Burlington Coat Factory

Updated October 19, 2014
2.5

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 13 reviews)

• Mostly flexible schedule, co-workers are friendly (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, but once the minimum wage went up our wages were not adjusted (in 34 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

interning in buying

Current Employee - Buying Intern in Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - Buying Intern in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Market visits, vendor relations, real world work

Cons

I do not really have anything bad to say about this experience

Stay away!!

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Eynon, PA
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Eynon, PA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros are they give you a nice scheduled break, that's all I can think of.

Cons

Completely unprofessional staff, terrible pay (7.25), they will have no problem ripping you off pay if they don't give you a time card. Stay away from this place!

A learning experience

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Akron, OH

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The merchandise is always nice and of good quality. The people can sometimes be enjoyable, but that's with any retail job. Friendly coworkers. Depends on location.

Cons

I Wasn't properly trained. Luckily my coworkers were nice enough to help me, but that only went so far. Bad management. Having multiple managers was a challenge since on more than one occasion they'd get their wires crossed. Sometimes unprofessional work environment. A lot of gossip. Absolutely no customer service from the employees which really shocked me. terrible employee discount 10%. Not properly staffed. A lot of cleaning up constantly and an Extremely high turn over rate for both employees and manager

Rotten to the CORE!!!!

Former Employee - Manager in Chelsea, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Chelsea, NY

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the past Burlington Coat Factory was a great place to work and establish a wonderful career. This was when the company was family own and cared about individuals.

Cons

This company is rotten to the core. The core values of TRUST and RESPECT, BUILD TEAMS and PARTNERSHIPS are only practiced during the corporate store visits performances. How does a company allow the store manager to achieve pleasure in targeting individuals for self satisfaction to create nothing but pain and sorrow? When a store manager is able to smile rubbing he/she's hands together and humorously stating another one down on the list? "-Witch hunts" - Why should the acquaintances of the targeted employee suffer from daily harassment due to the fact that they simply associate with the targeted employee? How does a company allow the store manager to purposely keep members of the team out of the loop? Why has there been numerous complaints about this behavior which has been swept under the rug? Why is it that human resources are aware of these complaints and has not spoken to one individual to reconcile the issue? Why is it that the company allows one individual to judge a persons trust and respect amongst the team and allows that one person to speak on behave of the team? Why is it allowed that, individuals and the entire store should be afraid of their store manager and always fearful of their jobs? There is never any positive interactions unless their is a corporate visit, which then everyone puts on a fake smile.

I would recommend to family members and friends to never seek employment with this company. I would also recommend to family members and friends to never shop with this company. Shame on the CEO of BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY for either passing down this directive or even more shame, not being aware of the reality in the stores.

A good "first" job experience, but not something for the long run.

Current Employee - Receiving Associate
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (more than an year)

Pros

While being a production based job, it was fun working in Receiving. Get to interact with interesting people, makes the day go by quickly.

There's limited customer contact, which is good, since they're usually crabby for no reason.

Work is easy enough, you just have to be quick.

Get paid every Friday.

If there's enough work, you could end up getting near 40 hour work weeks consistently, which is nice if you're only Part time.

Cons

It's apparent at my store that Receiving are the only ones who have to have any kind of quota or standards. We went from being able to talk while we work/listen to music to not being able to do either. Meanwhile, Merch. team is allowed to listen to music/talk while on the Sales Floor with the store being open. Between this decision and others, I can honestly say my morale has been fully killed off.

Managers are God-awful for the most part, you get people who have no business being in any kind of position of power (Like having their employees have to train them) to people who speak English about as well as they understand it (Not well) We're constantly told how "this one store" or "this Corporate person" has this magical solution to help our productivity and it always turns out that it's not much different than anything we've tried before. They keep making arbitrary changes, depending on what the Store Manager's mood is. I will say, we do have a couple of Managers that are down to Earth people, that I honestly can't complain about.

