Burlington Coat Factory

Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 13 reviews)

• the flexible hours were flexible and it was fair balancing of work and personal life (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Before minimum wage went up this January in my state I was making about 75 cents over (in 37 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

burlington

Former Employee - Receiving/Cashier in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Receiving/Cashier in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

harder you work more hours you gain

Cons

very unprofessional needs to tighten management

run the store more smooth

Good place to work. Sometimes frustrating.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are good. Environment lax at times.

Cons

Stressful expectations with poor resources.

We always hope that it will get better, but it never does.

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

cheap cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap

Cons

cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap

Stop being so cheap

Never again!

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory

Pros

None. The most I can say I am thankful for is the ability to put management on my resume and to have learned everything to NOT do if I move into upper management.

Cons

Although the company itself was good, the store I was working in was completely mismanaged. There were numerous harassment issues from my upper management and a serious lack of concern for employee safety. After a manager was mugged in the parking lot, I personally was threatened with physical violence by numerous customers and multiple safety protocols were violated, NOTHING was done by my store management to prevent further issues.

The entire store needs to be revamped.

Rush,rush,rush...and do these two things at once. And when your done, clean the bathroom!

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Laredo, TX
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Laredo, TX

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

20%-25%off on certain days, on everthing in store to help make room for new mercedes (old stuff that other stores couldn't sell) this is not really a pro, but i guess 20-25% off of any thing is still better then having to pay full price for "hand me downs"

Cons

Everday is something new "A New Corner to Cut"/ "Penny-to-Pinch" overworked, underpaid, and only 20hr a week part time. Having to get done in 4hrs, what used to take 8hrs. And dont forget to rush,rush,rush. And when your done with everything, dont forget to clean the bathroom.

Stop changing the work flow twice a day. Having to set-up to work on somthing, just to be told to tair it all down and start on something else is a complete waste of time. To be constantly asked for status updates, to be constantly told to "hurry" because "We" have a dead line to meet, is really demotivating. And shows a complete lack of trust in all employees. We dont need someone to hold our hand, and we also dont need to be spoken down to or belittled by your rude and misguided words. Quick exp.
    Hey, (Store Managers Name) does this item go in that department?
    (Store Manager): I Don't know! Does it go in that department!?!

If "We" have a daily deadline to meet, well that aditude really isn't helping you or me.

Steer Clear!!!!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing is a pro in this store

Cons

Leadership is non-exsistent.
    Works you to death
    Pays close to nothing not a livable wage.

Feeks like i was in high school

Former Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Team Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay,hours, people i worked with

Cons

management was horrible and unorganized

think about employees and be more professional

Bad management

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Chelsea, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Chelsea, NY

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible, nice clothes, friendly cashiers,

Cons

The managers are horrible. They insult the workers, cooperate needs to step in. It like you can't let now other manager or supervisor know how bad one is talking to you. I worked there, you can't leave at the time your suppose to leave. The workers work hard. Management needs training. One supervisor was telling us how to speak with customers, but later on you see him acting like a street thug in front of customers. Another supervisor was talking about her dates in front of management. Another was threatening a employee , saying "oh if you leave you will be terminated, mind you , she was off the clock already . They need new management and supervisors . Oh and from what the supervisors have told me, no one is allowed to speak to the store owner. OMG!! Cooperate needs to fix this. Plus the store basement is a health and risk factor .

Change your supervisors,!! Watch them! They are beyond rude!

Bad Experience ever

Current Employee - Markdown Associate in Rego Park, NY
    Current Employee - Markdown Associate in Rego Park, NY

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

At least breaks were fine

Cons

Poor and unorganized management,
    poor salary

Not a company I would ever work for again or recommend !

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Burlington, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Burlington, NJ

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Ok Benefits and 401k offering
    - relaxed dress in Burlington, NJ corporate office
    -great training for Assistant Buyers
    -ok place to get the foundation and confidence of buying

Cons

- most buyers are lazy and depend too much on their assistants to be slave.
    -The buyer I worked for did the bare minimum of work, her business (An are in baby) was terrible and down regularly. She was not penalized for lack of performance instead blamed her assistant for all of her issues.
    - terrible work environment: too much finger pointing, unfair promotions to the non deserving, people are unfairly fired regularly
    -THIS COMPANY IS A REVOLVING DOOR
    - little to no communication between upper management and merchants and not enough communication between planning, allocations, and merchant.
    - long hours and they not appreciated
    -lunch breaks in the office were monitored by direct reports very closely
    -HR CAN NOT BE TRUSTED : if you go to Hr about any issues or concerns no matter what they say it is getting back to your direct report
    -overall the company was a good place in the beginning but it turned into a cancerous virus for me personally quickly.

Start requiring all buyers to work closely with their assistants and not just have their assistant buyers doing their jobs for them. The upper management in HR needs to be fired, they do practice standard HR policies and are not able to be trusted by there employees. Overall there were a number of people who work for the company that need to be reevaluated for performance before anymore assistants are lost due to horrible buyers running them out of the office.

Burlington Coat Factory Photos