company sponsored events are well meaning Given the staff turnover, there appears to be alot of opportunity for advancement The work space is nice and includes some usually perks (ping pong table) Coworkers try hard to assist in anyway Donuts once a month

Cons

Day-today activities are a vague match to what was offered during the interview process Staff turnover is very concerning...over 30% of the staff has left in 2011 Unsure senior management really has a plan Communication from senior management is very poor Morale is very low...where are the smiles The workload is very heavy and always seems to be behind the eight ball in deadline delivery Many new staff, with little training and oversight The focus is always on finance and not on quality or customer satisfaction

Advice to Management

CEO needs to listen better to employee concerns and develop a plan to improve the culture More turnover is coming, the breakroom chatter is unbelievable Do better hiring management & leaders, unsure how some got their job Given that I know all the recent hires and their perspective on Burchfield, I believe the "New Hire Review" posted on July 29 was planted by Burchfield Management. That says alot about the company and the CEO.

Whose left? Last one out, please turn the lights off

Pros

A couple of really good people to work with. I hope they stay Lot's of new employee welcoming receptions, so donuts abound Dress is casual so I can wear jeans The office is not as bad as most and parking is pretty easy Ping pong table in the breakroom

Cons

CEO doesn't trust anybody so no one trusts him Nobody smiles at work and there is a culture of gloom Very little direction given to inexperienced staff With the heavy work loads, it's sink of leave CEO always in closed door meetings Turnover is staggering!!! Thirty new faces in last 2 years. Yikes! The only communciation is around people leaving and new hires. Nothing else The Operation Lead has little subject matter knowledge

Advice to Management

CEO needs to hire a President and give him/her total control Hire more experts as most of the good talent has left Staff need more support, training & leadership especially in the operations areas The organization needs a cultural revitalization

RSS Feed </> Embed