Bureau Veritas North America

Updated Apr 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pedro Paulo Guimaraes

Fine, so long as your division has unrealistically low overhead

ProsGood coworkers
    Adequate resources for most of the work
    Relatively flexible schedule
    Global resources

ConsLow compensation in comparison to others in industry and area
    Numbers-oriented to a fault, even if your division's numbers are great for what you do, if they are even slightly less favorable to the company's bottom line (regardless of what your division does) you are targeted for cuts.
    Fairly obvious favoritism displayed by upper management
    Nonsensical insistence that all employees take specific online training for activities/situations that do not relate to job function or environment

On a downward trend with very little hope for the future. If you are beginning your career, look elsewhere.

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are good, but very expensive. Consultants work from home when not traveling. BV is a brand name in Europe and Asia so if you are wanting to gain international experience to tranfer overseas, this is a good state-side organization to start with.

ConsIneffective senior management, company retains only people who cannot find jobs elsewhere, no raises for years, no training programs, limited tuition reimbursement, headcount cuts are imminent. So much turnover now that its a revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider selling off the HSE division, you don't know how to do consulting and no amount of six figure 'turn around' executives will make any difference. Stick with your core busines of inspections and quality attestation which you do relatively well.

Great for worklife balance, but horrible office politics.

Project Accountant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work life balance, rarely work over time. Some what flexible with hours. Good amount of vacation time, but not alot of holidays. Good Insurance, but you pay a high price especially if for a family. Full benefit package available.

ConsManagers don't have any people skills and are so hands off they are annoyed with questions. They only care about marking their numbers. Lack of professionalism. The building is disgustingly dirty. I don't know if the carpets have ever been cleaned. Alot of computer software issues, which make it impossible to work at times. Managment is very high strung over month end and its always that way. Training is done all on the fly. You must be a quick learner or you will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciate your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Anonymous-California

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of my co-Workers were nice people. Benefits were average to good for a large company.

ConsI have worked at several companies, large and small, and this is by far the worst office environment and managment that I have experienced. Camaraderie and team building is not encouraged and most people fear being fired everyday. Some of the management plays games with employees so they will either leave or so they can fire people and no body else in management seems to care. Bureau Veritas means Bureau of Truth which couldn't be further from the truth..... and I will leave that at that. I imagine as the job market improves many people will find jobs elsewhere. Maybe other office for this company are better than the office I was in, but my experience was terrible. I was actually relieved to leave there. Life is too short to work in this kind of environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't care how employees are treated as long as the work gets done and they get their money.

Great place to work

Citrus Heights, CA

ProsThe staff is friendly and willing to do what it takes to get the job done. Always eager to answer questions and help get a situation out of control under control. David G is always a pleasure to work with.

ConsLoved working for this company, sad to be laid off.

Too much turnover of management

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsCompensation was fair. No true consulting culture just a bunch of form checkers.

ConsLeadership cares only of lining their own pockets

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach and provide meaningful leadership.

This is a good company to work for and gain experience.

Downers Grove, IL

ProsGreat group of people to work with. I made many friends at this company.

ConsWork outside of your scope.

Not "One Great Company" to work for.

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThis company's asset was it's people. Most have moved on to find companies that provide competitive salaries, better benefits, training and growth.

ConsInability to be innovative and adapt to change in the current market.

Advice to Senior Management"Invest in your people and the money will come."
    Simply labeling your yourself "One Great Company" doesn't mean it's a great company, especially when behaviors of upper management shows otherwise.

Overall solid organizations with room to move around

Manager (Former Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsLots of areas to work if you like the industry. QHSEA

ConsSome turn over in management due to acquisitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on retention of your best

I like the job, fellow employees and clients; compensation miserably inadequate.

Microscopist (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsYou can take on as much responsibility as you wish. Clients are nice to work for.

ConsNo increase in salary no matter how much responsibility, flexibilty, accountability you're willing to accept.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn my job so you will appreciate what I do.

Worked for Bureau Veritas North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bureau Veritas North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bureau Veritas North America CEO Pedro Paulo Guimaraes. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Bureau Veritas North America employees.