The training is bad, you're basically just thrown in, we the "veterans" (as in, low level employees) are expected to train ALL the new Receivers that come in, as to ease the load on the Managers. People get told one thing and then another completely different thing, communication is pretty bad.

I could go on and on, like how instead of scheduling Receiving on Fridays (We don't get a truck delivery on Fridays) to process backlogged freight, they schedule just two of us on a Weekend day, and then drag one of us away to go... count carts before the store opens. Just to give you an idea of the kind of "sense of urgency" and priorities the Managers have around here.

I would say, if your Supervisors are responsible for any incompetent employees, and can therefore be disciplined or fired, then your Managers are responsible for the Supervisors and should be held to the same standards.

Amazing

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Flexible with sick, personal, and vacation days.

Cons

Schedule is changed on a daily basis.

Get a life

Stay away

Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice fellow co-workers-10% employee discount which becomes 25% during certain times of the year-not much else is good about working here,

Cons

This place only hires part time with no benefits yet you will work your butt off. They have a skeleton crew which means you are usually the only cashier or sales associate on the entire floor. People call in sick or don't even bother to show up yet they are still employed there. Company has a "point" system-you get a half a point for every time you are late and 1 point for calling in sick on a weekday and 2 for a weekend day. If you're really sick come to work anyway and stay for at least a half an hour so you don't receive any points. Meanwhile you are exposing your customers and fellow employees to whatever illness you might have.

Was told they are fair with the closing hours but they aren't. Seems the same people always close. If you want time off you have to put it in the system at least 3 weeks ahead of the day. No time off during the holidays and everyone has to work the weekends.

The store closes at 9:30 (you stay until 10 most nights for "recovery") every day regardless of the time the mall closes. So that means if the mall closes at 6 on Sunday you are still stuck at work until the manager releases you.

The only nice part of the job are the co-workers.

I would NEVER work this job AGAIN!! No stars if possible!

Current Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sometimes your coworkers & customers & getting paid every week. That's it.

Cons

BIG LACK OF COMMUNICATION
    Under Staffed
    Over worked
    There's no real training process they throw yu off on somebody who could only be working there for a few wks
    Managers ALL told me something different from the last manager ALL saying this is store policy.
    I was lied on by a manager, threatened to be fired on somethin HE told me to do.
    (Word of advice when you read these reviews by other Ppl they are not lying at all, you won't know or understand till you get the job but this store has really gone down hill.)

Just close Burlington the new management sucks. The store isn't the same at all. Get better managers that knw what their doing! & take the time to show them the information they need to do their job correctly!

My experiance at Burlington Coat Factory wasnt the best.The management was horrible and unorganized.

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

Time went by fast because we were so busy. I got to do stocking from time to time. I also had a friendly relationship with everyone.

Cons

The management made it a horrible experiance for me and someother as well. The schedule was flip flopped entirely too much.

By far the worst place I have ever worked at in all my years in retail.

Current Employee - "Customer Service Supervisor" in Chelsea, NY
    Current Employee - "Customer Service Supervisor" in Chelsea, NY

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount and clothes are nice for the most part. Other than that I see no pros in that place.

Cons

I was hired as a supervisor however I was only given 2 days to work per week and was never trained for the job, I was basically a cashier. There is no communication, you call for your schedule the phone continuously rings or you get transferred around to everyone but who you are calling for. There is also what is called a point system under 90 days if you do a no call no show you automatically get the 4 points and will be terminated. I called in spoke with the STORE MANAGER to let her know I wouldn't be able to make it in for that shift. The next day I called for my schedule for the following week and was told I was not on the schedule because I did a "no call no show" and "quit" without anyone doing a follow up to find out if that was the case. The supervisor said he would get back to me about my schedule, never did and went on vacation.

Get a better training format for new associates and supervisors and train everyone how to use the phone professionally.

Burlington Coat Factory Photos