Burlington Coat Factory

655 reviews filtered by
2.5
Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 13 reviews)

• the flexible hours were flexible and it was fair balancing of work and personal life (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Before minimum wage went up this January in my state I was making about 75 cents over (in 37 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

1. DO NOT WORK HERE !

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We got paid every Friday. I like getting paid every Friday instead of bi-weekly. You actually feel like you see your money. Other than that there are no good things I could say about this place.

Cons

Long hours, minimum wage, lunch break is only 30 minutes long no matter how many hours you work, management is lazy, turn over rate is AWFUL.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans and with respect. We have lives too and the fact that they demand us to come in whenever they want us to without us being on the schedule that day is rude and disrespectful.

2. Receiving

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Greensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Greensburg, PA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get payed every week in stead of every two and the receiving/ merch supervuser is the best

Cons

Schedule is always changing and if they have extra hours expect to stay no matter what they get mad if you don't and they only care that show up and what they need even if it effects outside of work

Advice to Management

Needs a lot of help with communications with there employees

3. Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Long lunches and breaks and great coworkers

Cons

Cheap, poorly managed, lack of hours, poor coverage, and minimum pay

Advice to Management

Management needs to communicate better with each other and employees. Managers need to back up the employees when it comes to store policies and helping customers. The store is large and we have poor coverage almost daily because not enough people are on the floor or behind the registers and there are plenty of employees so this should not be a problem. Knowing that we don't have enough coverage and still giving out minimum hours to employees and when we ask for more hours telling us to come in when called makes no sense we can't just sit around on the days off hoping we get a phone call and some people have other things that need to be planned accordingly around a work schedule so we cant just drop everything when we are called.Several of the managers are very rude and talk down to employees as though they are children and it is extremely degrading especially when done in front of customers or other employees. They focus so much on customer service but when you're getting treated like you could be fired at any minute over something small it isn't exactly motivation to want to be friendly because we are so focused on getting a lot done in order to keep our jobs.

5. Merchandising Associate

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's just a job and you get paid just like any other job.

Cons

Low pay rate, not enough for how hard you work.
    Rude employees and managers.
    Even though I'm in merchandising they schedule me to work on the sales floor all the time when that was not what I was hired for.
    They don't care about your personal health and wellbeing they just want you there to work.
    Lots of work injuries.
    Horrible management.
    Always have a miscommunication with the store boss and the managers.
    They don't want to hear about your excuses even if it's real and you can't be there or do something for them.
    Mistreating of certain employees.
    They favor people and to those who they don't like much they would give a crap load of work for them to do.
    Managers walk around doing nothing but yet get paid more than the people who work hard all day.
    They expect you to greet customers but yet they don't even do it.
    Suck at scheduling because I don't always know my schedule by the end of the week.
    They expect too much from you, the day that I was schedule to work in my area I was the only one there whenever I usually work with a team. They get disappointed when I don't accomplish much that day, well it's there fault for scheduling me on a day my team don't work.

Advice to Management

Understand your employees and don't favor one over the other. Know that we are human and not a working machine where you can tell us to do many things at once. Fix your scheduling please it's a hassle to always call to ask if I work that day.

6. Customer service supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Discount only nothing else to say would rate a negative if I could

Cons

East side of Indianapolis is awful Everything from training to management crew to organization of this facility to everything worst experience in my life with a company especially a place I've always enjoyed and loved but this store sucks so bad it should be shut down. You know it's a bad place when customers ask are we closing because the store so empty. Absolutely disorganized. One person on a register all day even during busy time it's sad just sad.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to come see thier facility and how awful it is not employees but customers. Every week someone is quitting cause it's that bad of a place to work don't believe me stop by and see DONT call just pop up youll see for yourself

7. Treats employees awful

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

None and None and none

Cons

They show favoritism , treat employees like garbage. They constantly hire yet don't give hours to exsisting employees . Equipment faulty , managers rude even yelling at employees to work faster.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees better , you're losing good employees who seek employment elsewhere due to never getting hours and reasonable pay .

8. Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Good merchandise and good prices

Cons

I applied for a full time position however I was given part-time hours of 15hrs my first week. On my second week I was given 6 hours for 2 days. I had appointment on one my schedule days. I spoke with a manager 2 day prior to that and was told he can't help me I should figure it out. I called 5 time with no response. I went to my appointment and on my next schedule day I was advised that I abandoned my job. I love retail but this brief experience has really made me aware of the rudeness of some store management personnel. I would not recommend this store to anyone.

Advice to Management

Be respectful to your staff. We are human also

Unbelievable disrespect

Current Employee - Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

This is a hard one...

Cons

Eveything I didn't mention in pros and there is absolutely no growth potential. The company gives job offers on the spot so you can imagine what your co-workers are like when you work for BCF. Management is nasty.

Advice to Management

Stop the belittling and disrespect because most of you are just as bad. Management will stab you right in the back

10. Management was bad.

Former Employee - Stocker in Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Former Employee - Stocker in Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had great coworkers, great holiday hours, and they started me at a lil above minimum wage which is nice. The store manager was nice and understanding.

Cons

Management from the assistant managers was horrible. They expected the new people to just know what to do. No matter how hard I worked they never had anything positive to say.

Advice to Management

You need to recognize those who work hard.

11. Not good to employees

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Great discount, friendly co workers. There is a great value in the clothing and product they sell.

Cons

Not enough payroll to support the needs of the store. Too little employees to clean and recover the building.

Advice to Management

Get real expectations. Focus on people development and employee engagement.

Burlington Coat Factory Photos