Burgiss

www.burgiss.com

Burgiss Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014
Burgiss – Hoboken – “Entrant to building, John Wiley Co. occupies…”

Burgiss Founder & President James Kocis

James Kocis

Friendly people, good entry-level exposure to the private equity world

Intern (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsGet to see a lot of data in financial reports from well known firms

ConsUnpaid, very little human interaction

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Eventless

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team is relatively small. So, I was able to access VPs and other higher members. The ping pong game is a great escape from the work during lunch and provides entertainment as well as interaction among co-workers.

ConsThere is a very small chance to grow within the company. The workload is very heavy at times and managers just want to get jobs done. They can be pretty ruthless with the amount of work. People have almost no interaction during work and the open office concept makes it pretty gloomy environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be creative on how to import talents to the company and provide them the task according to their calibre.

Okay to start

ProsDecent health benefits - nice view from the office if you have a chance to look up from your computer.

ConsThere's nowhere to move up - particularly if you're female.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent position with the right expectations

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsBurgiss is what you would expect out of any other technology solution companies of its size. Work-life balance is great, the atmosphere is generally relaxed, pressure is low and people are friendly. This will be a great job if you are coming fresh out of college and you didn't graduate from a top tier university. Work quality is decent, although repetitive, and you will set your career off with some nice set of marketable skills. I came into the company a little less than a year ago and I already know a lot more than when I first started. Decent benefits also can't go unmentioned.

ConsThis great list of pros will come with some major downsides as well. You simply do not come into Burgiss as an analyst and expect to exceed the 38-44k starting range. The faster you understand that you will not be making much progress from there, the easier time you will have during your annual review. This is not a MNC and you will not be promoted or given raises like one. Opportunity for growth is non-existent, but none of these should really be anything out of your expectations coming into the company. You either come in with the right expectations or you don't. This is not a career but a decent job out of college, and the management does not expect you here or pay for your services for the long term.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe internship looks good on paper

ConsThe work is very tedious work

Very Bad Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only thing I can think of is the location

ConsShort sight and narrow minded management team, highly incompetent leadership, the company is doomed

Advice to Senior ManagementDo nothing, the best is to get acquired, or go busted

Nice location and building

Intern (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

Pros- work individually
    - company iming system to communicate
    - great location in hoboken, great office
    - nice workers

Cons- nice workers, but not friendly
    - extremely quiet office environment, almost awkward
    - as an intern, no skills were needed to complete the projects assigned

Advice to Senior Managementthe company is great, however intern work is rather miserable, please look for full time job there not an internship

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone is friendly, casual, and down to earth.

ConsVery relaxed work environment with very little room to grow.

Internship- great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-researched financials, learned a little bit about financial modeling, excel
    -management was very kind
    -ping pong table made lunch fun

Cons-long hours occasionally on mondays

Advice to Senior Managementgreat internship

Unsophisticated, self absorbed & ignorant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a handful of decent people that you will meet at various levels, however most are awful.

ConsGiven its a small company, there used to be more flexible policies allowing employees to work from home when necessary. This was especially helpful since most are extremely underpaid and can't afford to have someone else take care of things when something goes wrong on the home front such as repairs or childcare issues. Things changed and it seems as though management unilaterally decided to run the place like a factory - even more so than in the past - addressing most the staff as "data monkeys." Why not outsource overseas? It would surprise me if this is now the case... overall an unorganized place where management makes decisions wearing blinders and hard-working staff is blamed for everything. Management also lies about revenue in a continuous effort to prevent bonus distributions to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not that smart so consider paying for high quality employees and do not take advantage of the loyal ones that you actually have on payroll

Worked for Burgiss? Contribute to the Community!