Bureau Veritas North America

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.2

Pedro Paulo Guimaraes

Not the worst, not the best

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America

Pros

Great managers in the office, superb leadership. CIHs are some of the smartest I've ever worked with

Cons

Highly overworked and underpaid, management in office has limited ability to increase salary, as vice president and president are responsible for approving.

Pay employees salaries that match with work load and success.

Disgusting business ethics

Former Employee - Laboratory
    Former Employee - Laboratory

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The woman they contracted to sign up our health benefits was very nice and helpful. I can not think of one other good experience since they merged with the company I worked for.

Cons

Bureau Veritas acquired a small family owned oil analysis company I worked for, for a year. Bureau Veritas assured us everything would "stay the same" and perhaps the benefits would get better. They lied. Insurance costs were doubled and they eliminated my position without notice, rendering me unemployed. The work I did would be sent to the other locations and picked up by already overworked staff at the other locations. Meetings about the acquisition were held over speaker phone with over 100 employees of four cities gathered in respective conference rooms. Nobody could understand over the speaker phone the adjustments they were explaining to us. These adjustments impacted many of us like pay periods changing and new insurance costs just to name a few. We were more confused after the meeting then before. Their management told us they would give out their emails to us if we had any concerns, but they never did. Before this happened I applied within the company for a position I was well qualified for and wasn't notified whether they received the application or contacted in any way. The salaries we were being paid before the acquisition were near the lowest if not the absolute lowest in industry. We thought being the big corporation that Bureau Veritas is perhaps they would bring salaries up to Los Angeles market for an oil analysis laboratory, but they didn't. The overly priced health insurance costs became 20% of a newly hired lab techs net pay. Overall I find it rather disgusting that they get away with it. I really wish Glass door didn't make me pick a star. Id pick a pile of poo for this company.

Retire. There is more to life than money.

It's a good place to learn, not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Senior CHEMIST
    Former Employee - Senior CHEMIST

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of new equipment in the lab, good place to start off. Great LIMS.

Cons

Politics. Management never care about employees, no work ethics followed by managers. Low pay.

Care about employees.

Company Couldn't care less about employees

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Has given a double digit return on 401K for the past 2 years.

Cons

This company does not value good people or, look at work processes from a hands on perspective. Only cares about it's bottom line = $$$ HQ in France uses an Excel spreadsheet to make all of it's decisions instead of listening to it's people

Stop blowing smoke up everyone's shorts and practice what you preach. Get in touch with the everyday worker and find out why all of you well trained / long term employees are leaving. Put some value on older workers.

Company with lots of potential that is being brought down by bad leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America

Pros

There are opportunities to train on different instrumentation if you stay for a long time, but the training isn't very in-depth. The hours are flexible.

Cons

Management is ineffective, so experienced, knowledgeable employees keep leaving for better jobs. Equipment is very old and out-dated.

Invest in your best employees, listen to what experienced workers have to say, and don't be afraid to invest money back into the lab.

A "buttoned-up" organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Bureau Veritas North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A small local corporate group (for North America) offers frequent interaction with executives
    Upstanding organization with good name in it's marketplace
    Generally positive office dynamices / minimal office politics

Cons

Global headoffice (in Paris, France) is distant and often difficult to communicate

Office politics and divisiveness dominate this workplace (Amherst, NY)

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Amherst, NY

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free parking; building has heat and AC in the appropriate seasons; on-site IT support.

Cons

Incompetent senior management, lack of transparency, extensive hours for salaried workers

Clean house and start over with independent senior management

Very poorly managed company.

Former Employee - Senior in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people at BV. Good network of offices. Could be a good place to work if you have a good boss.

Cons

There is no real leader (CEO) for North America.; he doesn't understand how to run a North American business with integrity.

Get a real CEO for the Americas.

Fine, so long as your division has unrealistically low overhead

I worked at Bureau Veritas North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good coworkers
    Adequate resources for most of the work
    Relatively flexible schedule
    Global resources

Cons

Low compensation in comparison to others in industry and area
    Numbers-oriented to a fault, even if your division's numbers are great for what you do, if they are even slightly less favorable to the company's bottom line (regardless of what your division does) you are targeted for cuts.
    Fairly obvious favoritism displayed by upper management
    Nonsensical insistence that all employees take specific online training for activities/situations that do not relate to job function or environment

On a downward trend with very little hope for the future. If you are beginning your career, look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Benefits are good, but very expensive. Consultants work from home when not traveling. BV is a brand name in Europe and Asia so if you are wanting to gain international experience to tranfer overseas, this is a good state-side organization to start with.

Cons

Ineffective senior management, company retains only people who cannot find jobs elsewhere, no raises for years, no training programs, limited tuition reimbursement, headcount cuts are imminent. So much turnover now that its a revolving door.

Consider selling off the HSE division, you don't know how to do consulting and no amount of six figure 'turn around' executives will make any difference. Stick with your core busines of inspections and quality attestation which you do relatively well.