Burnaby School District 41

www.sd41.bc.ca

Burnaby School District 41 Reviews

2.2

CEO

Communication and sharing of information and materials need to be improved.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Burnaby School District 41

Pros

Why do we go into teaching? For kids! Certainly the pleasure and satisfaction of working with students has always been at the top of my list of reasons for teaching. Burnaby has given me lots of opportunities to create new classes and develop new curricula in a variety of settings, and I have had several stellar administrators.

Cons

Lack of communication between the Board Office and schools/ pertinent departments - we could do so much better at sharing information and materials if only we would talk to one another.

I would like to see you at our Department meetings, pressing the flesh and asking questions, being available and human, instead of a name at the Board Office. You get promoted through our ranks for your abilities, but once you're in the Board Office, you disappear from the radar. And please don't do power point presentations with more than 15 slides, and don't use small script that no one can read. And please ditch the overhead projector! It belongs with the Gestetner!

Can be a cold, unfriendly place to work

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Burnaby School District 41 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love working with the kids and some schools have a great community, family, collaborative atmosphere. Hours are great, pay is good and the holidays are well deserved.

Cons

Some schools can be very cold places to work. Some teachers seems stuck in their own little work cliques and refuse to engage with staff outside of their work circle, this is especially tough for new teacher starting out or substitutes. I am also shocked at the way some teachers treat support staff as well, especially EA's on call, I think they deserve more respect for the work they do. Also, the process for applying for postings seems antiquated and based on seniority rather than merit. The education system needs a reality check and some accountability and make sure the teacher who is the best fit and has the best qualifications gets the job. Isn't that how things work in the real world?

Try to connect more with the teachers who are working in trenches, with the kids. Just because you worked your way up from being a teacher and now collecting over $100,000 in tax payer's money doesn't make you that much above us teachers. It would be nice to be acknowledged once in awhile.

On average, not good.

I have been working at Burnaby School District 41

Pros

flexible hours. Good benefits. Good work place.

Cons

Not a place to grow farther. Compensation is not great over a period of time.

Worked for Burnaby School District 41? Contribute to the Community!