Burlington Coat Factory

Burlington Coat Factory Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury

Tom Kingsbury

Pros:
  • "Mostly flexible schedule, co-workers are friendly"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "People slack a lot while others bust their butts for minimum wage"
    in 27 reviews
  • "No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

fair

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Ponce, PR

Prosgood merchandise, a good training program, good core values.

Conspoor management from corporate. bad decisions on floor plans for merchandising. and employee staffing.

Advice to Senior Managementadd employees, or machines for customer service or job duties. this adds up to loosing sales, customers, merchandise, and company??????

Corporate and Management is horrible.

Fairview Heights, IL

ProsAmazing coworkers, laid back. I really enjoyed the job, until things started changing.

ConsHigh turnover rate. Poor hours, poor pay, bad management, conflicts between corporate and the store, low hours. The management has a lot of trouble communicating with employees and each other. Corporate makes changes that don't make any sense in our store and cause people to leave. No one takes their job seriously, which can be frustrating. Its just overall an unorganized store. There's always a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings clearly aren't working, and the new policys make it 10x worse.

Worst Job Ever

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

Prosthey work with your availability
    get paid every Friday
    employee discount

ConsI have to work every weekend, they work me way too many hours and I'm only part-time, my co-workers like to boss me around, the store is always a wreck, rude customers, you basically have to kill yourself for minimum wage, half of the customers don't speak English

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was hired on spot I thought that this was going to be the best job ever but it's not! This is the worse job I've ever had and I don't recommend it to anyone! Whenever I page a CSS, sometimes they act like they don't want to help me. I wasn't trained that well so I had to learn everything on my own. The store is always a mess and the customers make it worse. I'm always working weekends, I understand that it's a retail job but I do have a life and I may want to spend the weekends with my family. I had to work on Mother's Day and Father's Day and I work way too many hours. I have a few co-workers who like to boss me around, they are not my boss. Whenever I mess something up I get yelled at and I'm just sick of the job. My advice, is if you want to keep your employees, there's got to be a few changes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ASM

ASM (Former Employee)
    Riverside, CA

ProsThe employee once you get to know them and understand what they canning can't do with some debris to work with. If you're with them and their fair with you.

Cons*Managers working opinion and not fat they work by promoting their friends and not the best person for the position. On this opinion they need to work you out of your job, to promote move up the person that they have in mind to move out whether not they actually have the experience to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvanced and is only who you know not how well you can do the job. I feel that other management and corporate doesn't understand what the other management of the store is doing. Without people inside the stores to check with the managers are doing to other employees and other managers no one knows what's going. I personally feel strong that Burlington Coat Factory is a good company but the more eyes on the stores.

Manager

Assistant Merchandise Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWork life balance
    Personal growth
    Promotions
    Training
    Great atmosphere
    Values
    Benefits

ConsThey run on skeleton crew,
    not enough payroll
    Compensation
    Not appreciation from Rms
    Time off policies

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your best managers, and give credit when credit is due

First Job. It was fun because it was so unorganized.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsFun people, variety of customers, employee discounts, flexible hours

ConsUnorganized management, high turnover rate among employees as well as management,

BCF is a great, friendly place to work.

Recieving Associate (Current Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsQuick growth and promotion. If you work hard, stay positive, and be consistent, you'll get promoted in no time.

ConsNot great pay, but the amount of hours make up for that.

Met some great customers

CSA (Former Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsHad a great time employed there...

Conspay not sufficient for the work put in..

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more on the hour.

Coat Factory Interview

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI was offered the job applied online called the store to check my status and was able to set up an interview for the next day, was offered a job at the end of it all only took it cause I really need the money.

ConsI came in early to and interview and was told to still wait, then once I got inside the interview a few works complained about their checks, I had gotten to the interview 15mins early and didn't get interviewed into 45 mins later once I did get interviewed the lady told me to walk around the store and wait for the other manger to arrive, I walked around the store for about an hour until I was seen by the next manager, the interview process was very unprofessional and unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more organized with the interview process

Bcf

Loss Prevention Associate (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsWork friendly very adjustable comapny has core vaules

ConsNone at all very great

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits and a awesome growing company

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burlington Coat Factory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Burlington Coat Factory CEO Tom Kingsbury. All 403 reviews posted anonymously by Burlington Coat Factory employees.