Burlington Coat Factory

Updated September 18, 2014
2.5

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • yearly wage, work life balance, training for position was satisfactory, reasonable and abtainable metrics (in 7 reviews)

• Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, but once the minimum wage went up our wages were not adjusted (in 29 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Disorganized, daily changes and poor quality of stores/work environment

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Good place to learn apparel merchandising

Cons

-Terrible senior and regional management.
    -Each division has their own agenda (LP, HR, Merchandising, Operations, etc).
    -Does not care about their customers or sales floor/front end staffing standards. (Will pour all money into stock room and receiving areas, and absolutely ignore lack of cashiers and sales floor staffing, yet turn around and "blast" stores for having poor customer service survey results and destroyed areas on the floor).
    -Owned by re-sale investors (Bain), so an extremely obvious "we only care about today and this weeks numbers" mentality
    -Ridiculous "everyone on the weekends, nobody on weekdays" mentality. (will actually sail into stores for not having every single suggested weekend hour covered, but is oblivious to the fact that the stores are being destroyed during the week and heading into these "ever so important" weekends in poor conditions)
    -Pays hourly associates minimum wage (i.e. you get what you pay for as far as
    -Somehow counts sick, personal and vacation time for hourly associates towards payroll (non-productive labor hours), so call outs and planned time off leaves areas unstaffed.
    -As tough as payroll is in retail, Burlington is even worse (3 to 4 openers, 5 or 6 closing associates including cashiers in 80,000+ square foot stores).
    -Unmanageable workload with very little resources to achieve goals.
    -Disgusting clientele (discount model draws the worst of the worst as far as customers go)
    -Equipment, computers, internet connection, etc. constantly breaking down or inoperable causing delays and incompletion in workload.
    -Company mandates planning strategies, yet will change payroll, projects and previously stated objectives on an almost daily basis.

There is a reason that almost every store in the entire company looks terrible on a daily basis. Stop using "we are a publicly traded company now" as an excuse to keep payroll and resources as a bare minimum. Having a heart attack about stores being 20 or 30 dollars (yes, this company still uses dollars, not hours in payroll figures) over a week in payroll, versus the tens of thousands in sales being lost with awful sales floor standards is mind-boggling. People need to be in stores, and in proper ratio to workload and customer service to achieve and maintain an acceptable store environment. What you are doing as a company is only appeasing shareholders right now and unfortunately will hurt you in the long run.

BAD COMPANY

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

none (slave drivers). Nothing good about this company trust me on that.

Cons

worse company to work for. Upper management don't know what they are doing.

None they would not listen any way.

Too many Chiefs

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Low prices and 25% discount certain times of the year. Good merchandise. Easy to shop. Nice shoe selection. Layaway nice option.

Cons

Gotta be in the clique to get ahead. Not enough visits by upper management. Has to do my job and the operations manager job. He didn't even know how to make a schedule after working there 3 years.

Look for yourself not go on hearsay or who judgement you think you can trust.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away!!

Former Employee - Receiving Associate  in  Eynon, PA
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Eynon, PA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros are they give you a nice scheduled break, that's all I can think of.

Cons

Completely unprofessional staff, terrible pay (7.25), they will have no problem ripping you off pay if they don't give you a time card. Stay away from this place!

A learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Akron, OH

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

The merchandise is always nice and of good quality. The people can sometimes be enjoyable, but that's with any retail job. Friendly coworkers. Depends on location.

Cons

I Wasn't properly trained. Luckily my coworkers were nice enough to help me, but that only went so far. Bad management. Having multiple managers was a challenge since on more than one occasion they'd get their wires crossed. Sometimes unprofessional work environment. A lot of gossip. Absolutely no customer service from the employees which really shocked me. terrible employee discount 10%. Not properly staffed. A lot of cleaning up constantly and an Extremely high turn over rate for both employees and manager

Rotten to the CORE!!!!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Chelsea, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Chelsea, NY

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In the past Burlington Coat Factory was a great place to work and establish a wonderful career. This was when the company was family own and cared about individuals.

Cons

This company is rotten to the core. The core values of TRUST and RESPECT, BUILD TEAMS and PARTNERSHIPS are only practiced during the corporate store visits performances. How does a company allow the store manager to achieve pleasure in targeting individuals for self satisfaction to create nothing but pain and sorrow? When a store manager is able to smile rubbing he/she's hands together and humorously stating another one down on the list? "-Witch hunts" - Why should the acquaintances of the targeted employee suffer from daily harassment due to the fact that they simply associate with the targeted employee? How does a company allow the store manager to purposely keep members of the team out of the loop? Why has there been numerous complaints about this behavior which has been swept under the rug? Why is it that human resources are aware of these complaints and has not spoken to one individual to reconcile the issue? Why is it that the company allows one individual to judge a persons trust and respect amongst the team and allows that one person to speak on behave of the team? Why is it allowed that, individuals and the entire store should be afraid of their store manager and always fearful of their jobs? There is never any positive interactions unless their is a corporate visit, which then everyone puts on a fake smile.

I would recommend to family members and friends to never seek employment with this company. I would also recommend to family members and friends to never shop with this company. Shame on the CEO of BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY for either passing down this directive or even more shame, not being aware of the reality in the stores.

Amazing

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Flexible with sick, personal, and vacation days.

Cons

Schedule is changed on a daily basis.

Get a life

Stay away

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice fellow co-workers-10% employee discount which becomes 25% during certain times of the year-not much else is good about working here,

Cons

This place only hires part time with no benefits yet you will work your butt off. They have a skeleton crew which means you are usually the only cashier or sales associate on the entire floor. People call in sick or don't even bother to show up yet they are still employed there. Company has a "point" system-you get a half a point for every time you are late and 1 point for calling in sick on a weekday and 2 for a weekend day. If you're really sick come to work anyway and stay for at least a half an hour so you don't receive any points. Meanwhile you are exposing your customers and fellow employees to whatever illness you might have.

Was told they are fair with the closing hours but they aren't. Seems the same people always close. If you want time off you have to put it in the system at least 3 weeks ahead of the day. No time off during the holidays and everyone has to work the weekends.

The store closes at 9:30 (you stay until 10 most nights for "recovery") every day regardless of the time the mall closes. So that means if the mall closes at 6 on Sunday you are still stuck at work until the manager releases you.

The only nice part of the job are the co-workers.

I would NEVER work this job AGAIN!! No stars if possible!

Current Employee - Merchandise Team Associate  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Sometimes your coworkers & customers & getting paid every week. That's it.

Cons

BIG LACK OF COMMUNICATION
    Under Staffed
    Over worked
    There's no real training process they throw yu off on somebody who could only be working there for a few wks
    Managers ALL told me something different from the last manager ALL saying this is store policy.
    I was lied on by a manager, threatened to be fired on somethin HE told me to do.
    (Word of advice when you read these reviews by other Ppl they are not lying at all, you won't know or understand till you get the job but this store has really gone down hill.)

Just close Burlington the new management sucks. The store isn't the same at all. Get better managers that knw what their doing! & take the time to show them the information they need to do their job correctly!

My experiance at Burlington Coat Factory wasnt the best.The management was horrible and unorganized.

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Time went by fast because we were so busy. I got to do stocking from time to time. I also had a friendly relationship with everyone.

Cons

The management made it a horrible experiance for me and someother as well. The schedule was flip flopped entirely too much.

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!