Burlington Coat Factory

Burlington Coat Factory Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury

Tom Kingsbury

Pros:
  • "Mostly flexible schedule, co-workers are friendly"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "People slack a lot while others bust their butts for minimum wage"
    in 27 reviews
  • "No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

very poor pay

MTA (Former Employee)
    South Portland, ME

Prosyou meet really nice people

Consnot enough pay and the shifts are not long enough.

if you want to be treated like you're nothing, then go for it!

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Burbank, CA

Prosflexibility and coworkers are great.

Consinsulting pay rate and hours. you can be one of the best workers and still be treated like you're nothing. probably won't ever be promoted unless you're a "favorite" and you must always do what you're asked with out question or your hours will be cut. (training and cleaning disgusting bathrooms for $8 an hour is not in my job description!!!)

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within! We're working our butts off to be slapped in the face with new hires (who we have to train!!!) that are given better pay / hours / and positions when obviously associates who have a clear understanding of the company and how things work are better fitted.

you call those managers...what a joke

Retail Management (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsRegional Management Team spends time getting to know the employees names, and were beyond friendly and smart.
    growing company with some opportunities if the right LEADERSHIP team is selected.

Cons- unfair expectations to Drive customer service when no-one cares and only is delivered at the cash-wraps,
    - associates and department managers were on the cellphones and ignoring all customer interactions.
    - too many hours working and no structure to plan, delegate, and follow up.
    - managers have personal agendas, and lots of favoritism, if they like you, or you do what they want you get to do nothing and personal favors. (you do for me, I do for you)
    - Management held back important information from all regional managers

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional Managers need to have an HR representative spend lots of time in the stores and evaluate the current staff for policy and procedures, training and development, and management training on Leader On Duty Trainings and how to DRIVE SALES.
    store manager needs to be a LEADER not manage by favoritism.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Welcome to Burlington: The black hole

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Watertown, NY

ProsI have been working for Burlington for nearly 5 years now. I was first hired as a seasonal employee for the holidays but later offered a part time position. I have worked at both customer service, as a cashier and as a supervisor, and also have worked on the floor as a sales associate. Even though I swear this company only hires strange people, I have met some of the best people while working at BCF. That has been the only reason I continue to work for this company.

ConsThe company has a lot of serious flaws to its system, inside and out. Most of the management sucks at my location. They waste their days gossiping or sitting in the managers office. They wait until the day before a corporate visit to finally try to do their jobs. Corporate complains of high turnover rates, but never take the time to talk to the actual hard working employees of their company. Our pay raises are affected by how many people steal from our store, which has no loss prevention, making this loss somehow our faults. They are also affected by the sales of the company which is somehow my fault as well? They score you on a scale of 1-5, making sure to give out a certain amount of 1 ' s and 2 ' s which some do not deserve, so that they do not get a raise. Oh and they won't allow us to talk about such things including our pay to avoid people from finding out about their unfair system in choosing wages. Before minimum wage went up this January in my state I was making about 75 cents over minimum wage, but once the minimum wage went up our wages were not adjusted. So after almost 5 years with the company I am making minimum wage again. As others have mentioned their computer systems are severely outdated. NJO is a dinosaur system used to look up products but is unbearably complicated so most people don't know how to use it making for longer wait times for customers. Burlington is constantly cutting hours and yet don't understand why customers complain that the stores are constantly trashed. On a given day there may only be one person working a 6 hour shift in a huge department such as sportswear making our jobs more stressful than they already are. The company expects way too much out of it's employees and yet wonders why so many of them quit. There is often a lack of cleaners, forcing the employees to clean the filthy bathrooms. There are many unfair practices at this company forcing hard workers to feel unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is more towards the corporate offices which really decide everything for the company. Give employees a fair competitive pay. Do more to hear their opinions and not just management. Don't just do some bogus survey and then never even do anything about the negative feedback. All we want is to feel like we are important to the company and not someone who can be easily replaced.

Poorly run

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Brick, NJ

ProsHours were flexible. Coworkers were nice for the most part

ConsStores are always trashed. One employee is expected to clean 3 departments during their shift. Pay is terrible.

Worst company to work for

Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsFree layaway, family discounts, repeat customers

ConsOverworked, Under paid, Unappreciated. A lot of biased people, especially the managers at the Des Moines store. Pay is minimum, they expect all employees to have open availability, even if they have another job or school. Only certain employees would get weekends off, while almost all full-time employees would work every Friday,Saturday and Sunday. If you needed time off you would have to ask 3 weeks in advance. Management doesn't stand up for employees, when it comes to customers belittling them, they will side with customers just to save them from corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees how you want to be treated, especially the ones who work hard. Learn how to talk to new hires. Don't be a corporate puppet!!

A great place to make mininum wage and get minimum hours and still be expected to provide the best customer service.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New London, CT

ProsI've met some great people and sometimes I like to shop there.

ConsThe rate of pay is not attractive. Management is not supportive when it comes to work/life balance; they like to show favoritism as well. Management is extremely unprofessional, reprimanding sbordinates in front of their co-workers, We aren't given enough hours and the opportunities for full-time are very few and far between. Management expects us to follow certain customers around because they are suspected of stealing. I am actively looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice. Listen to your employees and realize that each one has his/her own circumstances and situations with work and life. Be professional and stop acting like teenagers, Be fair. Stop making assumptions about customers. Be consistent.

Stressful!

Management (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat people, especially 10 plus year employees. Fast pace.

ConsNot enough floor help for customer service. Senior RVP very arrogant. Poor business is directed to management in the store, not the decision makers at the top who think they know all.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those in the store that have to hear and deal with customers wants, not what you think you know.
    A cake is not a raise.

Untrustworthy company

Merchandise Team Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsDiscounts an fellow Co workers..management is horrible

ConsManagers gossip,high turn over,horrible parking

Advice to Senior ManagementCome check in on your employees more,give reasonable raises,praise them for thier hard work..it's too much gossiping and not enough loyalty

Stay away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe has an abundance of opportunity for improvement. However, I enjoyed working with the public and most of the employees. The only real pro of working with this company is having the ability to see new merchandise as it is being received.

ConsBurlington had the lowest employee moral than any company I worked for. The regional team walk stores several times each month, with each member giving conflicting directions. Yet this same regional team main issue for store improvement was for managers to have great communication and provide a united front. Regional team is quick to throw you under the bus for direction they give when store is walked by their manager team. Very aggressive and out dated management style. Labor based on a flex plan that consistently reduced labor dollar, but task increased drastically.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnder cover boss, would be a good start to observe an abundance of violations. Hint, the manager that hired me, warned me to stay away. I should have done so. Review the regional team and how you operate. Otherwise the company will continue to decline in sales and operate like the Baton Rouge store.

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burlington Coat Factory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Burlington Coat Factory CEO Tom Kingsbury. All 403 reviews posted anonymously by Burlington Coat Factory employees.