Burger King Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.7

Daniel Schwartz

Pros
  • You meet some nice coworkers, depending on your manager you get free food when you work (in 41 reviews)

• Opportunity to gain great experience in a fast paced environment (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • no work-life balance, extreme amount of work due to lack of people (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours for managers, usually either very early morning or very late nights (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved the coworkers and the managers

Former Employee - Cook/Cashier in Fairview Park, OH
    Former Employee - Cook/Cashier in Fairview Park, OH

I worked at Burger King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a good way to get out into the working world and work on customer service skills and cashier experience.

Cons

The only thing I had a problem with was I did not have set hours. I never knew when I was going to be home with my daughter.

Keep doing what you're doing. The training is great and they never stopped trying to help their employees.

Great, depending on management

Current Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Miami, FL

I have been working at Burger King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    CIP/Compensation
    Nice environment (atleast for my store)

Cons

Management can be extremely mean.
    Like with any place, customers can be extremely rude

Don't be so harsh on the cashiers. Most if not any time upper level management came in it was to bash the cashiers.
    They want you to move out orders on the drive-thru with 1-2 minutes, but also want you to be polite. It's hard to be polite and rush people via the window.

review

I have been working at Burger King as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work place. good food

Cons

long hours. more training for managers

15 years working for small, family owned franchise. Advanced to GM. Large franchise buyout, losing sanity day by day.

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Burger King full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Time flies
    always something to do
    Great people, always looking out for each other
    Job growth opportunities for smart, motivated individuals.

Cons

Stressful
    Stupid fat people want minimum wage workers to work flawlessly then think that every problem is deliberately perpetrated against them on a personal level with malicious intent.
     the reality is that:
       the 16 year old kid making the whoppers ( who might normally do flawless work) may only thinking about what he/she is going to do friday night if they can get away with calling off.
     or:
       the 25 year old single mother who picked up three extra shifts to pay for the babysitter she already couldn't afford was momentarily distracted thinking about her sick kid for 1 or 2 minutes during her 10 hr day.

Small franchise sold out to largest franchise in US. Going from family run to corporate number cruncher has ruined the few bright spots and my work week has increased from 45hrs or less to 60hrs+ for same pay.

biggest con of all : being surrounded by stupid unintelligent people who constantly make the same mistakes no matter how many times you tell them the same thing. no matter how many people you hire/fire, it is a business for unskilled workers and the skills learned on the job can be used to make better wages elsewhere. which is where I am heading.

I loved my job until my bosses sold their 4 store franchise to a 500 store franchise.

Small franchises might be going the way of the buffalo, but at least the small franchise owners are involved in operations. High sales volume stores need more assistant managers than the large franchise model allows for. Avg sales volumes can function on 4/5 managers. High volume should allocate at least 6. This new franchise budgets for 4. 4 people cannot sustain a 2M+ annual sales volume while expecting mgmt to keep within expected 50 hr/wk. especially when vacation time is used.

A normal week would allow only 4mgr*50hrs/ea = 200hrs staffing. spread that over 7days* 20hrs of operation = 140 hrs of bare minimum 1 manager at a time staffing. This allows less than 10 hrs overlap in shifts per day. If a manager takes a week of vacation then there is nearly 0 overlap in shifts. Successful operation requires a cashier/counter mgr and a kitchen mgr during peak volumes (lunch/dinner), plus adequate time for paperwork, scheduling, ordering, inventory, training, etc. 4 mgrs may be possible in low volume stores, not high volume. Proper operation requires 6 full times managers minimum for 2M+ annual sales.

large franchise business model requires too much sacrifice at the store level to justify funding a payroll department, hr department, it department, etc... 500 miles away... and to overcompensate a regional manager who shows up once a month and stands in everybody's way and critiques the mundane while ignoring the big picture.

Loved my job until being acquired by Carrols Corp. franchise

not to mention the team started a mutiny when they found out they would be cot to 30 hrs/wk or less so Carrols Corp could avoid paying insurance/penalties. These were my hard working, well trained, established core of full time workers who were supporting themselves, their families, paying for school, etc.
    40hrs * $8.25/hr ($1/hr above minimum wage) = $17160/yr.
    30 hrs * $8.25/hr ($1/hr above minimum wage) = $12870/yr.
    that is a $4290/yr pay cut for established/trained/motivated employees.
    Would you want to stay?

My annual $48000 as RGM equates to $20.50/hr at a 45 hour week.
    My new 48000 salary at 60 hrs/week means i'm only worth 15.38/hr.

I GOT SCREWED

Just fine for a first job, but not particularly rewarding.

Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Mount Olive, NJ
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Mount Olive, NJ

I have been working at Burger King part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working with people and I have learned a lot about the food industry. My co-workers are pleasant and fun to work with, most are caring and hard-working people. Management at the location I work at is encouraging and professional. Good scheduling options.

Cons

Training methods for brand new employees are not very effective in my mind, and there are double standards applied to certain restaurant operations which can make things confusing. Company owners complain too much are not a big help to us. The work itself is challenging, and often times the restaurant employees get no recognition or thanks for their efforts. Minimum wage pay.

Treat your employees with more respect... have a more clear direction at least... lately it seems like things have been very unorganized and all of the employees have suffered as a result.

Awesome flexibility and teamwork

Former Employee - Crew Member in Meadville, PA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Meadville, PA

I worked at Burger King part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management cares overall, flexible hours, job rotation used often.

Cons

Negative attitudes associated with some employees and customers.

Ensure that every employee is evaluated and reviewed on a regular basis.

Fun

I have been working at Burger King

Pros

Great coworkers and supervisors, great food, fast working environment

Cons

Not the cleanest place, some supervisors liked to take smoke breaks every 5 minutes, only one person working counter at all times

Start putting two people up at counter so that you can get work done easier and more efficiently.

Hard work rewarding job fast paced environment, good peers to work with.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Burger King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and recognition good guidance is given.

Cons

Long hours, and at times need to work off days.

Better planning

Ok. Just ok.

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at Burger King (more than an year)

Pros

Nice staff. Great incetives and good food.

Cons

Gm's are under a lot of pressure, which trickles down to the staff.

Please provide Gm's with the things they need to run their stores effectively

Short stint but fun

Former Employee - Crew Member in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Miami, FL

I worked at Burger King part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were fun. I got to see a lot of faces every day as customers came. I'm a social person so this was also very enjoyable.

Cons

I can't think of any. Maybe a few rude customers but overall great experience. Had to clean the bathroom a few times. When refilling the ice machine, it was pretty cold getting all the ice.