Burlington Coat Factory

Updated September 18, 2014
2.5

Burlington Coat Factory President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
  • yearly wage, work life balance, training for position was satisfactory, reasonable and abtainable metrics (in 7 reviews)

• Great deals offered on products sold and the employee discount for these products (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • minimum wage, but once the minimum wage went up our wages were not adjusted (in 29 reviews)

• No appropriate work/life balance - people that create their own are penalized (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Dissatisfied - Wouldn't Reccomend

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate  in  Westland, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Westland, MI

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the staff were friendly. Associate discount day was nice. Got paid weekly. Staff can be laid back.

Cons

Minimum wage. Way under-staffed for each department. Can be too stressful. Some very unprofessional management. Customers were very messy and hard to pick up after- floor/fitting room. If you work as a cashier, it can be never ending sometimes and you don't get to chose when to take a break, they tell you. You can make more and have a less stressful job somewhere else. Management wasn't very friendly. Workers aren't very diverse.

Hire more people to the departments. Give raises to each worker? Recovery shouldn't be a plastic bin. Clothes should be hung not thrown into a plastic bin. Departments need to be separated. When workers want a day off, there should be a simple form to fill out. Training needs to be better. Have more cashiers and let then decide when to take a break as long as it's not all at once. Don't make workers stay later than they have to. Be more friendly.

It was too many responsibilities and poor pay.

Former Employee - Cashier, Sales Associate  in  West Allis, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier, Sales Associate in West Allis, WI

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best things were making friends. Most of my co-workers were nice. My GM was also very nice-to me, at least.

Cons

Too many responsibilities for its minimum wage pay.

Upper management need to pay more and divide the responsibilities with more than one person per department. That will make employees more productive. They also need more than a 10% discount. Other retailers give 20% discount to their workers. I would have stayed and made a career from there but it was too much. Despite the smiles I displayed to customers, I was miserable inside, especially when I know I am a great worker. I received many great compliments from management, co-workers, and customers. I was trained in other areas within 2 weeks of hire. I also like shopping there- I still shop their sometimes.

It was ups and downs like any employer, but my last year I was there was a total nightmare.

Current Employee - Inventory Analyst  in  Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - Inventory Analyst in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I had good managers when I started and up until the last year I was there. When I got promoted I had a manager who supported and believed in my talent. We were two peas in a pod. I performed well because they were good people in power who believed in my strengths. Burlington does have those people but sadly in the cons I will go into the last year I was there which is sadly the direction I'm hearing Burlington is headed.

Cons

Some managers and supervisors are obsessed with pecking order and bullying lower ranked employees. They are on a power trip and that's not the way to manage your team. Everyone should be valued and their opinions respected, no matter title. Until Burlington gets that bureaucracy isn't the way to get things done for the business, they will still have problems with turnover. I was a very friendly guy and got along with everyone, except the boss I had the last year I was there, for confidentiality I'll call her Mabel. Mabel used her title as a weapon and bullied and belittled others that tried to honestly present the business and tell her that her views on her area need to be changed. These people like Mabel need to be held accountable for their actions, but Burlington will never see the light on that. There are supportive managers there but sadly the bullies, like Mabel, are being brought in and it's changing the environment for the worse.

Treat your allocators and Inventory Analysts with some respect. We know our industry and we have valued opinions. There are too many managers there who are bullies and intimidate and manipulate others. So many people leave because now you have too many higher ups who don't listen to others and only believe in subjugating and punishing people for having opinions and independent thoughts. Respect people who think outside the box and who are honest and have integrity and are willing to speak the truth no matter if it hurts somebody's sensitive ego.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always something to do!

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the staff I worked with, turnover seemed a little high. There were always great deals for our shoppers, but there was always theft!!! I only worked for Burlington for 1 year and had to resign do to some medical issues I had at the time. I think that if I would have stayed, I would of been a Store Manager within the next year.

Cons

Management couldn't make any HR decisions. You always had to contact corporate and ask what should be done, wait for a response, then execute once direction is given. When your a manager you should be able to think for yourself and make the correct judgement for your store instead of waiting for someone else to pull your strings!

Loved the company, but felt as if corporate was almost too involved in the everyday employee happenings! Also felt that our hands were tied in the merchandising aspect of running a store, I think the company would benefit by letting it's managers have more control of their own merchandise and displays!

I wouldnt mind goin back to burlington

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Even tho all positions was part-time, you got full-time hours. Friendly supervisor, moved from the baby depot associate to the customer service desk supervisor in less then a month

Cons

Some of the girls that worked here walked around like they was queen elizabeth like we all dont make the same amount, store was always a mess and disorganized, loss prevention SUCKED, manager never left the upstairs office,

Great place to Learn

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner  in  Burlington, NJ
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Burlington, NJ

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn allot--good "school" to learn and move on

Cons

LOW pay. better off leaving and then appling from out side to make more money on a promotion

to keep your developed talent--pay better when promoting

Was very hard working in a department that is ment to be a two person job but they have you doing it all by yourself

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to see all the new stuff first so you can get to items before anyone else

Cons

When you have to work by yourself in a two person department

When a department calls for two people, hire two people to work it & not just one because you see the one can do it all so why hire two when you can save $$$$

Burlington was a great place to work!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Organized, easy to follow merchandising, empowered employees, district staff supportive and energetic. Great training for management. Not a stressful environment, pretty easy going. Customer Service is a priority. Great pay and benefits

Cons

Recruiter and head of HR in region were not very nice people.

Decent part time job for students

Current Employee - Cashier Associate  in  Elizabeth, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Coat Factory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent Hours, helpful managers and supervisors, free food every now and then. Being a cashier isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. The computer practically does all of the work for you. Within a few days you will get the hang of it. Hardest parts of my job are customers with shopping carts filled with items with security tags and items without ANY tags at all. Other then that this is a decent job for any college student lookings to make a little bit of money.

Cons

Rude customers every now and then but that is not a con on the company itself but rather the people who visit. Pay could be slightly better but beggers aren't choosers. CASH HANDLING, is probably the biggest con so far. They take accounting very seriously and will let you know if you are a few cents over or a few cents short. It is better to be over then to be under, trust me. At the end of the night you have to count all of the cash in your register and record it into the computer, print it out and give it to accounting who will verify the numbers to make sure everything is right. You only have to do this if you are closing the store.

My only advice is to have someone with experience shadow the new associates for a few extra days after training so that they don't keep hassling you with a million questions about things that they didn't learn but need to do right then and there

BCF Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Burlington Coat Factory full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good place to work if you can strictly think as a sales associate - you are here to work as one.
    Long good hours, STAY BUSY, get paid every Friday - not bi-weekly.
    Sales great designer products at a good price.
    Donations for coats to the less fortunate.
    Good organization and multitasking skills can be grown and developed working here.

Cons

It can get so busy that you lose track on the other important things like your customers. It can be easy to get side track.
    It's all about the sales and retail.
    If you put or bring anything (emotionally or mentally) to work, it will make you look bad and this is a warning.

Should set a better environment to have your employees not only work better together but get better along.
    Set a system or guideline to better organize the floor layout.
    Better and more efficient scheduling system should be a 'Must-Do' for the company.

Worked for Burlington Coat Factory? Contribute to the Community!