Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing

3.9
Bob Williams

1. Excellent experience

Former Intern - Intern in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I developed a stronger interest in marketing, endorsements, social media, and other areas while at Burns. They have a strong reputation in the industry and know a lot of contacts.

Cons

Unpaid, and some days there is not a lot to do. But it is worth it if you really want good experience.

2. Internship - Overall Valuable Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship program will help you get your foot in the door elsewhere. It sucks not getting paid, but it is worth it if you do not have prior experience. Since it is not paid, I would recommend learning as much as you can, and involve yourself in projects across the agency. The full time employees have connections across the industry, so do your best to network.

Cons

Unpaid. Interns have a stricter dress code than employees.

Advice to Management

Do not require that interns dress nicer than employees. If you do not pay them, you have no leverage, so I would recommend loosening up the program.

3. I had a great experience working here because the employees are super friendly and you learn a lot.

Current Intern - Internship in Evanston, IL
    Current Intern - Internship in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn all aspects of their business, which is great to know and make worthwhile connections.

Cons

As an intern you don't get paid, so that sucks. If you do have an internship with them, you really start to understand their business and get comfortable with what you're doing near the end of the internship.

5. Former Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Evanston, IL

Pros

Great coworkers and management who really provide you with an internship experience that gives a ton of hands on work. From day one, you are given responsibilities that are to be met and you are held to the standard of all other employees. After your experience, if you work hard, you will have access to a handful of contacts and connections that are priceless.

Cons

Often there is not the greatest understanding of whats going on with the ongoing campaigns Burns execs are working on. Let interns in on the Monday morning meetings.

6. Interesting

Current Employee - Intern Corp Sales in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Intern Corp Sales in Evanston, IL

Pros

Burns has been a good experience. There have been some downsides and many unanswered questions (I sometimes get the feeling that I should not be asking questions because they are busy and can't be bothered by silly intern questions) but overall, the experience has been fun and it has been good to work directly with a CEO and learn directly from him.

Cons

On the slow days, you might find yourself wondering why you are there except to answer phones. Also, leaving interns out of Monday mOrning meetings leaves them alone to wonder what is being discussed and why they can't be informed of what is being discussed even though sometimes the interns play a vital role to the company.

Advice to Management

Let the interns know exactly what is going on. There have been many employees leave Burns recently and the interns are all curious of why this is happening. If we are expected to exceed expectations like the full time employees do, we should be informed of what is going on at the company so we can fully understand how a small company such as Burns works.

7. Great internship Experience/ Good networking

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

Pros

-You are able to work along side the CEO and higher level executives of the company - Being able to work on big projects with well known clients -Networking with people who have been in the sport and entertainment industry for many years - Getting hands on experience with a highly regarded company -You are not just working in one area of the company, you are able to learn all sides of the industry.

Cons

- 15 week internship that is unpaid - Some times there is repetative reaserch, however it does end up being beneficial for a campaign

Valuable Internship Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

-High level of involvement -Great experience -Friendly staff -Your input is valued -Sit in on important conference calls -Assigned work is vital to the success of the company -You get involved in important projects -They are understanding about needing time off -Looks great on your resume -Will help you gain employment -They are very willing to recommend your work if you are deserving -Great intra-office communication -You get to see the results of your work -Gain college credit

Cons

-Unpaid, but the experience is as great as you make it -Some remedial work, but someone has to do it and it's an important foundation to your experience

Advice to Management

Continue the high level of involvement you provide to your interns. The experience I gained interning at Burns and the recommendations from Burns staff members were vital to my success in gaining employment.

9. Great Experience as an Intern at Burns Entertainment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

-Flexible work hours -Great team of people -Very involved with a lot of the larger scale projects -Able to present input -Looks great on a resume

Cons

-Unpaid, but received credits required to graduate from college -Non-compete agreement

Advice to Management

I wouldn't be where I am without my experience at Burns Entertainment. With close supervision of upper management, I was booking athlete appearances and negotiating with clients. I got these opportunities by working hard at the small things (answering phones, doing research, database updates, etc). 2 years after completing my internship, I still remain close not just with the full-time employees, but the interns I worked with then.

10. Great Experience in the Sports and Entertainment marketing world

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

Pros

- Burns has great connections within the entertainment world. - The managers will let you sit in on calls, help out extensively with various parts of deals. - There are 6 interns working at all times, which gives you a great chance to meet people - Bosses are understanding about it being an unpaid internship, will make sure you're out the door on time at the end of the day and that you take a full lunch break, etc. - Great experience working on several different types of deals, no two days were exactly the same. - Because it's a smaller company you get the opportunity to really be involved with the process.

Cons

- The internship is unpaid, but you can receive college credit for it.

Advice to Management

Continue allowing interns to be involved in projects they can claim some ownership over. One of my favorite things was being able to watch a commercial 8 months later and knowing I had something to do with making it happen.

Insecurity at Burns Entertainment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

The atmosphere is good for some. One of the Presidents of the company actually runs it. He is very talented and helps us out although very busy.

Cons

Low morale yet upper level management does not see it. Interns are treated like they are lucky to be there. Trust is non-existent between interns and managers. One manager is abusive.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what to expect when you are at Burns. As an intern, and I was eventually asked to join the company, but refused, it's just not consistent with what they tell you when you sign the non-compete agreement. Non-compete for a non-paying position. Make sense?

RSS Feed </> Embed